JPB

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:07 pm
ok, not that kind of snow, the other kind. The cottonwood snow that fills the air with fluff, my sinuses with whatever, and the gardens with enough pollen to turn everything white. A friend visited Monet's garden in Giverny during cottonwood season and couldn't see a thing. I'd forgotten when the flurries started to fall, but I see that it is NOW!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,601 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:18 pm
I almost bought a nice ranch in Palmdale surrounded with several of these big trees.Truely it's like it's snowing out when they blossom. Watch out for the air con as well.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:30 pm
The worst thing about cottonwoods is the "super-glue-like" substance on the seeds, which can adhere so firmly to the surface of an automobile, that one can chip the paint off in the attempt to remove them.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:35 pm
And the fresh, dry down burns so well, it's almost explosive.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:36 pm
You would certainly have an abundance of experience with the cottonwood, Roger, i suspect . . .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:39 pm
I miss the cotton wood snow. >sigh<
Here in austin we get SOME what of the same thing.. but not nearly as much and it isnt as nice.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:03 pm
roger wrote:
And the fresh, dry down burns so well, it's almost explosive.

A couple years ago my daughter came screaming into the house about some kids playing with matches near our woods and they'd started a fire. I looked out and saw three teens running away from our corner and there was a small fire going in the woods. I did a quick recon, saw that it was still spreading and called the fire dept. No great damage was done, but the fireman told me that the kids were probably torching the cottonwood. Huh? He said it burns like crazy and if there's enough of it, it's almost like a fuse to dynamite.

Mr B and our neighbor, being the little pyros that they are, decided to check it out. They were like little kids on the 4th of July. Mr B will have a certain glint in his eye when he sees the fallen snow.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:17 pm
Up here in The Northwoods, we've had a couple hard frosts over the past few evenings, and a couple days ago, mixed in with the early-morning spit-and-drizzle were a few snow flakes. The planting season here generally starts around Memorial Day. The only months of the year that are not recorded as having experienced a hard frost are July and August, and the only months without measureable snowfall are June, July, and August. Right now, the temperature locally is in the upper 40s, headed, according to the forecast, for the mid-50s. The recorded data for this date are: Average: High 65° Low 41° Record: High 85° (1998) Low 27° (1915), per the local paper's Almanac.

And we have plenty of cottonwoods - though it'll be some weeks yet before they spew forth their down. The down certainly does clog things like filters and screens when the phenomenon is at its peak and the wind's just right.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:20 pm
I'm awaiting my first cottonwood snow. Gonna be a doozy, we have giant ones in our yard. Any tips?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:21 pm
Yes. Next time, move into a house with a male tree.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:24 pm
How do I know that they are not male?

I know we have cottonwoods, that's all I know -- haven't ever been here during snow season.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:28 pm
Don't bother cleaning any of your window screens for a while, Soz. They'll be full of gunk in a couple weeks. If allofasudden you get sneezy and sinus headaches, you'll know why. This is the same time I gave in to taking Allerest last year.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:41 pm
You just can't tell till this time of year, so I guess it's too late. The males drop long, sticky things with little dragon heads. The females, well, you'll soon know.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:50 pm
Cottonwood: a soon to be released ashthma attack.In a world with no allergen we suffer sneezing through life.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 02:52 pm
I spent some time on the Colorado prairie. Pike's Peak was visible in the distance and Pike's Peak and the rest of the mountain range made absolutely sure that not one bit of Pacific Ocean moisture fell on Colorado Soil.

I got very fond of the green and defiant cottonwood trees.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 02:55 pm
sozobe wrote:
I'm awaiting my first cottonwood snow. Gonna be a doozy, we have giant ones in our yard. Any tips?

Cover the cars if you can.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 03:20 pm
Cottonwood the new bathroom 3 ply fiber miracle!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 03:25 pm
Cottonwood snow sounds nice.
All we got was a foot of real snow a few days ago,
and some foggy rain and snow flurries since then.

There was a bear on the ski slope last weekend, so
the people had to go somewhere else.

A few trees downtown look like cherry maybe, blossoms
like popcorn bursting out all over. Hard torrential rain blowing
diagonally right now ... Hey. Perfect weather
for a walk! <grabs long-coat and boots> Back in a couple hours!

Thanks for pointing out the weather... Very Happy
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 03:31 pm
How huch wood would a cottonwood wood if a wooded tree could wood ?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 09:29 pm
Too much!
0 Replies