Eorl

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:54 am
You are missing the point entirely brahmin.

What does a missionary personally gain by converting someone? Why do they do it? So the religion gets more followers...why would they care?Your reasons make no sense.

There is a world of difference between what you think they do and what they think they do.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:15 am
I see you are not interested in answering the question you posed, nor do you wish to learn anything.

Rather you have a sermon to make, and your own brand of religious intolerance to distribute.

Go ahead...knock yourself out.

I was trying to help because I thought you actually wanted to understand....but I'm beginning to suspect that understanding the motivations of others is not one of your strengths.

In return, you could not be more rude and obnoxious (although I'm quite sure you'll give it shot).

I'll not talk with you further.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:23 am
good decision - cause in talking to me you only manage to betray the support you have to a cause as despicable as that of the missionariries, & manage to betray the fact that you choose to condone all the duplicity and humbuggery that goes into the missionaries' taking advantage of people and their economic misfortunes.

in short you are no less intolerant than the average missionary - only that you prefer to stay in your armchair. well thats at least on reason why i am thankful to you - you at least dont bring your nefarious designs to reality.

i hope you realise, lobotomy or congenital myopia, that even if the missionaries have nothing whatsoever to gain from the conversion (not at all true - they have a lot to gain), it still dont get them off the hook, for taking unfair advantage of the plight of the unfortunate people of other religions - by conning them with carrots, and in more than one case causeing complete "social genocide"

missionaries we all know, say one thing only to do another (say they are "helping" when all they are doing is "converting") but i sincerely hope you are as good as your word and wont answer back with another one of your baseless rants.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:07 pm
brahmin wrote:
and is that cultural genocide likely to stop anytime soon ??
It already has. If a culture dwindles or dies because its practitioners opt for a different culture, that's evolution, not genocide.

Quote:
or will they keep trying to convert till the last red indian has a name like martin, joshua or william?
The indigenous people of America are no longer forced to attend parochial boarding schools aimed at destroying their cultural heritage. Indeed, these institutions have ceased operating many decades ago.

Quote:
after they have done converting all things two legged, will they christianise cows? i dont put it beyond those bovine missionaries - oblivious as they choose to be about the irreparable social damage they inflict on non-christians.
You speak as though they had some nefarious technique for converting people--is it hypnosis? Subliminal messages perhaps? And what "irreparable social damage" are they causing to people who choose to adopt a different culture or set of religious beliefs. It would be wrong to force people to adopt a culture or set of religious beliefs, but what could possibly be wrong with making them aware of the different choices?

Quote:
as for missionaries "forcing" their religion - they dont have to do that. they have worked out better ways. whether or not they have taken a leaf out of the popular management books, is anyone's guess - but they market their product in the same persistant way in which, lets say, nike shoes or durex condoms does. and over time, and under the influence of many different kinds of carrots, they induce/con (as different from force) their victims into accepting christianity. h.b.s. could learn a lot from them.
It's an unfortunate reality that in the marketplace of ideas you actually have to market your ideas. Yet, despite Nike's best efforts, not everyone chooses to purchase and wear their shoes.

Quote:
and no recipient of aid decides to adopt the missionaries religion. thats the condition they have to fullfill to keep getting supplies.
That simply isn't the way the vast majority of missionaries operate; most seek to convert by example, not compulsion.

Quote:
and thats precisely whats meant by "conning" - missionaries do appear to give a lot of help/aid - but actually thats just the means to an end - thats just hogwash - thats just how they sugar coat their henious intentions.
In general, what's so heinous about trying to get others to believe as you do? We're doing that very thing right now--each trying to convince others of the merit of our ideas.

Quote:
the actual line of approach that missionaries maintain is "first 2 weeks / months medicine/food free - after that, if you want more medicine/food then convert".
Again, this simply isn't how most missionaries operate. However, with regard to the pitifully small minority who do employ this sort of tactic, can we really fault them for taking advantage of a social welfare void that our governments refuse to fill?

Quote:
with mother T, it was - "convert before you expect even a single medicine tablet or morsel of food". no wonder she was the queen of all the social genociders !!
What is your source for this? Mother Theresa did not force people to convert before giving them aid.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:18 pm
Eorl, I appreciate you position, considering you label yourself as atheist.

Brahmin, what started this hatred of yours. Did a missionary kill your father?

What got you thinking about this?
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:10 pm
SCoates wrote:
Eorl, I appreciate you position, considering you label yourself as atheist.

Brahmin, what started this hatred of yours. Did a missionary kill your father?

What got you thinking about this?

Or did the missionary kill Brahmin's father? In the spirit of the season I offer up this possible but hypothetical dramatization--

Missionary: Brahmin...[sound of respirator--SHOO-PAW]...you do not have to endure this spiritual vacuum...[SHOO-PAW]...join me and together we will bring peace and order to the world by converting everyone to Christianity.

Brahmin: [Cradling his hand which had been wounded by a vicious blow from the Missionary's Bible] I'll never join you...I hate you...YOU KILLED MY FATHER!

Missionary: Brahmin...[SHOO-PAW]...I AM your father!

Brahmin: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
0 Replies