Any professional voice actors here?

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2019 04:01 pm
Hi. I am interested in producing my own animations and showcasing them online in video form, with the intention of capitalizing off of them.

I am looking into getting the training I want and need so I can learn how to voice act professionally for my own cartoons. I would also like to hire a few voice actors to help me voice my characters with me.

Are there any professional voice actors here? Or anyone with any voice acting, or regular acting experience?

I would like to know this, because I have technical questions about voice acting. I am hoping there's at least one person here on A2k who can give me pointers on how to voice act and do it professionally. Teach me about vocal exercises, developing a wide vocal range, etc.

Please let me know- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,828 • Replies: 25
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2019 07:18 pm
@JGoldman10,
A coupla times I did the High school announcements over the PA, and I did em as either Donld Duck or Beaky Buzzard and I got summarily chewed out and did more "jug time" for demeaning the somber character of the daily announcements.
Who the hell cared what we were having for lunch tomorow or where the chess club was meeting? ll those people alredy knew and most of us geeks were trying to live under the radar.

We had a vice principal, Father Beninus, we called him "Gruppenfuhrer"
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2019 07:09 am
@JGoldman10,
I've done quite a bit of acting and stand up.

I can do all sorts of accents and I'm willing to help.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2019 08:31 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Hi. I am interested in producing my own animations and showcasing them online in video form, with the intention of capitalizing off of them.

I am looking into getting the training I want and need so I can learn how to voice act professionally for my own cartoons. I would also like to hire a few voice actors to help me voice my characters with me.

I would like to go back to my old art school and take Continuing Ed courses in voice acting.
Ragman

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2019 03:18 pm
@JGoldman10,
Have you called them to ask if they have voice acting classes? What was their answer?
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2019 03:47 pm
@Ragman,
I didn't have to. The information about their voice acting courses is on my old art school's official website.

izzythepush wrote:

I've done quite a bit of acting and stand up.

I can do all sorts of accents and I'm willing to help.

Okay. So you can drop your English accent and do American ones like Bob Hoskins did?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2019 04:16 pm
@JGoldman10,
Yes, but wouldn't it be better to use an American for American accents?
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2019 04:52 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes, I would think so.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2019 07:34 pm
@JGoldman10,
So when are you going to start those classes?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2019 08:11 pm
@izzythepush,
I remember Benny Hill, and if I recall correctly he used to do a lot of impressions of American pop figures, and with every impression of American pop figures he did he dropped his English accent.

Can you do Scottish, Irish, Welsh and Manx accents?

Ragman wrote:

So when are you going to start those classes?

When I have the time and money for them.
chai2

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2019 08:45 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I remember Benny Hill, and if I recall correctly he used to do a lot of impressions of American pop figures, and with every impression of American pop figures he did he dropped his English accent.

But he didn't do them very well.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2019 02:46 am
@JGoldman10,
Benny Hill was terrible. He's a local boy which makes it a lot worse. He used to live just down the road from Southampton in Eastleigh.

British actors are better than American actors at doing the other country's accents.

That's because American television takes up a lot of space on our airwaves and the reverse isn't true. You don't see anywhere near as much British telly so the speech is less familiar.

What do you mean by Manx? Do you mean Manchester or the Isle of Man?
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2019 10:08 am
@izzythepush,
Manx, as in relating to the Isle of Man.
Ragman

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2019 10:12 am
@JGoldman10,
So how. would anyone who does voice-over work help you. Would they “donate” their time or teach you how for free?

Do you think you can learn all of these online monetizing schemes for free?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2019 10:24 am
@JGoldman10,
I don't think there's that distinctive an accent. It's a tax haven and attracts, (mostly rich,) people from all over.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2019 05:50 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I don't think there's that distinctive an accent. It's a tax haven and attracts, (mostly rich,) people from all over.

I have no idea what a Manx accent or a Welsh accent sounds like, but I can certainly distinguish between an English, Irish and a Scottish one.

Ragman wrote:

So how. would anyone who does voice-over work help you. Would they “donate” their time or teach you how for free?

Do you think you can learn all of these online monetizing schemes for free?

As I said, I would like to learn how to professionally voice act. I would like to get the proper training for that. I would like to take Continuing Ed courses in voice acting at my old art school. Or through some other venue.

I have a bunch of different characters I created that I would like to voice.

When I am ready to produce my own animated cartoons, I would like to hire a few voice actors to voice my own characters with me.

It would be great if I can employ a handful of voice actors who can do multiple different voices- that would save me a lot of time and money.

If you're talking about employing a voice acting coach, then that's a good idea. I didn't think of that.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2019 01:34 am
@JGoldman10,
I don't think Manx has a specific accent, when most people do it they tend to adopt a general northern accent.

Shadwell is Welsh.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2019 05:31 am
@JGoldman10,
Well it sounds as though you have a plan. Good luck with your pursuit. A voice acting coach and even a career coach might help you with your goal.

Try to keep the focus in one area instead of many areas so you can achieve success. Over a period of time I’ve seen a history of your posts here on this forum and it seems you have many different areas of interest centering around online “comics” and animated stories and whatnot.

You might want to try to stick to one area and see that one through. I recognize how hard it can be without a certain amount of finances behind he pursuit of an education that might pay off with employment.

Focus and dedication to one discipline might help you reach your goal quicker. That’s just one mans opinion. Perhaps others may agree?

Good luck no matter which path you choose.
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2019 05:38 am
@Ragman,
or not
Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2019 05:57 am
@farmerman,
Care to elaborate?