Is there life after death?

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:49 pm
I'm more than a little curious to see how this topic goes. I aleady know what I think and want to know what you think.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,244 • Replies: 44
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:58 pm
I've never seen anything to indicate that there is.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:59 pm
I doubt the sincerity of your opening statement. I strongly suspect that you are attempting provocation. So . . . i'm outta here . . .
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 12:44 am
How do you define it?

Could be, but if I simply say "yes" I think it could be argued that the following things could qualify as life after death:
reincarnation, 50+ various "pagan" afterlives, Egyptian tinged afterlives, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, Muslim, self-styled NewAgers, the consequences of your actions in this life, your body and its molecules living on in the universe, your energy and the matter of your body & being dispersed, recycled and re-created throughout the universe, your body and its matter being consumed by and living in other living beings, your spirit in the spirit of others you touched while alive, your legacy, your place in history, your influence on the human race, your children, ...I'm not even getting warmed up...others can add many other types of potential afterlives that are possible.

What do we mean by afterlife? If some of the above qualify, I most definitely think a part of us lives on after this particular carbon-based body ceases to live.
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 01:22 am
I hope so.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 02:05 am
If there isn't, we'll never know.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 02:50 am
There is no life after death, there is only death after life.

I just thought that sounded good but, that said, yes I do believe there is some form of 'life' after death.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 02:55 am
I believe that there is some form of life after death too.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 05:01 am
I hope not. Right now my only concern is getting out of school - I can't imagine how anxious I'll be when I'm 70 and can't wait to get out of life. Once I'm gone, I'm gone. This is a non-refundable trip, and I do NOT want to take another tour.
0 Replies

Marquis de Carabas

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:15 am
No.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:28 am
Solomon wrote:
For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all
(Ecclesiastes 9:5)

Oh, excuse me; you were looking for a bible based answer, were you not?
0 Replies

gospelmancan2

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:19 pm
Setanta wrote:
I doubt the sincerity of your opening statement. I strongly suspect that you are attempting provocation. So . . . i'm outta here . . .

Too bad. I was curious about your views. We may not agree on much but I admire your passionate defence of your opinions.
0 Replies

gospelmancan2

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:44 pm
neologist wrote:
Solomon wrote:
For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all
(Ecclesiastes 9:5)

Oh, excuse me; you were looking for a bible based answer, were you not?

Actually, I wasn't specifically. The context of this verse to me (and many other Biblical scholars) is more in relation to the concerns of the world than of direct reference to our fate after death. The entire theme of Ecclesiastes is the futility of worldly knowledge, goods and striving.
Consider the following verse by the same writer.
Ecclesiastes 3:21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?
The context being brought forward in the previous two verses is of the death of all. To me, the writer is stating that he sees that although death comes to all, the spiritual destination of man is differant than of beasts.
If this is the case he is contradicting his own argument if the context for 9:5 is as you say.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:01 pm
The question is about as meaningful as the question "Was there life before birth?"
0 Replies

gospelmancan2

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:45 pm
JLNobody wrote:
The question is about as meaningful as the question "Was there life before birth?"
Good question. Was there?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:55 pm
Can't recall.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:49 pm
Here's the short answer, gos:
There is a difference between spirit and soul. Your soul is you, your life, your right to life. The spirit is your life force, the energy which keeps you going. It belongs to God but has no personality of its own, just as the holy spirit has no personality of its own. I hope that helps.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:58 pm
Interesting distinction, Neologist.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:57 pm
"Is there life after death?" Gospelmancan2

"Of course there is, otherwise this life would be meaningless." Kryten—an android in "Red Dwarf"

Sometimes I find it hard to believe that I'm alive at all—the odds are against it—much less speculating about a future life.
0 Replies

gospelmancan2

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 12:38 am
I would hate to think that Kryten thought otherwise. I used to love Red Dwarf.
0 Replies