Does climate "go both ways?"

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2019 11:50 am
In his meeting with Prince Charles, Trump is reported to have claimed that climate changes in both ways, but that it is safe to say it is getting more extreme. Further, he said that the US is polluting less than Asian economies where more industrial pollution is occurring.

Presumably he is ignoring rising CO2 levels as a problem, despite the fact that they are at elevated levels that don't seem to be dropping.

So Trump seems to be challenging the US to take responsibility for its consumerism and produce instead of importing what it buys, and to prove that domestic producers can pollute less than off-shore producers.

Is that even possible? Are US consumption and transportation habits ever going to be compatible with sustainable resource use? Not without reforms, but will the general public and business communities ever be up to the huge challenges of reform voluntarily, i.e. without being forced to by government or economic necessity? Probably not.

So Trump may be right, but it probably won't get solved during or after his term. What's worse is that a Green New Deal could actually make things worse by further expanding the automotive-consumer economy as it resists change.

So the solution is for the people to take the liberty of changing on their own, without government, but when if ever will that happen?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,513 • Replies: 3
No top replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2019 07:14 am
@livinglava,
Trump knows Nothing about climate, other than what his scriptwriters tell him.

If I thought you, actually, interested in your impending extinction - Via GSM effect on global thermodynamics - I'd explain.

Have you any idea what is taking place in the REAL world?
Because, if you do, you're asking the most idiotic questions - For no discernible reasons, I can fathom out.
livinglava

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2019 07:23 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Trump knows Nothing about climate, other than what his scriptwriters tell him.

If I thought you, actually, interested in your impending extinction - Via GSM effect on global thermodynamics - I'd explain.

Have you any idea what is taking place in the REAL world?
Because, if you do, you're asking the most idiotic questions - For no discernible reasons, I can fathom out.

I have my disagreements with the POV expressed by Trump; and I don't worry about whether it is his personally or his administration is scripting it for him. Those are petty issues that don't add anything constructive.

What I am trying to focus on in this thread is taking the statement that was made, i.e. the one that is now on record; and interpreting/extrapolating implications.

I.e. If Trump says that other countries are polluting more and he's for shifting production out of those other countries and replacing it with more US domestic production, then we should look at how that will affect resource use, including land-use and development, and pollution.
mark noble

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2019 12:40 pm
@livinglava,
Human pollution is NOT the cause of why the S is about to hit the fan.
The sun is about to go micronova - It happens every 12 thousand years.

Everything else you are told - Is to distract you.

What humans are causing is highly destructive to much of Earth's flora, fauna and atmospheric cycles - But what's coming is by far a greater nemesis.

Do YOUR homework - Don't just accept someone else's as 'viable' - Mine neither.

I'll be going 'completely' off-grid this August - So best of everything to you, and all.

Goodbye - And thanks for all the fish.
0 Replies