If you could be immortal, would you?

Reply Thu 23 May, 2019 09:45 am
If you could be immortal, would you? Or... how long would you extend your life if immortality is... TOOOO long?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,830 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Ponderer

Reply Thu 23 May, 2019 10:44 am
@tsarstepan,
Interesting for a few minutes, but soooo annoying.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 23 May, 2019 02:11 pm
I would like to live at least until I am ready to die, if that point ever comes.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 23 May, 2019 02:40 pm
I couldn’t watch that video either but no, I wouldn’t want to be immortal. Even if there was no effects because of disease, accidents etc, and the aging process was stopped.

I think I would eventually lose all empathy and sympathy for humanity, viewing them as no more than a gnat as far as their lives, problems, joys.

I already am disgusted with people in so many regards, like praying to a supernatural power to “make him/her like me” or admiring celebrities because....well I’m not at all sure why.

I just thought for a moment I might not mind being one of those Bristlecone pine trees that live for thousands of years. Then I remember how some fuckwad moron of a scientist cut one down to see how old it was. It was until he reached something like 1500 rings, with more left, that he realized what he had done.
It was 5000 years old. Edit I just read he was actually trying to obtain a core sample but the bit got stuck and a Park ranger felled the tree to get the bit out. Yeah, I bet a 5000 old anything would take being drilled into really well.

So no, living on the same planet forever with things like that holds no appeal.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 23 May, 2019 02:49 pm
@chai2,
I wouldent mind living for a thousand years so I could learn more about the things around me. But immoratility holds no thrills for me. Especially if my health wouldent be improved. Who in their right mind would want to spend 900 years in bed unable to move?
0 Replies

Ponderer

Reply Thu 23 May, 2019 09:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have said-
Every day is another chance to get it right.
So, yeah.
mark noble

Reply Fri 24 May, 2019 12:51 pm
@Ponderer,
Up until you get 'it' right...
Then what?
Get 'it' wrong again?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 24 May, 2019 02:34 pm
There can no be such a thing as being immortal due to the law of probability sooner or later would have you on a crashing plane or in the path of a killer tornado or whatever so not dying due to never growing old or from diseases only mean that you might live for a few hundred years if you are lucky but not forever and a day.

Hell I was walking by Hemingway old home in key west when a large tree branch broke falling on my shoulder and if it was a few inches to the right it could had hit my head with enough force to kill me.

Sorry even if you are given a free pass from dying by aging or diseases you are not going to be immortal at least without supernatural aid.

coluber2001

Reply Fri 24 May, 2019 03:06 pm
@BillRM,
It looks like we're headed not for a green world but a "Soylent Green" world, a dead world. Who would want to live then? People couldn't wait to get to Mars, an even deader world.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 24 May, 2019 10:12 pm
Yes. I've always felt that way and I feel that way now.
0 Replies