Outrage over Japan's plan to slaughter humpback whales

msolga

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 02:54 am
Fedral

I might just be in that! The Japanese are saying that the Australians & other anti-whaling countries are being "imperialistic" in their attitudes towards Japan's plans. The Commission is not going too well for the whales. Sad Mad I can't, for the life of me, comprehend an "industry" based on killing whales. How can we all see things so differently? Confused Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:57 am
Japan closes on whaling victory
By Andrew Darby
Ulsan, South Korea
June 20, 2005/the AGE

Australia is taken by surprise as more countries back Japan's position on whaling.

Japan has furthered its ambition of resuming commercial whaling after winning the crucial votes of a number of member countries on the International Whaling Commission.... <cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/japan-closes-on-whaling-victory/2005/06/19/1119119727614.html?oneclick=true
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 04:19 am
Whale raider
June 20, 2005/the Age

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/06/19/whale_2006_wideweb__430x200.jpg

It could be harpoons at 20 paces when the International Whaling Commission gets down to business in South Korea today. On the agenda is Japan's push to expand whaling - a move Australia has fought hard to block.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/06/19/pt_whale2_2006_ent-lead__200x204.jpg

"One thing is for sure about this meeting," says Darren Kindleysides, a campaigner for the International Fund for Animal Welfare. "More whales will die after it than before."

.....Of critical importance to the whalers will be the effect of Japan's new "scientific" plan has on countries like the US, which wants timely completion of the RMS. "I strongly hope our new research program would not offend the middleminded countries," Moronuki says.

There appears to be no chance that Japan could achieve the 75 per cent of votes needed to overturn the moratorium this week. But if the RMS fall into a stalemate what will be the consequences?

<complete article>
http://www.theage.com.au/news/general/whale-raider/2005/06/19/1119119726545.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 04:32 am
Japan to more than double 'research' whale hunts
June 20, 2005 - 11:15AM/SMH

Japan said today it would more than double its catch of minke whales and extend its hunt to whales considered endangered, defying international pressure to give up its "research" whaling.

Japan plans to catch about 850 minkes annually in the Antarctic Ocean starting with a voyage in late 2005, said its research plan submitted to the International Whaling Commission (IWC) at the opening of an annual meeting in the South Korean port of Ulsan.

The quota system lets a country go 10 per cent above or below the round figure, meaning Japan could go up to 935 minke whales.

Japan now has a guideline of 400 whales a year and most years kills the top limit of 440.

AFP
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 06:50 am
The Japanese are environmental terrorists.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 05:18 am
Japan's commercial whaling bid rejected
By Ulsan, South Korea
June 22, 2005/the AGE

The International Whaling Commission has rejected a bid by Japan to push through a document aimed at eventually resuming commercial whaling, with anti-whaling nations labelling it "an insult".

The measure, which would have required a three quarters majority, was voted down by 29 votes to 23, failing even to secure a simple majority of the 66-member bloc.... <cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/japans-commercial-whaling-bid-rejected/2005/06/21/1119321730608.html?oneclick=true

Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 05:30 am
International Whaling Commission fact file
By smh.com.au
June 21, 2005/SMH

The International Whaling Commission was set up under the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling, which was signed in Washington, DC, on December 2, 1946.

The purpose of the convention is to provide for the proper conservation of whale stocks and so to make the orderly development of the whaling industry possible.... <cont>

http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/international-whaling-commission-fact-file/2005/06/21/1119321723473.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 05:36 am
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/06/20/whales1_gallery__550x422.jpg
Two humpback whales breach as they move out of Sydney Harbour on Sunday.
Photo: AFP
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 05:57 am
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200506/r50403_134037.jpg

... (Australian) Federal Environment Minister Senator Ian Campbell has welcomed the Commission's decision.

He has told ABC Radio he plans to use the momentum from today's decision to move a motion at the Commission tomorrow to stop Japan from commercial whaling under the guise of science.

"To basically say to Japan in very clear terms that blowing up whales, destroying them with explosives and slicing them up and selling them in Japanese whale restaurants, is not science," he said.

"We would hope that if we can get the sort of vote we've had today hopefully even better that will send a strong signal to Japan."

Senator Campbell earlier told ABC Sydney Radio there is renewed speculation Japan is paying small countries such as Nauru to join the commission and vote for the resumption of whaling.

He says the accusations are difficult to prove, but may hold some truth.

"You just wonder why some of these nations all of a sudden have shown no interest in this issue for years and years all of a sudden become members and turn up here," he said.

"It begs the question why and you have to start beginning to think these very alarming allegations about bribery and corruption have some substance."

Senator Campbell questioned the validity of the IWC, calling it "an organisation that's operating in the shadows".

"It's regularly having secret sort of meetings and this sort of signing up a whole bunch of countries at the last moment is certainly something that would make any reasonable sensible person wonder what's going on in this - the body that should be looking after whales."

Senator Campbell again attacked Japan for its use of explosive-tipped harpoons to kill whales.

"The whale sanctuary movement is an important part of our strategy and of course the whale slaughtering nations like Japan are standing in the way of that," he said.

"They would prefer to blow whales up with grenades."...
<excerpt>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200506/s1397268.htm
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 06:40 am
Let's make a deal.

For each whale killed, we kill one Japanese politician....for scientific purposes..to see if they have a functioning BRAIN!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 04:29 am
woiyo

<sigh>

The Australians (along with many others) & the Japanese are on different planets on this issue. There are so many more battles to come after this one & the International Whaling Commission is obviously a corruptible & imperfect organization to properly protect these precious creatures. A short reprieve is all that's been gained. So there'll be another battle before too long. Surely we can do better than this? <sigh>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 04:53 am
Japan vows to step up whale kill program
By Andrew Darby and Agencies
June 22, 2005 - 5:54PM

Japan has vowed to go ahead with plans to increase its research whaling program and extend it to two threatened species, despite condemnation by the International Whaling Commission.

Australia and other anti-whaling nations won by 30 votes to 27 a resolution condemning Japan's Antarctic "research whaling" program and asking it to withdraw the plan.... <cont>

http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/japan-vows-to-step-up-whale-kill-program/2005/06/22/1119321785586.html?oneclick=true
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 05:33 am
Last Update: Wednesday, June 22, 2005. 8:28pm (AEST)

Japan has suffered another setback at the IWC meeting. (ABC TV)

Japan loses bid to scrap Antarctic whale sanctuary

Japan has lost a bid at the International Whaling Commission (IWC) to do away with a decade-old whale sanctuary in the Antarctic that it said was no longer ecologically justified.

The IWC rejected Japan's proposal by 25 votes to 30, failing to give the pro-whaling bloc even a simple majority.... <cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200506/s1398374.htm
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 06:25 am
There is absooltely NO REASON, scientific or otherwise, to kill a whale. NONE...ZERO...

I can barley accept the rights of Alaskan Natives hunting a few for food, etc... BUT THAT"S IT!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 06:39 am
woiyo

Obviously I agree with you.
But there must be some better way to protect whales than the International Whaling Commission! Sure, the right decision was made this time ... but what about the next time, or the time after that? It is such a corruptible process!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 06:54 am
You won't like my idea but here it is.

All Nations, or maybe via the UN, pass a resolution/international law, protecting all species of Whales from hunting with the rearest of exclusions such as Alaskan Natives for example. I would expect the Navy's of each member Nation to sink any ship in the act of Whale hunting and if caught with a dead Whale, all crew members of that ship will be arrested for life.

Realistic? Probably not, but that is how I feel about this matter.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 06:59 am
Apart from also noting that the people of the Faroe Islands ought also to be excepted, and allowed their traditional hunt--i almost agree. I can't accept sinking ships at sea without a much better reason. I can accept stopping them, seizing them, and upon conviction in an admiralty court, condemning them as prizes, and auctioning them off, the proceeds to be divided among the capturing crew. Piracy is still with us; but when nations have decided to end piracy in a particular area, that method has always worked, because of the incentive.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:03 am
Setanta wrote:
Apart from also noting that the people of the Faroe Islands ought also to be excepted, and allowed their traditional hunt--i almost agree. I can't accept sinking ships at sea without a much better reason. I can accept stopping them, seizing them, and upon conviction in an admiralty court, condemning them as prizes, and auctioning them off, the proceeds to be divided among the capturing crew. Piracy is still with us; but when nations have decided to end piracy in a particular area, that method has always worked, because of the incentive.

Sounds more realistic, but where is the penalty to the crew/captain??
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 07:10 am
The only solution I can see is to fine the companies profiting from whale slaughter to the skies! Whaling is all about making money, of course, so make it unprofitable! But (obviously) to do this, we need an international body with integrity & real authority to make & enforce the law in this area. A long, long way off, I fear.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:17 am
I've scanned most of these posts and did not see exactly what the scientific reasearch is. Does anyone know exactly what the Japanese will be researching from dead whales?? What is ti exactly that we absolutely need to know that we must kill them to find out?
0 Replies