Outrage over Japan's plan to slaughter humpback whales

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:25 am
The whales will start their "thank you, hunters" choir soon, cjhsa.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:35 am
Walter et al, if you'd go back and read my posts, you might realize that I've not promoted the hunting of whales. Rather, I've attacked the tactics used by the enviro-terrorists.

As I'm sure you know, there is no commercial hunting whatsoever in the U.S. It was banned long ago and replaced with managed public hunting seasons. Some species are off limits - like whales.

But there are those who still wish to disrupt the hunting process and end it forever as "inhumane" or whatever. Most of these people have no problem going to the store to buy meat, yet they will blare their horns at hunters and yell and scream and even go into the woods to disrupt the hunt. Fortunately, this is illegal in all fifty states and is considered hunter harrassment. Every year hunters make sure a few of them spend a night in jail for their efforts - not to mention the hefty fines.

I see your sea-tards harrassing the whalers who are legally harvesting Minkes (I already retracted my statements on Humpbacks), and I cannot help but make the connection to the anti-hunt idiots riding their horse through the deer hunting grounds in November.

Every place that bans hunting winds up with an animal population problem. Look at New Jersey. They banned bear hunting. Now, they have way too many bears, getting into peoples stuff and killing their pets. Guess what? They've reintroduced the hunt, much to the horror of the anti-hunt bear huggers.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 01:07 pm
Not about whales, but it's related news, thought:

act 1: Greenpeace fish protest targets Findus

act 2 and the end: Findus fires fishy suppliers
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 05:52 am
msolga wrote:

Nor do I believe "scientific research" has anything to do with what the whalers in that Japanese "research" ship were actually doing. I've done numerous Google searches in vain attempts to discover the findings of their supposed research. It is whale meat for the Japanese market, nothing more nothing less. A commercial enterprise.

About 10-15 years ago I saw a documentary on the scientific research done by Japanese whalers. They carefully measured the carcasses when they came on board the ships. They then removed a gland (from memory the pituitary gland), measured that very carefully and then placed it in a carefully labelled bottle of formaldehyde. Evidently there is now this incredible body of information regarding the ratio between the size of the gland and the size of the whale from which it came. And that is scientific research.

When the interviewer asked how it was that the rest of the whale was sold commercially the response was that it would be immoral to just dump the rest of the whale back into the ocean when they needed such a small part of it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:46 am
lezzles wrote:
[...]
And that is scientific research.

When the interviewer asked how it was that the rest of the whale was sold commercially the response was that it would be immoral to just dump the rest of the whale back into the ocean when they needed such a small part of it.

Well, they really do a lot of research and obviously still need a lot of "small pieces":

Quote:
In 2002, Japanese whalers took 5 Sperm, 39 Sei, 50 Bryde's and 150 Minke Whales in the northern catch area and 440 Minke Whales in the southern catchment area. The catch was carried out under the IWC's special licence for whaling research.

Total numbers for the 2004-2005 whaling season were 441 minke whales ( SH area pelagic ) 100 minke whales ( NP area pelagic ) and 60 minke whales in coastal regions of Japan. 3 sperm whales and 51 Bryde´s whales were also taken ( pelagic ) during this period bringing the total number of whales in the 2004/05 season to 780 ( Source IWC official figures )

In 2005, the JARPA scientific research program was replaced by the JARPA-II program, which increases the quota of Minke whales to 900, and more controversially, adds Fin whales to the program, with a quota of 10 animals in 2005. This move has sparked a great deal of controversy among anti-whaling nations, in particular because fin whales are listed as endangered under the Convention on International Trade on Endangered Species. From 2007, Japan plans to start taking up to 50 humpback whales and 50 fin whales annually.
source: Wikipedia
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:48 am
Can someone explain the process for getting something OFF of the endangered species list?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:55 am
In the USA, an "endangered" species is one that is in danger of extinction throughout all or a significant portion of its range. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Internationally, it's the "Red list", criteria are to be found here
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:18 pm
Thanks for your post, lezzles, & welcome to the tread.

Yep, that's about usual sort of "scientific findings" that I've discovered, too. Surprising, considering all the self justifying noises that are made by the Japanese whaling interests in the media. You'd think they'd make the effort to up with a few more convincing "findings", considering the growing international pressure that they're under.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 12:06 am
VICTORY IN ARGENTINA!

A popular seafood company in Argentina, Pesquera Santa Elena was using Nissui fish in its products. In just 2 days, over 21,000 Argentine cyberactivists contacted the company and downloaded stickers to place on Santa Elena products in super markets, to highlight that the company was implicated in the killing of whales.

We now have a signed commitment from the president of Santa Elena not to buy any more surimi from Nissui. The company even committed to donate about US$60,000 to an organisation working on whale conservation if they ever violate the agreement. Public support made all the difference.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:50 am
Id like to "sticker up" any Gortons products
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:50 am
Id like to "sticker up" any Gortons products
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:34 pm
(the second time I'm posting a response here. Gremlins ate the first one, apparently ...)

Yeah, go for it, farmerman!

Stradee

Hey, that's very encouraging news. Congratulations, Argentina!

... & as a letter writer to my local paper pointed out this morning: The Japanese whalers are still in the Southern Ocean. Still killing whales in the "sanctuary" supposedly protected by Australia. But now that Greenpeace have left, we just don't hear about it any more. <sigh>
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 09:40 pm
Here is a link to an interesting article msolga and I were talking about on another thread: http://www.salvonet.com/eia/cgi/news/news.cgi?a=145&t=template.htm

Apparently one use the Japanese find for the whales that they kill is to put them into pet food; all the while claiming they need the meat! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 09:47 pm
Well, that link doesn't work for me anymore, so here's a different article about it:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200602/s1567589.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:01 pm
Thanks for posting that, cypher. The last link worked, no problem.
Here's the text of the article. What can you possibly say to this? Outrageous!:

Saturday, February 11, 2006. 9:43am (AEDT)

Japan using whale meat for dog food: report

Japan's stock of whale meat from hunting for scientific research is so large that the country has begun selling it as dog food, a leading marine conservation organisation says.

British-based charity the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society (WDCS) says Japan's whale meat stocks had doubled over the past 10 years as it increased the number of animals it killed every year, despite a global ban on commercial hunting.

"Whaling is a cruel activity and the fact that Japan is killing these amazing animals to produce dog food is shocking," WDCS science director Mark Simmonds said.

"We have heard many arguments from Japan over the years about why whaling is necessary to them but they have never stated that they needed to kill whales to feed their dogs."

Japan abandoned commercial whaling in 1986, in line with an international moratorium, but began catching whales again the following year for what it calls scientific research.

The WDCS says Japan's stockpile of whale meat stood at 4,800 tonnes last year compared with 673 tonnes in March 1998, and that this year it had doubled its hunt of minke whales as well as adding humpback and fin whales to the tally.

It estimated this could add a further 1,700 tonnes of whale meat to the already bursting warehouses.

In an attempt to shift the rising whale meat mountains, Japan had already resorted to subsidising sales of whale burgers and whale meat in school menus, but prices were falling steadily due to the surplus.

WDCS says it has now found a website advertising whale meat for pet food, extolling its virtues as "organic" and "safe and healthy" coming from factories already processing whale meat for human consumption.

"WDCS hopes that the overt use of whales for dog food in Japan will expose its scientific whaling program as a politically motivated sham," the organisation said on its website.

- Reuters
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:34 pm
I recieved the following last December, but felt it was worth sharing with you folks here.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 10:41 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

Well, you certainly wouldn't be the same after that, would you, c.i.? What an experience! Very Happy I hope she sailed happily off to sea after that, with no further complications!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 11:04 pm

"Scientific whaling", my boot!

Mountains of whale meat stock-pile in warehouses!:

QUOTE: The WDCS says Japan's stockpile of whale meat stood at 4,800 tonnes last year compared with 673 tonnes in March 1998, and that this year it had doubled its hunt of minke whales as well as adding humpback and fin whales to the tally.

It estimated this could add a further 1,700 tonnes of whale meat to the already bursting warehouses.

In an attempt to shift the rising whale meat mountains, Japan had already resorted to subsidising sales of whale burgers and whale meat in school menus, but prices were falling steadily due to the surplus.

WDCS says it has now found a website advertising whale meat for pet food, extolling its virtues as "organic" and "safe and healthy" coming from factories already processing whale meat for human consumption.

"WDCS hopes that the overt use of whales for dog food in Japan will expose its scientific whaling program as a politically motivated sham," the organisation said on its website.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 06:50 am
I wonder what all the apologists for whaling say now with that information.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 07:39 am
I'll take a double whale burger with cheese.
0 Replies