Outrage over Japan's plan to slaughter humpback whales

msolga

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 11:54 pm
Einherjar wrote:
farmerman wrote:
CJ- I think that your overdramatizing what everyone is saying inorder to mount a moral high ground.

FM- I think that you're failing to read the post directly above your own.

So what's so upsetting about a little whale revenge fantasy, Einherjar?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 07:00 am
Why do I not find it surprising that you fantasize about Moby Dick?

Smile
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 12:07 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Why do I not find it surprising that you fantasize about Moby Dick?

Smile

Shame on you! Shocked
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:39 pm
Why am I not the slightest bit surprised by your last post, cjhsa? It's about as relevant as just about everything else you've posted here.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 05:56 pm
Australia joins diplomatic stand on whaling
January 19, 2006/the AGE

ANTI-WHALING nations, including Australia, have again joined in a diplomatic protest to Tokyo. A Brazilian diplomat delivered a statement on behalf of 17 nations to two government departments this week urging Japan to stop its Antarctic whaling.

The statement said Japan was now killing more whales for "scientific research" every year in the Antarctic than it killed in 31 years in the postwar commercial whaling era.

Australian Environment Minister Ian Campbell said statement was demonstrated the widening coalition of opposition, but Greens leader Bob Brown said Japan was thumbing its nose at world opinion and that "for Australia and New Zealand to give up on a legal challenge is a big mistake".

Asked about the value of such protests, Japanese fisheries official Hideki Moronuki said: "Nothing … There are currently in the (International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling) 66 members, so only 17 countries have come to us asking us to stop our research."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/australia-joins-diplomatic-stand-on-whaling/2006/01/18/1137553651662.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 06:29 am
Anti whaling battle shifts from high seas to supermarket shelves

Sydney Friday, 20 January, 2006 : Greenpeace will leave the Southern Ocean today and will take the battle to stop whaling from the high seas to the supermarket shelves around the world.

As the Arctic Sunrise and the Esperanza prepare to leave the region for Cape Town, Greenpeace is calling on everyone who cares about ending the whale hunts to use their consumer power to send a strong message to the fishing companies that finance the whaling industry. In Australia the campaign will target Sealord, which supplies tinned, frozen and fresh fish products to supermarkets and fast food restaurants.

Greenpeace CEO Steve Shallhorn said, "We're shifting the campaign focus from the high seas to the supermarket shelves. We're asking consumers to be aware of who funds the whale hunters, and to let them know that whaling is bad for business," he said.

Greenpeace encourages people to contact Sealord, a New Zealand-based fishing company that is 50% owned by the Japanese company Nissui, who are directly linked to Japan's commercial whaling. Nissui is a major shareholder of Kyodo Senpaku, the company which owns Japan's whaling fleet. Nissui also market and sell the whale meat throughout Japan.

Mr Shallhorn said, "We'd like people to send a message to Sealord's headquarters in New Zealand, asking them to persuade Nissui to bring the hunting of whales to a permanent end.
... <cont>

http://www.greenpeace.org.au/media/press_details.php?site_id=8&news_id=1905
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 06:38 am
Sea Shepherd/01/19/2006:

17 Nations Denounce Japanese Whaling Activities in the Southern Oceans

Last week, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society challenged New Zealand and Australia to take action against Japan. This week, New Zealand joined an initiative led by Brazil to sign on 16 other countries in an official diplomatic protest against illegal Japanese whaling in the Southern Oceans.

The 17 nations sent representatives on January 16 and 17 to meet with Japan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs to present a demarche or a joint diplomatic presentation to request that Japan cease illegal whaling activities and to recall the whaling fleet.

The delegation referenced the fact that the Japanese whaling vessels operating in the Southern Ocean have been harassed by Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd ships in recent weeks, and there have been aggressive confrontations.

The delegation stated that , "There is no scientific justification to use lethal methods to provide information on whale populations."

The 17 nations supporting the demarches are Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, New Zealand, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.

The issue of so-called "scientific whaling" will be a major item on the agenda at the 2006 annual meeting of the International Whaling Commission scheduled this summer in the Caribbean Islands of St. Kitts and Nevis.

http://www.seashepherd.org/news/media_060119_1.html
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 07:57 am
I'm sure that Mexico will be a big help in enforcing these international laws, seeing as how they are so good at enforcing their own laws as well as emigration. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 04:56 pm
<yawn>

Another insightful & relevant post. But you seem to be getting your threads mixed up, cjhsa. This one is about whales, remember? ..... not about internal Mexican law issues, US border patrol, or guns, either. It'd be a relief if you saved these consuming interests of your for your own threads & could stick with the subject of this one.
.... And, BTW, Mexico has as much right to part of this delegation as any other country. I applaud them for doing it. Same as the other countries which have made a stand on this important issue.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 05:03 pm
Did you see that PETA left a whale carcass on the Japanese embassy steps in Berlin? LOL!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 05:06 pm
i remember that we used ti eat whale-meat ingermany in the late 1930's . from what i remember it was very tasty.
since we lived in the port of hamburg - one of the ports for german whaling ships - my father would often pick up some whale meat when the ships arrived.
these were quite large ships that would travel with as many as ten "hunter" ships. of course, in those days not much thought was given to the srviaval of the whale.
as a matter of interest, the whale was classified as a fish in every-day german language : walfisch . hbg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 05:14 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Did you see that PETA left a whale carcass on the Japanese embassy steps in Berlin? LOL!

No, I didn't know about that, DrewDad! What an exercise in logistics that must have been! Surprised Photographs?
(BTW, nice to talk to you! I see you around on various threads but don't think we've actually met in any particular thread. Anyway, hello & welcome to the "whale place"! Very Happy )
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 05:16 pm
here is a pix of the german whaling ship "jan wellem" - 9,000 tons - quite a sizable ship. on the right you can see the gate through which the whales would be hoisted into the ship.
i still recall when the ship and its hunters would arrive in port - accompanied by a "peculiar" smell. but it wasn't quite as bad as the smell from the ships bringing "guano" from chile - i wonder how the sailors survived the stench during their long voyage around cap horn . hbg

http://www.seefunknetz.de/bilder_5/diae_06.jpg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 05:21 pm
whale carcass being loaded onto lorry for transport to japanese embassy in berlin - what an aroma that must have been ! hbg

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/artikel/485/68417/image_fmabspic_0_0-1137612675.jpg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 05:25 pm
arrival of whale carcass at japanese embassy in berlin. hbg

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,566935,00.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 05:26 pm
Good morning, hamburger. Nice to see you, too!
Very interesting. I heard a man from Western Australia saying similar things on ABC radio the other day, WA used to have whaling ships & whale meat was part of many peoples' diets in the 1950s. Of course, things have changed dramatically there, too, for obvious reasons. Same as in Germany. They were part of the recent delegation to the Japanese to end "scientific" whaling:

Nations Denounce Japanese Whaling Activities in the Southern Oceans:

....The 17 nations supporting the demarches are Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Mexico, New Zealand, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.

http://www.seashepherd.org/news/media_060119_1.html[/quote]
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 05:35 pm
Thank you for those photographs, hamburger. It's interesting to discover what protests are taking place in other countries. There must to so much that we never hear about, in many parts of the world, I'm sure.

Yes, indeed, that must have been a very smelly demonstration! I'm sure that PETA made it's point very clear to the Japanese embassy. A very confronting way to make it. Me, I am more confronted by the terrible way that whales die on the seas. As Peter Singer has constantly said, there is no humane, relatively painless way to do that. It is terribly cruel & shocking to see what actually happens.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 07:49 pm
Japanese Shoppers Buy Whale Meat in Tokyo
JAPAN: December 30, 2005

http://www.planetark.com.au/envpics/sJapNYWhaleMeat4Sale.jpg

Japanese shoppers buy whale meat during a year-end sale in Tokyo December 29, 2005.

People thronged the fish market to take advantage of discounts offered on a variety of items used in traditional dishes that are prepared during the New Year holidays

http://www.planetark.com.au/envpicstory.cfm/newsid/34274
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 07:59 pm
A follow-up article on the Berlin protest photographs from hamburger:

Anti-Whaling Protesters Bring Dead Whale to Berlin
GERMANY: January 20, 2006

BERLIN - Greenpeace activists parked a 20-tonne dead whale outside the Japanese embassy in Berlin to protest against the country's whaling programme on Thursday.

Hundreds of people gathered to catch a glimpse of the 17-metre (56-foot), fin whale, which the environmental group transported to the German capital late on Wednesday on a trailer emblazoned with banners saying "Stop Whaling!"
"This fin whale is one of the most endangered species in the world and Japan still hunts them," said Greenpeace spokeswoman Stefanie Werner. "It must stop."

Greenpeace said it hoped the whale's presence would demonstrate to Japan the futility of its whaling programme, which has caused controversy for nearly 20 years.

A spokesman for the Japanese embassy in Berlin said it regretted Greenpeace's move, adding the country's whaling activities were carried out in accordance with international agreements.

Found stranded on Germany's Baltic coast last week, the whale is due to return there for an autopsy later on Thursday.

"You don't get whales coming to Berlin too often," said Berlin police spokesman Bernhard Schodrowski.

Japan abandoned commercial whaling in 1986, in line with an international moratorium, but began catching whales again the following year for what it calls scientific research. Critics say the whale meat goes to up-market Japanese restaurants.

Greenpeace told Reuters on Thursday that Japanese hunters had killed at least 123 whales in the icy seas off the coast of Antarctica since the start of the whaling season this year, adding that its activists had managed to disrupt several hunts.

Earlier this week, 17 countries, including Australia, Brazil, Britain, France and Germany, jointly called on Japan to put a stop to its Antarctic whaling programme.

REUTERS NEWS SERVICE

http://www.planetark.com.au/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/34578/story.htm
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:32 pm
Tards. PETA is aligned with ELF and ALF, convicted domestic terrorists.

Keep posting PETA crap and lose all your credibility.

Fine by me.
0 Replies