Outrage over Japan's plan to slaughter humpback whales

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 02:20 pm
Don't do it farmerman, you're only undermining your own rights in the future.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 02:22 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I'm quite positive I recall hearing that humpbacks were going to be taked off the list, but apparently I either remembered this incorrectly, or something happened to prevent the occurrence (like international outcry from animal lovers - agh!).

IMO - everyone should spend a year on a fully functional farm, and learn how to properly shoot a weapon and hunt for their sustenance in the wild. I think you'd have a lot more respect and understanding for all things if you did.

My people come from the farm. They own very large parts of Ohio and Iowa.

Anon
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 02:24 pm
Your point is? You didn't learn anything?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 02:26 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Your point is? You didn't learn anything?

I know the difference between animal husbandry and hunting something to extinction! I understand hunting for food and clothing. Some of JayBea's rele's in Wisc. wouldn't have meat without the winter hunt.

Anon
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 02:28 pm
cj
Quote:
IMO - everyone should spend a year on a fully functional farm, and learn how to properly shoot a weapon and hunt for their sustenance in the wild. I think you'd have a lot more respect and understanding for all things if you did.

We dont shoot our livestock, we have it butchered . Sustenance in the wild has nothing to do with a "first world" nation satisfying its craving for a declining resource. Your really not making a good case for your side there cj.
Its like the Iranian poaching for Beluga caviar. The species arealmost gone. For what purpose? Does this better us in any way? are we a species that , by wiping out other species can demonstrate how advanced we are? Quite the opposite.
Ive heard tales of the Carolina parakeet and the passenger pigeon where the "sportsmen" would just blast away at the huge flocks until, by halving their natural numbers, they were no longer able to breed and became extint. There are only a few museums that even have specimens of this bird.
The dodo bird was another , where humans (probably aboriginals) hunted them and killed them in huge numbers and then buried the carcasses.

Sometimes extinction is inevitable, theres no honor in us making it an absolute.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 04:37 pm
Moa's were another bird species hunted to extinction in early NZ by the Maori nations...

and thats what will eventualy happen to our seawater mammals...hunted to near extinction
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 04:42 pm
The world needs more hunters, not fewer. Come to Michigan, check out our deer herd.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 04:45 pm
we have plenty of deer here thanks....disagree that the world needs more hunters...what justifies hunting in excess?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 05:07 pm
cjhsa wrote:
The world needs more hunters, not fewer.

cjhsa

Please do you pro-gun thing on another thread. I'd appreciate that. Thank you.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 05:12 pm
yeh, Moas are a great example. The Victorians used to kill them for "sport" and then theyd show their "taste" by harvesting Moa eggs for chochkies and ladies bags.
cj, I am not against hunting, as you know. However, I dont like hunting species that are dwindling and cannot be guaranteed that a sustainable crop will be available at a given rate of harvest. Deer are a perfect animal to hunt.
1We manage the herd by wildlife biologists

2We only allow a certain number of licenses

3The wildlife biologists study the hell out of the population

Moose are the same, coming back from the edge of extinction in the 1940's we allow a certain harvest rate.
You took my comment about you wanting a bald eagle season as a slight. Why dont you exchange Bald eagle for Humpback Whale

However, having said that, hunting is now slowly becoming an elitist activity where "huntclubs" lease large parcels of land from absentee landlords or the paper comnpanies that own the forests. this allows them to keep out anyone of a "lower" financial status.

Killing whales is nothing even remotely like controlled hunting.
1Not enough is known about the target

2 The quota numbers are established pretty much by "outlaw" countries who just want their whalemeat treats.

3We already know that humpbacks and some other species are threatened and some are endangered.

You are making an issue of US constitutional rights based on a group of International Pirates. In this case its the Japanes and (the other nations that still carry ouit whaling) who are the pirates and outlaws
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 05:24 pm
cjhsa wrote:
The Japanese will eat ANYTHING.

I can't let that pass, either. You're insulting a whole race by that statement. The Japanese are very fussy about what they eat. Unfortunately their preferences include the flesh of endangered species in this partcular instance.

(OK, I'm off to enjoy a beautiful morning now. I didn't intend going online till I read the emale updates for this thread.)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 06:33 pm
No, it's not an insult, it's a fact. They may be fussy, but mostly about preparation.

Ever watch "The Iron Chef"?

Today's secret ingredient: Fish Eyeball!
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 06:38 pm
LOL Laughing Laughing sorry I know this is a serious discussion...but that was funny!!
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 06:56 pm
cjhsa wrote:
No, it's not an insult, it's a fact. They may be fussy, but mostly about preparation.

CJ: That is totally bloody disgusting. There's nothing worse than having the damn thing stare back at you when you're trying to eat it!! YUK!!!

Anon
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:58 pm
cjhsa wrote:

You never know, cjhsa, fish eyeballs might be delicious, nutricious & crunchy! Anyway, I guess if one can eat offal & small goods, then fish eyeballs might not be that much of a challenge.

Yes, I've seen the odd episode of The Iron Chef. Some of the food ideas are interesting but the clumsy dubbing is very off-putting.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 12:32 am
December 28

Something is adrift...
by Lally, onboard the Arctic Sunrise

During the night the storms of the last three days dissipated and I found myself sleeping without automatically bracing myself for a fall, a sure sign that the weather was calming down. This was not the news I was hoping for as improving weather conditions meant hunting would resume.
Then at 02:45 this morning the Nisshin Maru, the whalers 'factory ship' stopped. If the Nisshin Maru stops we stop and as our engines juddered to a halt the sudden sound of silence woke me from my sleep with a feeling that things, besides us, were adrift. .. <cont>

http://weblog.greenpeace.org/oceandefenders/archive/2005/12/something_is_ad.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 12:43 am
No further news from Sea Shepherd. But here's the current "wish list"/the things that are needed. (You never know who might be reading this & might be able to help!) Very Happy :

Sea Shepherd Wish List

We would like to thank those supporters who have generously contributed supplies and equipment to help our cause. Some of the supplies we list below are permanent Wish List items because they are items which either need to be replaced regularly or are items for which there is a need for multiples.

If you have any of these items or are able to purchase any of these items on Sea Shepherd's behalf, your special support will be greatly appreciated. In the United States and the Netherlands all
Gifts-In-Kind are tax-deductible.

For more information about donating supplies, please contact the Sea Shepherd office in Friday Harbor:

Email: [email protected] or call: +1-360-370-5650

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOOD MIXER NEEDED FOR THE SHIP'S GALLEY

Sea Shepherd needs a Hobart brand industrial-sized food mixer for use by our galley crew. This machine is a huge help when feeding a hungry crew! If you have one you can donate, please contact us.

The crew of the Farley Mowat are in need of the following items:

Deck Department
Equipment & Tools:
Compressor: Must be 110 volts
Grease Guns: Especially need grease cartridges
Needle Guns: Air-Powered
Outboard Motors

Heavy-duty Electric Welder
Welding Rods

Scarfing Gun

Power Tools:
Batteries for Dewalt Drill: 18 volts - DW 997, Type 4
Saw blades for jigsaw: Black and Decker jigsaws,
both American and British models -
all sorts of blades
Drills
Cordless drills
Lathe
Shop Vac: Small

Extra Parts:
Belts for Belt Sanders: Black and Decker BR 400,
type 1
Grinding Stone for Bench Grinder:
Dimensions 200mm x 25mm x 5/8" bore -
Kango Wolf Power Tool, type 8356
Saw Blades: Circular 10"
Wire Wheels: 4"-5"

Misc:
Mustang Survival Suits
Immersion Suits

Supplies:
Batteries for Seadoos (GTI model)
Batteries 6-Volt
Batteries AA, AAA
Foam: Expanding
Flashlights: Heavy Duty
Hose Clamps
Misc. Hardware: Stainless Steel, Brass, or Galvanized
-galvanized pipe (3/4", 1", 1-1/4", 1-1/2")
-mild steel pipe (3/4", 1", 1-1/4", 1-1/2" and 2")
-angle iron (various sizes)
-flat bar (various sizes) and 3/8"
or 1/4" mild steel sheets
Epoxy: Underwater epoxy
Eye Hooks, Nuts, Bolts, Rings, etc.
Paint Brushes: For Oil-Based Paints
Paint: Marine paint - black
Paint Rollers
OSPHO Anti-Rust
Silicone: Marine Quality
Tape: Masking, Plumbers, Electrical, Denso, Duct
WD 40 Welding Goggles