0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 06:02 am
Thanks, Stradee.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:24 am
12/27/2005

Captain Paul Watson Responds to the Director-General of the Japanese Institute of Cetacean Research

On December 27th, Hiroshi Hatanaka the Director General of the Institute for Cetacean Research (should be called the "Institute of Commerce") sent an open letter to Greenpeace Japan. In the letter he accused Greenpeace and the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society of piracy and made hysterical accusations of eco-terrorism.

Of course, it is now routine for every ecologically-destructive industry in the world to label their critics as eco-terrorists so that comment is easily dismissed. Sea Shepherd Conservation Society has never been convicted of any felony crime, and from what I understand eco-terrorism is a felony. Hatanaka may have his opinions but his opinions have no basis in fact.

If I am an eco-terrorist then why was I not arrested for such in New Zealand, Australia, the United States, or Canada? Why is my ship flying the flag of Canada? Why am I traveling freely on my Canadian passport as a resident of the United States?

Mr. Hatanaka should investigate the facts before he makes accusations that he cannot substantiate.

Hatanaka threatens us with piracy charges yet there has been no attempt to board and loot any Japanese whaling vessel that I am aware of.

The true meaning of "eco-terrorism" is terrorism against the environment. This is exactly what Japan is doing. The Japanese whale extermination plan labeled JARPA II will slaughter 17,000 piked whales, 800 fin whales, and 800 humpback whales over the next few years. This is eco-terrorism. .. <cont>

http://www.seashepherd.org/news/media_051227_1.html
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:43 am
Absolute crap-spin Msolga. The "eco terrorists" are pretty obvious in this case and it isn't the whalers.

These people have a screw loose somewhere. A couple aces short of a full deck. A gun with one in the chamber and an empty clip.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:49 am
I suggested it earlier and there was not much interest, but now ....

Can I PLEASE start a collection to buy an old Russian submarine so we can sail out and put these f@*kers on the bottom of the ocean...

purely for scientific research on how long they can tread water.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:10 am
cjhsa wrote:
Absolute crap-spin Msolga. The "eco terrorists" are pretty obvious in this case and it isn't the whalers.

These people have a screw loose somewhere. A couple aces short of a full deck. A gun with one in the chamber and an empty clip.

Honest question, truly!

Is there anything sacred to you?

Anon
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 11:39 am
I'm not sure I understand your question. I'm defending a people's sacred right to hunt and fish, and you're taking the position that it is OK to attack their ships.

Is nothing sacred to YOU? I would say the only people that could claim a whale as a sacred animal would be those who hunted it and used it for sustenance.

You're a frog supporter right? France's last great military "triumph" was to almost sink the Rainbow Warrior. The fact the U.S. could have accomplished the same with a Cub Scout troop and some snap & pops is beside the point.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:11 pm
Anybody remember Humphrey? Here was a whale who had a problem. A terrible sense of direction, perhaps a brain disorder, who knows? The idjit animal rights types spent millions trying to herd this wayward whale out of San Francisco Bay. Here was a perfect cull opportunity, to rid the pod of weakness and perhaps disease, but no, they just had to rescue him instead of harvest.

Humphrey returned a year later and did the same thing again. Wink
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:37 pm
Quote:
"You're a frog supporter..."

What kind of frog??

Question:

Do we have the right to hunt something to extinction??

Anon
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:39 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Anybody remember Humphrey? Here was a whale who had a problem. A terrible sense of direction, perhaps a brain disorder, who knows? The idjit animal rights types spent millions trying to herd this wayward whale out of San Francisco Bay. Here was a perfect cull opportunity, to rid the pod of weakness and perhaps disease, but no, they just had to rescue him instead of harvest.

Humphrey returned a year later and did the same thing again. Wink

He was fine, he is fine, he continues to be fine.

Anon
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:55 pm
whales demonstrate intelligence, and as Humprey sailed up the Sacto River, he was studied and evaluated . Since then hes been tagged by Satellite and as of 2004 he was travelling along with a pod.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:58 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:

Question:

Do we have the right to hunt something to extinction??

Anon

My support for sustainable harvest has never been in doubt. The kind of irresponsible hunting you bring up is not something I condone.

At the same time, if I were stuck on an island, and there was only one dumb, flightless bird left, I'd probably eat it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 02:01 pm
CJ cant wait tille theres a Bald Eagle season.
The Jarpa dudes are going to hunt some species next year that are on the ragged edge of extinction, for what? sushi?.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 02:04 pm
Famerman, you're smarter than that (eagle season). Comon.

I don't support hunting of endangered species, unless one of the critters has become a danger to man.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 02:06 pm
Then you can't support the hunting of the Humpbacks!

Anon
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 02:10 pm
CJ,

By the way, as an aside. There was a post earlier about how the Japanese intend to put whalemeat on the school lunch menu. The larger fish such as Tuna, Swordfish, two I can't remember, and whalemeat contain astronomical amounts of mercury. Only the larger fish have the deadly concentrations because of the time it takes to accumulate. If I were a Japanese parent, I would have second thoughts about mercury poisoning my child. Have you studied the effects of mercury poisoning in children??

Anon
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 02:14 pm
The Japanese will eat ANYTHING.

I'm quite certain poisoning their children isn't what they intended.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 02:15 pm
Sea Shepherds are also against the killing of harp seals. The argument has been made that harp seal populations havent been hurt by killing pups. However Environmneta Canada has found that harp seals have kept predation of cod fry by eating the predators.
An eacological balance cannot be posited by an opinion on a bulletin board CJ. The killing of minkes and finbacks will have an effect on a natural balance that we probably are not yet aware. But the killing of Hump)backs is an inexcusible move. The humpback is threatened almost all over. It and the "right" are at a point where their genetic makeup is being compromised by too few individuals(The genetic diversity is shrinking and mating is less frequent)
The japanese started on minkes because theres a buzillion of them, then they went for a modification to "increase" their research take. Then theyve planned to go for finbacks and then Humpbacks).

Im glad to see Greenpeace getting its backbone back. Maybe Ill send them a couple bucks too( like Sea Shepherds
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 02:18 pm
I'm quite positive I recall hearing that humpbacks were going to be taked off the list, but apparently I either remembered this incorrectly, or something happened to prevent the occurrence (like international outcry from animal lovers - agh!).

IMO - everyone should spend a year on a fully functional farm, and learn how to properly shoot a weapon and hunt for their sustenance in the wild. I think you'd have a lot more respect and understanding for all things if you did.
0 Replies