Overheard in the A2K Bathroom...

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:35 am
Tryagain wrote:
I hope this sets the record straight, and note the Loonie's are north of the border. Laughing

I was in the duty free at the border crossing from Queenstown to Lewiston once, and there was a soft drink dispenser there which took loonies and toonies. A pack of Americans of about retirement age were milling about, wondering aloud how they would be able to use the machine. Rather than do the obvious and tell them they could get change at one of the cash registers inside, i simply remarked that i had a pocketfull of loonies and toonies. They purchased them from me at par.

There are loonies, indeed, on both sides of the border.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 02:39 pm
"They purchased them from me at par."

Would that make it, a town par excellence? Razz

Set, descending the mountain bearing a strange device, "There are loonies, indeed, on both sides of the border."

I'm not sure what to make of this. I think that probably the most common nickname for the US dollar is "buck," or "one." (As in "I can't give you five bucks in quarters - I've only got ones.") A buck could symbolize virility or an untamed wild streak. "One..." well, that just displays a lack of imagination. Is it better to think of currency as something comic? Does a name like "loonie" help Canadians to keep the value of money in perspective? Is paying for everything in "loonies" a bit like being in PJ's all day? If so, I am for it. Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 03:53 pm
Whereas the Canajuns do have a wicked sense of humor, there are aspects of their lives which they take in earnest which just crack me up . . .

For god's sake, i'm glad i opened that window . . . whew . . .
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 04:02 pm
So you were able to feast upon the naiveties of the elderly. Good show! So, now have you given up taking candy from babies? Trading nickels for dimes with five year olds (See? My coin is larger,but you can have it.)

Excuse me..... excuse me,,,,, madam.... please do not shave your legs and leave the sink looking like that.

Thank you.

Joe (the nerve)Nation
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 04:53 pm
Out of the way!
Out of the way!

The loos at the beach aren't open yet!

OUT OF THE WAY!!!!!!!
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 08:18 pm
<Tosses quarter in Beth's direction and scrambles out of the way>
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 08:27 pm
Oh, it takes a quarter to open it. Never seen one of those. So, I guess I'm the only one that's been crawling under?

(Sorry bout the sink, Joe. It's been months and I figured this was as good a time as any to get it done.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:51 pm
It looked like it should be open

http://img194.echo.cx/img194/240/beachbathroom051505itshouldabe.jpg

The dogs are so good about waiting outside

http://img66.echo.cx/img66/6775/baileyandcleoconsidertheiropti.jpg

Of course they can just use the shrubs

http://img198.echo.cx/img198/2126/cleoandbaileypokingaround05150.jpg

Squinney - those little machines. On the wall.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:07 pm
That park would be a damned fine place for a lake . . . why don't you suggest that to city government?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 11:05 pm
Why is a quarter known as two bits? I know the answer. Well I mean, it's an interesting fact.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 11:07 pm
I already know way more about the history of the mirror ball than I should, and I haven't even started the phase of intense research.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 12:54 am
The Spanish "dollar" (from thaler, don't let's get started on Charles V) was made into change by halving it, halving the halves, and then halving the quarters. Each of the eight pieces of change produced in that manner was called a "bit."

Common "cheer" at sporting events when i was a lad: "Two bit, four bits, six bits, a dollar, all for _______, stand up and holler ! ! !" (insert name of appropriate small town yearning for athletic glory in the blank). These days, i rather suspect young people don't know what the expression two bits means.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 12:57 am
That's because they dont wander about at home in the middle of the night, Set. :wink:
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 01:07 am
Is that abt as big as its get ??? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 02:37 am
Can't sleep, mon vieux, too much on my mind . . .
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 02:58 am
Something worrying you, doggy person?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 04:39 am
Some slings and arrows of a fortune which is, sadly, to ordinary to be outrageous . . .
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 04:42 am
Life's a bugger sometimes, isn't it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 04:44 am
Yes, and then, things go badly . . .
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 04:46 am
Laughing

It's late. You should be getting your beauty sleep.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 04:28:47