Are you a Normalphobic?

Reply Sun 12 May, 2019 12:38 am
Normalphobia is on the rise among Progressives.

Normal people have been the target of Progressives and their normalphobia ever since Trump saved America by winning the 2016 election.

solipsister

Reply Sun 12 May, 2019 02:22 am
@MyParentsAreProud,
Quote:
Are you a Normalphobic?

Quote:
ever since Trump saved America by winning the 2016 election

I enjoy reading what right wing red neck republicans of below average up to and including average intelligence have to say about aspirational normality, although to save America would presumably require more than being elected to the office of POTUS, perhaps you could regale us with policy decisions evidencing what he has done to deserve your thoughtful and eloquently framed accolade?
Below viewing threshold (view)
maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 May, 2019 07:49 am
@MyParentsAreProud,
Normal people

How do you define "normal"? If you can define what a normal person is, I can tell you if I have a phobia toward them.

- Is it normal to be White? Middle-Eastern? Latina? African American?
- Is it normal to be homosexual, bisexual, straight?
- Is it normal to be Jewish?

I admit to having a phobia of White Supremacists. I don't know if that is normal.

MyParentsAreProud

Reply Sun 12 May, 2019 01:55 pm
@solipsister,
I've never known a Republican to be a red neck of below average up to and including average intelligence.
vikorr

Reply Sun 12 May, 2019 03:22 pm
@MyParentsAreProud,
Are there no redneck republicans?

Because there are certainly Republican supporters of below average intelligence up to and including average intelligence - just as there are every political supporters group.

But Sols insults aside, his question was relevant.

Max's question was very appropriate too. What is normal?
0 Replies

FreedomEyeLove

Reply Sun 12 May, 2019 05:42 pm
@MyParentsAreProud,
Unless you are a trans-racial, gender queer, disabled, pan sexual, she-male of color, who breast feeds your 14 year old son in public, then you are a white supremacist Nazi.

I think the left wingers are being very reasonable about this.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 12 May, 2019 06:13 pm
@FreedomEyeLove,
I am a White Straight heterosexual cis able bodied male. I am not a White Supremacists Nazi.

You don't have to be a White Supremacist just because you are White. All it takes is not being a bigoted asshole.
FreedomEyeLove

Reply Sun 12 May, 2019 06:33 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I am a White Straight heterosexual cis able bodied male.

That group is the great Satan. You are part of that group therefore you have white, male, cis, and able bodied privilege and you are oppressing me.

I demand reparations. I am being completely reasonable. Pay up. If you don't pay up, that confirms that you are a bigot.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 18 May, 2019 06:36 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
...I admit to having a phobia of White Supremacists. I don't know if that is normal.

An excellent position if you reserve it for the tiny population of actual white supremacists. Much less excellent if you use the term on people who are in no way white supremacists, just because they disagree with you. Just for the record, a white supremacist is someone who advocates the supremacy of the white race.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 18 May, 2019 06:45 pm
@Brandon9000,
Guilty as charged Brandon. I would object to the term "in no way White Supremacists". I think there is a spectrum; from people who suspect minorities and assume White people are smart without expressing a racial hatred, to people who march down the street chanting "Jews will not replace us".

I do tend to use the term "White Supremacist" a little loosely.

My daughter is Latina and is bilingual (she is fluent in both English and Spanish). She has more than once had people confront her for speaking Spanish in public ("this is America Speak English). She asked me if she could swear at people who tell her to speak English. I told her in this case she could ... if she says "F*** off you racist asshole" she is speaking English just as they they asked. She is now waiting expectantly for this to happen again since she has my permission to swear in public.

My sons are browned skinned. Both of them have faced racism from White people who assume they are up to no good.

This is not strictly speaking White Supremacy, but when it happens to your kids it is pretty upsetting.
vikorr

Reply Sat 18 May, 2019 07:38 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
She is now waiting expectantly for this to happen again since she has my permission to swear in public.
I cracked up read this. You should mention to her 'make sure you have a sympathetic audience'.

Prudence is still a virtue Smile
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 18 May, 2019 09:35 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
...This is not strictly speaking White Supremacy, but when it happens to your kids it is pretty upsetting.

I'm sure it must be very upsetting, but I think that some people use the term to get people they disagree with to shut up while they change things.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 18 May, 2019 11:49 pm
@Brandon9000,
It is part of my right to free speech if I say that someone is spouting "White Supremacist" views. I will use this term if I feel that someone is defaming a group of people based on their religion or ethnicity.

I often defend people with unpopular points of view, and sometimes I feel that both sides of an issue are throwing around insults that are counter-factual.

There is a line; when an argument is hateful and counter-factual I will say so. I use the term "White Supremacy" as a shortcut... but I don't feel it is so far from accurate. There is more White Supremacy than many people admit; meaning many people support positions that say White people and culture are more important and trustworthy then Hispanic people, or African-Americans, or Muslims.

If you march down the street saying "Jews will not betray us", or say that Muslims are supposed to be terrorists, or claim there is a conspiracy of Latinos to take over the US... I don't think "White Supremacist" is that far off.
BillRM

Reply Sun 19 May, 2019 04:32 pm
@maxdancona,
Hell given that Spanish like the other major world languages including English is not tied to any one race or culture at all closely some one that object to a language being spoken is likely an asshole but not a racist, in my opinion.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 19 May, 2019 04:57 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
...There is a line; when an argument is hateful and counter-factual I will say so. I use the term "White Supremacy" as a shortcut... but I don't feel it is so far from accurate....

If you want to call people White Supremacists who are not, I guess that's your decision.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 19 May, 2019 05:03 pm
@BillRM,
We agree that they are assholes.

This is a special kind of asshole, that does far more damage the normal asshole (i.e. the people who speed past people waiting for an exit from the highway and then cut in last minute in front of people who have all been waiting),

There is an type of asshole who has a narrow view of how Americans should look, act, and behave. And, they act out against any American who doesn't fit their images. They are against people who speak Spanish. They are against Muslims. They march down the street chanting "Jews will not replace us".

Calling them an "asshole" doesn't do them justice. They are trying to divide people; pitting people they accept as Americans against people who they don't think belong here.

Is there a better term for these assholes that pit Americans against Americans... that distinguishes them from the every day assholes? I actually think "White Supremacist" comes pretty close.

Suggest another term?

0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 19 May, 2019 08:18 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
All it takes is not being a bigoted asshole.

Practice what you preach.
0 Replies

FreedomEyeLove

Reply Mon 27 May, 2019 02:25 am
This is one of the best topics I've read on this site.
0 Replies