1
   

Trump's tariffs is a jobs killer

 
 
Reply Fri 10 May, 2019 02:06 pm
https://www.fastcompany.com/90180122/the-u-s-job-losses-from-trumps-tariffs-are-starting-to-pile-up
Quote:
A study by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce says “recent and proposed” trade actions by the Trump administration threaten as many as 2.6 million American jobs and will “stymie our economic resurgence.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 321 • Replies: 9
No top replies

 
oralloy
 
  -3  
Reply Sat 11 May, 2019 04:09 am
Actually a 25% tariff on autos made outside North America and on auto parts made outside North America will increase jobs inside North America.
maxdancona
 
  1  
Reply Sat 11 May, 2019 06:40 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Actually a 25% tariff on autos made outside North America and on auto parts made outside North America will increase jobs inside North America.


This argument has no bearing on reality. There is no 25% tariff on autos made outside North America. That's a fantasy The tariffs are against China (can you name a Chinese brand of automobile?).

American car companies are the paying the tariffs when they buy steel, or car parts. This means that American cars are more expensive. Japanese and European cars are less expensive. And American automobile jobs will be lost.

maxdancona
 
  1  
Reply Sat 11 May, 2019 06:44 am
@cicerone imposter,
I think there is a chance that Trump might win this one. If by playing tough he ends up getting concessions from China, these tariffs will be well worth the effort.

This is one of those times where I am not sure that Trump's strategy is wrong.
0 Replies
 
oralloy
 
  -2  
Reply Sat 11 May, 2019 07:36 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
This argument has no bearing on reality.

That is incorrect. The tariffs that I described would have the effects that I described.


maxdancona wrote:
There is no 25% tariff on autos made outside North America. That's a fantasy

Where's your reading comprehension this morning? I never said there are such tariffs. I said merely said what the effects would be if we did have such tariffs.

And actually you are wrong. We have had a 25% tariff on light trucks made outside the US for many years.


maxdancona wrote:
The tariffs are against China

That depends on which tariffs you are talking about. The 25% tariffs on steel and 10% tariffs on aluminum are against most of the world.


maxdancona wrote:
American car companies are the paying the tariffs when they buy steel, or car parts.

Not if they buy American steel and aluminum, and car parts made from American steel and aluminum.


maxdancona wrote:
This means that American cars are more expensive. Japanese and European cars are less expensive.

Thus the need for a 25% tariff on all cars and car parts made outside North America.


maxdancona wrote:
And American automobile jobs will be lost.

Not if we have a 25% tariff on all cars and car parts made outside North America.
maxdancona
 
  1  
Reply Sat 11 May, 2019 07:52 am
@oralloy,
You are being silly. This is a thread about "Trump's tariffs". You are responding with a tariff instituted by Lyndon B Johnson. We could start another thread about the Johnson tariffs.
oralloy
 
  -2  
Reply Sat 11 May, 2019 08:05 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
You are being silly.

Not really.


maxdancona wrote:
This is a thread about "Trump's tariffs".

Trump has proposed a 25% tariff on autos and auto parts.

Trump has already imposed a 25% tariff on steel and 10% tariff on aluminum.


maxdancona wrote:
You are responding with a tariff instituted by Lyndon B Johnson.

Only to correct your untrue statement about the lack of such tariffs.


maxdancona wrote:
We could start another thread about the Johnson tariffs.

I'd rather talk about Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminum, and proposed tariffs on autos and auto parts.
maxdancona
 
  1  
Reply Sat 11 May, 2019 08:08 am
@oralloy,
I see both sides of this.

1) It is pretty clear that Trump's tariffs will cost jobs. It is silly to even argue about this. It is the analysis of most economists on both sides of the political spectrum. And, you can look at the specific facts on the ground.... by counting the actual jobs lost so far. You are denying facts for the sake of political talking points (although you always insist that your political talking points are facts).

2) The purpose of the specific tariffs raised this week is to have a trade war with China in response to their unfair trade practices.

There is a reasonable argument that the loss of jobs from this trade war is worth it because it will lead to a future where China doesn't cheat in the future.
oralloy
 
  -2  
Reply Sat 11 May, 2019 08:21 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
1) It is pretty clear that Trump's tariffs will cost jobs.

How would 25% tariffs on autos and auto parts cost jobs?


maxdancona wrote:
It is silly to even argue about this.

You have no idea how many times I've heard those words.

And.... when facts are checked, I turn out to be right 99% of the time and the people who say I was being silly turn out to be completely wrong.


maxdancona wrote:
It is the analysis of most economists on both sides of the political spectrum.

It isn't my analysis.


maxdancona wrote:
And, you can look at the specific facts on the ground.... by counting the actual jobs lost so far.

If we were to have 25% tariffs on autos and auto parts, I say we would count an increase in jobs.


maxdancona wrote:
You are denying facts for the sake of political talking points (although you always insist that your political talking points are facts).

I'm right. They're wrong.


maxdancona wrote:
2) The purpose of the specific tariffs raised this week is to have a trade war with China in response to their unfair trade practices.
There is a reasonable argument that the loss of jobs from this trade war is worth it because it will lead to a future where China doesn't cheat in the future.

Meh. I'm not much interested in the trade war with China. I suppose you're right about the need to prevent them from cheating. But I'm not really following the issue.
0 Replies
 
oralloy
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 15 May, 2019 08:54 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
And, you can look at the specific facts on the ground.... by counting the actual jobs lost so far.

"Supporters of Trump’s tariffs, such as the Alliance for American Manufacturing, counter that more than 12,700 well-paying jobs have been created or saved at steel and aluminum factories since the president put this policy in place in March of 2018. They also point to substantial amounts of investment in U.S. metal mills that should benefit the nation for years to come, including $1 billion that was just announced at a U.S. Steel plant outside Pittsburgh."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/05/07/trumps-steel-tariffs-cost-us-consumers-every-job-created-experts-say
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » Trump's tariffs is a jobs killer
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/19/2019 at 04:32:11