What's the one religious book you feel everyone should read?

SN95

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 09:59 pm
I am relatively knew to A2K but I can see that their are many well versed and educated posters here. In my continual search for knowledge on the subject of religion I have this question for everyone. If you had to choose one book to recommend to someone, what book would that be?

For the sake of avoiding redundancy I ask that the religious scriptures (the bible, koran, pentateuch, torah, etc.) be excluded. You can list a book that reinforce the scripture/religion you believe in but I ask that you pick something other than what most people have already read or are familiar with.

I'll go first. My selection is The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "original Jesus" a pagan god? by Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy. An interesting read and definitely some powerful arguments are brought up in this text that I believe all Christians should at least consider.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,741 • Replies: 29
No top replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:28 pm
"The Power of Myth" by Joseph Campbell. It's an edited transcript of the dialogue between Campbell and Bill Moyers produced by PBS. The complete video is also available.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:35 pm
Jonathan Livingston Seagull - Richard Bach

If I can get all girly about being a scavenging bird, what chance does any other pubescent have against the indoctrination systems of the various religious organisations?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 10:11 pm
The Blind Watchmaker - Richard Dawkins
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 11:30 pm
Re: What's the one religious book you feel everyone should r
SN95 wrote:
If you had to choose one book to recommend to someone, what book would that be?

The sacred and profane: the nature of religion.
By Mircea Eliade.

(A sociological text about religion in general and what forms are likely to occur and why.)
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 11:34 pm
Bookmark.

Thanks wg - coming from you it's a "must read" Smile
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:45 am
Eorl wrote:
Thanks wg - coming from you it's a "must read" Smile

Shocked Embarrassed Very Happy

Wow, thanks.

I'd also like to add another one, this is an online document called "the mythopoet's manual", for writers all about creating realistic religions for fantasy settings.

http://www.rpgmud.com/WorldBuilding/Mythopoets/tmm.html
0 Replies

MiTHoS

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:35 am
SN95 wrote:
For the sake of avoiding redundancy I ask that the religious scriptures (the bible, koran, pentateuch, torah, etc.) be excluded. You can list a book that reinforce the scripture/religion you believe in but I ask that you pick something other than what most people have already read or are familiar with.

Are you saying that you'd rather listen to the word of men rather than the words from God, or did I take that wrong. Why do you need confirmation from another person when you can get it from God?
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 10:56 am
M!THº§ wrote:
SN95 wrote:

Are you saying that you'd rather listen to the word of men rather than the words from God, or did I take that wrong. Why do you need confirmation from another person when you can get it from God?

It's not about confirmation. It's about expanding your knowledge and keeping an open mind to everything.
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 03:14 pm
Brothers Karamazov - Dostoevsky
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 03:42 pm
M!THº§ wrote:

Why do you need confirmation from another person when you can get it from God?

You can get me confirmation from God? Cool! Are you the messiah? I've got a few questions....

Put your analyst on danger money baby.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 03:44 pm
Joseph Campbell has already been cited, but I would recommend "The Hero With a Thousand Faces". His seminal work, IMHO--and highly readable!
0 Replies

MiTHoS

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:38 am
hingehead wrote:
You can get me confirmation from God? Cool! Are you the messiah? I've got a few questions....

No, I'm not the Messiah, but I can get you confirmation....... the bible itself! It confirms itself without any contradictions (contrary to some peoples' beliefs).
0 Replies

NewSoul

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 02:35 pm
Read the Quran. The Bible was so confusing for me and never answered my questions. I was laughing at preachers when I go to Church and was almost Atheist until I read the Quran .

Be curious and read it. I do not ask people to believe me because I am nobody but I am asking you to read it and see with your own eyes what it is saying and how beautiful, elequant and heavy with knowledge it is.
0 Replies

NewSoul

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 02:35 pm
Read the Quran. The Bible was so confusing for me and never answered my questions. I was laughing at preachers when I go to Church and was almost Atheist until I read the Quran .

Be curious and read it. I do not ask people to believe me because I am nobody but I am asking you to read it and see with your own eyes what it is saying and how beautiful, elequant and heavy with knowledge it is.

Michael
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:11 pm
M!THº§ wrote:
hingehead wrote:

No, I'm not the Messiah, but I can get you confirmation....... the bible itself! It confirms itself without any contradictions (contrary to some peoples' beliefs).

Thou shalt not kill

(unless of course the person you kill breaks a rule in Leviticus, or she lives in Sodom or Gomorrah, or he isn't part of Noah's family)

I hate to say it mith, but you need to do a little study of how the bible was written. You are perfectly entitled to your beliefs but if you want to demonstrate their validity to others, quoting the bible as literally god's word is not gonna win you many arguments.

Cheers.

(edited for an Eats, Roots, and Leaves comma problem.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:14 pm
Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060652926/002-6986067-5967232?v=glance
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:09 pm
Mith and newsoul,

I clearly stated in my opening post that the scriptures not be included. Mith if you want me to debate you on the contradictions in the bible I'd be happy to do so, start another thread. Newsoul if you want people to read the quran, start a new thread.

Either post a book or stop trying to derail my thread.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:40 pm
A God Within by René Dubos (also available in p-back)
0 Replies

NewSoul

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:40 pm
Read the Bible & the Koran.
0 Replies