One Box, two hard drives, two different O/S's

sumac

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 01:28 pm
Any problems with that?

To be specific, just found out that my scanner and its software weren't working properly because the software people didn't want to go to the trouble of rewriting anything to make it compatible with Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Professional. The hardware manufacturer, Visioneer, has put that particular model out of production anyway so they could care less.

I have yet to locate any freeware or shareware scanner image management software on download.com.

Short of paying through the nose for new software, which may or may not work on that hardware model anyway, my only other solution is to run a second hard drive as slave with Windows 98 on it. The software for the scanner was designed for that Windows version.

Any pitfalls, problems, possible points of conflict or corruption to this idea?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 792 • Replies: 10
No top replies

sumac

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 01:58 pm
Hmmm....no response. Wonder what that might mean....
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 03:25 pm
It means that I had to get back on my Mac Thread and search for the below link that jp once sent me when I problems with my Canon-printer.

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/index.php3 try them!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 03:34 pm
Thanks, bigdice. WIll check it out.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 04:55 pm
Hmmm, just checked it myself, and it's just about printers... I thought they did scanners as well, bummer. Sorry.. :-( You tried to google scanners name & number and driver yet, perhaps even put in service pack 2 there?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 06:20 pm
Uh, no, I hadn't. After talking with both Visioneer and Scansoft, or trying to, searching download.com, I kind of gave up. But will google the issue and see what comes up.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 06:42 pm
Sumac - what is the exact model of your scanner? If you had 2 harddrive you have to set it up for dual boot - with linux\windows it's not so hard I never tried it with 2 windows - I'll do so some checking around.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 06:46 pm
here's something to read up on
http://www.bootstrike.com/WinXP/dualboot.html

http://forums.wugnet.com/Setup-Dual-Boot-Windows-Windows-XP-ftopict238589.html
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 06:53 pm
Basic rule of dual-booting installation is that you install older Windows first, then the newer Windows will detect the older and set the configurations for dual-booting.

Partition the HD into 2 partitions, as you did. Format the first partition to FAT32. Leave the 2 partition as is, do not format it.
Install 98SE to FAT32 partition, Boot-up with XP CD and start setup. Then select the unformated partition from list, format it to NTFS and install XP to it.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 07:16 pm
Will check your links, Husker. My "old" system did have two hard drives on it, and was set up by an IT person from Europe with a small drive with 98 on it, and the main drive had XP SP 1 (at that time) on it.

So I am assuming that she set it up with a dual boot system or something that worked because the system as a whole worked OK. Two years later, the original main drive went bad and was replaced, but the small HD with 98 on it is OK. Then the processor went and I got the new box.

The 98 was not SE, but first with disc and upgraded as far as I could take it and kept current.

The scanner and driver (and I don't know anything about the driver - it just says XP on the site when I redownloaded it), are: Visioneer One Touch 8920 USB Scanner & Transparency Adapter for Windows. The software, unless I can work around it, or without it, came bundled with the machine and is from ScanSoft: PaperPort Deluxe Version 7. something or other. One of the important reasons I got the machine, other than the price, was that it also sends to printer, emails, faxes, sends to image management aps, etc., etc. That is very nice functionality. I have no alternative copier, fax machine, etc.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 07:19 pm
While I could not get the scanner to function properly last year after SP2 was installed, the system as a whole was developing its other problems and I didn't even think of the scanner in connection with SP2.

It only really came to me when I got the new CPU and tried to reinstall the software from the original disc, and my system balked at installing it. The disc autoran and got as far as the install command, but when I click on it, nothing happens.
0 Replies