"Reverse Racism"..?

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:10 pm
msolga wrote:
I've taught in quite a few schools with largish Muslim student populations. At first it used to bother me when a student (usually a naughty boy caught in the act of doing something he shouldn't have been doing. Laughing ) would say something like: "You're picking on mr because I'm a Muslim." Being what I believed to be a squeaky clean "small l" liberal I felt quite confused, offended even, by such remarks. Or I was at first. After a while it became clear that this sort of comment was just a standard power play tactic with a number of the students. They knew out vulnerable spots & targeted them very well! Very Happy

Aw, gee, msOlga, that kind of playing of the race card is so old it's laughable to me. As a teacher, I get this from time to time and it does no more than amuse me. A kid'll say, "Are you picking on me 'cause I'm black?" I'll answer: "No, it's because you're ugly. Can't stand ugly people." Usually, it sinks in quickly that I'm not serious and am saying something absurd because his own statement was so absurd. Most kids catch on to sarcasm quickly. Or, you can say, "Oh, yes, I'm a racist," because they know full well that you would never admit it if, in fact, you were racist. Quick and immediate confrontation is the key.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:16 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:33 pm
this muslim kid keeps repeating "IM not black im not white im just right"

Can i beat him up cause its getting annoying or will it be considered a hate crime
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:35 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
... A kid'll say, "Are you picking on me 'cause I'm black?" I'll answer: "No, it's because you're ugly. Can't stand ugly people." Usually, it sinks in quickly that I'm not serious and am saying something absurd because his own statement was so absurd. Most kids catch on to sarcasm quickly. Or, you can say, "Oh, yes, I'm a racist," because they know full well that you would never admit it if, in fact, you were racist. Quick and immediate confrontation is the key.

Yes, indeed, Andrew. Funny, though, this sort of thing was never problem till I started teaching in the schools with high Muslim populations, not too long ago. Now THEY know how to act as a group! A posse, almost! Laughing
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

You can beat up anyone you like, Disc. All crimes are "hate" crimes. Never knew of a crime based on "love."
0 Replies

booman2

It virtually impossible for me to see a person as ugly, but what would you say to a homely kid. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:37 pm
booman2 wrote:
It virtually impossible for me to see a person as ugly, but what would you say to a homely kid. Twisted Evil

Yeh, that's a problem. Fortunately, most children are not homely. They're cute and they know it.
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:39 pm
Yeah but if i went on a killing spree and just so happened to have killed a black man its manslaughter as well as a hate crime. Not the blatant fact that something is wrong in my head
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:40 pm
You move like a verbal Ali, MA Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:51 pm
booman2 wrote:
You move like a verbal Ali, MA Very Happy

Gotta, brother Booman, gotta. Always half a step ahead of the kids.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 02:20 pm
i stopped by to check out the remaining conversation....carry on...
0 Replies