My Prolouge "Gifts of Lethal Exchange" Tell me what you thin

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 03:28 pm
This is my first attempt at a mystery novel. I was inspired by the fact that there are groups of people out there that actually want to contract HIV. My story is a little diffrent but involves murders due to a ring of sexual deviants breaking the rings rules and giving the unwilling the dreadful disease. This is the Proulouge tell me what you think. Thanks in advance.
GIFTS OF LETHAL EXCHANGE

PROLOUGE

The television flickered on and off from across the room. While it flickered on, it provided subtle light through the darkness. The small room and its tepid, humid temperature made it difficult to breath. When the soft light of the old black and white set bounced around over the four walls, all that could be seen were trophies and sports memorabilia.
The weather man's report blinked on and off the screen of the television announcing impending severe thunder storms with flash flooding. The wind outside of the room wrapped around and whistled with a dreadful howl. The old wooden house on the corner of Norward and Sue Street shook with the vibrations of the thunder. The house was lit up only for a few brief seconds as bloodcurdling lightning bolts shot down.
Brandon Conner peeled himself off of his full sized bed against the wall. Small beads of sweat lined the top of his forehead. When he finally pushed himself up onto his feet, he could feel his head spinning. He anxiously made his way through the dark room trying to catch his breath when he found the door knob. After opening the door that lead to the hallway he was approached with even more darkness.
"Hello, anyone here?" He called out into the emptiness of the house.
He didn't receive an answer. What's going on he thought? He made his way stumbling over to the double light switch in the living area and tried to turn it to the up position. No light. No sound. He peered out of the window and was surprised to see blackness at four in the afternoon. The large oaks swayed fiercely dropping acorns from their branches. The tapping of the falling fruit of the oaks resembled the sound of hail.
The back door swung open as Peggy Conner tried desperately to come inside and close the door behind her. The wind was to strong. He helped her inside and after a short struggle with the wind managed to shut the door. She walked over to the table in the small kitchen and placed a candle in the holder. Her eyes gestured for Brandon to light the wick.
Suddenly the kitchen was lit up by the dim light of the small candle. Peggy's hair was standing straight up on her head as a result from the fierce wind outside.
"God I hope my customer makes it home okay. I couldn't finish her hair after the electricity went out." Peggy remarked with a sense of compassion in her voice.
"Mom, I thought you hated that lady?"
"Well I don't like having to do her hair. She's very picky, but I don't want anyone to get hurt just because I don't particularly like to do their hair."
"Do you have any other candles? I need to find something in my room."
"No I don't, but I do remember a flash light in the bathroom. I'm not sure if it works though."
"Well let me borrow this candle for a minute so I can find out."
Brandon found the flash light. After several shakes the light came on. He returned to the kitchen and placed the candle back on the table for Peggy. Before his mother could speak again to question him, he already had begun his walk to his room down the hall.
Brandon fretfully searched his unkempt room to find the envelope. Under a pile of dirty laundry he found it. He made his way back to his bed and sat down. The only writing on the envelope said "Please deliver to 112 South Union Street in Opelousas" in messy cursive handwriting. On top of the brown envelope he noticed the yellow post it note that read, "Please deliver no later than March 1st 2005." He shined the flash light across the room to view the date on the calendar. March 1st 2005. "Oh my God, I have to deliver this today" he mentioned out loud.
"Deliver what?" Peggy asked as she peered through his room door with the candle in her hand.
"I had a deadline for my World History class. Today is the cut-off date. I have to go to the library in Opelousas."
"Right now? The weather is too bad."
"Mom, I'm twenty years old, its time you let me think for myself."
"I know honey, but you know I worry about my children."
"Well mom you don't have to worry about me. You taught me well. I can drive under any circumstance."
"Okay" She whispered as her voice trailed off down the hallway.
He pulled a dingy shirt over his bare chest from the pile of dirty laundry. He slipped on his favorite pair of faded Levis and grabbed the envelope. Before he walked out of his room, he managed to kiss the picture of his soon to be fiancé, which was pinned to the cork board on the wall. As he rapidly made his way out of the house, Peggy yelled out "Be Careful".
The rain drops bit by bit made their way down from the black clouds that blocked the sunlight. Brandon hopped into his green Isuzu and pulled close the door despite the powerful force of the wind. Once inside, he felt the gurgling of his stomach. The same familiar gurgle of nervousness he experienced before a test, when he finally popped the question to Candice, or before the big important football game.
He pulled on his seat belt and took a deep breath hoping that would calm him. He adjusted his rearview mirror, and used his hands attempting the fix the pile of thick brunette mess that sat on top of his head. His green eyes were somewhat blood shot and puffy. God I look horrible he thought. He took off down the broken road that desperately needed fixing.
As he made his way down the now desolate highway south to Opelousas, he turned up the radio, hoping that it would provide a distraction to his troubled racing thoughts. The rain was now pouring down in thick white sheets across his wind shield. His wipers were hardly able to keep up.
Blinding light from the vehicle behind caused him to turn the rear view mirror up. Who could be out in this weather? If I didn't have to meet this deadline I would still be at home where it's safe. He thought to himself, as the vehicle moved closer. The fast pace of the car left him with a feeling of uneasiness. He could finally see the emblem of the Honda Accord that was now bumper to bumper with his Isuzu.
He noticed the yellow flashes of light from the Accord behind signaling to pass him up. When the driver bumped the horn and waved, Brandon's eyes were filled with terror at the sight of the familiar face on the side of him. He looked forward as to ignore the driver that remained even with his truck. He gradually reached down for his cell phone and dialed Eric Doucet's number. After only the first the ring the call dropped and the face of the phone flashed "Signal Faded". Just then the Accord side swiped his truck.
His head spun out of control when he let go of the wheel. The loud screech of the tires slowly came to an abrupt halt. The air bag deployed, and his vision was filled with darkness. He was able to tell that he was alive only by the warm rust tasting liquid that dripped from the top of his head into his mouth.
The door opened allowing rain to pour in washing the dark red blood that clouded his view. Chills ran up his spine when he felt the face of the man next to him move closer to his cheek.
"I don't want to have to do this, but it's to protect those who will be harmed by what you are about to do." The deep sinister voice mumbled.
Before he could move it was over. The tire wrench slammed into his head forcefully.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 539 • Replies: 2
No top replies

neologist

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 11:06 am
You've gave enough info on Brandon to make me think of him as the protagonist. Does he have HIV? Have you now killed him?
You have also created many images reminding us of the 'dark and stormy night'. My suggestion is to prune.

Here is the way I might have written the first few lines:
The television cast flickering shadows of sports trophies on the wall. "Severe storms. . . " says the weatherman. "Right, tell me something I don't know," muttered Brandon Conner as he peeled himself from bed. Lightning brightened the room, followed by bloodcurdling thunder. The wind wrapped the home in a crushing embrace.

Brandon's head was spinning. He touched his forehead: sweat. Breathlessly, he made his way to the door and an even greater darkness.

Disclaimer: I've never been published, and I was born in New Jersey. So I don't know a whole lot.
0 Replies

laboi 22

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 12:04 pm
I rewrote it/someone tell me what you think
It was bizarrely dark for four in the afternoon. Brandon Conner gradually made his way down the deserted double lane highway. Destination, the envelope on the passenger's seat read, 112 South Union Street, Opelousas, Louisiana.
The rain now pounding down across his windshield made it hard to see, his wipers hardly able to keep up. I've got to make it on time he thought, as he shifted the gears of his green Isuzu in a nervous rush. His right arm trembled a bit while he shifted. Stop it Brandon, you've done this before. It's not the first time.
From behind he noticed a speeding car. The yellow signal light flashed, while the car passed him up. I need to be going that fast, but the weather is too bad, he said to himself, while he shifted the gears up again.
He reached over in effort to tune the radio to his favorite station, hoping it would provide some solace to his troubled racing thoughts. He fumbled with the tune select button for the next couple of minutes. When he looked up, he swiftly depressed his brakes, in order to stop before he clipped the side of the car that just passed him up. His tires skid and spun out of control. The rain that accumulated on the highway made for an impossible abrupt stop.
Finally, after a few spins, Brandon's truck made its way to a complete halt in the ditch on the side of the highway. Who would park their car in the middle of the road like that? He must have wanted an accident today, his thoughts racing now. The warm, rust tasting liquid fell into his mouth from the top of his forehead. He struggled for a moment until he found his cellular. He managed to place one call to Eric Doucet. After only the first ring, the call dropped, and the face of the phone flashed the message "signal faded."
The pain of his headache became overwhelming. He pulled the picture that was taped onto his visor, of his soon to be fiancé, and held it tightly against his chest. He slipped out of consciousness for a moment, and was awakened by the noisy creaking of his door. Terror filled his eyes at the sight of the familiar face before him. The man opened his mouth to speak in his deep sinister voice.
"I'm doing this to protect those you're about to hurt."
Brandon turned just in time to see the tire iron as it crashed into his head.
0 Replies