work and live there. Will my future Japanese Master
Degree be valid in the United States?
(according to your opinion!)
2- In your opinion, where do you think I should study:
in Japan or in Carnegie Mellon?

Other things for you to know are:
* I am an international student, therefore I cannot
apply or a loan, yet, but my fiancée is a US citizen
and we are planning to get married next month.
* My major field of study is Information Technology.

3- Would I get my papers in one year (because I
postpone my admission entrance into Carnegie Mellon
University) so that I can apply to scholarships and
loans?

Waiting for your comments,
Best,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 983 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 12:45 pm
What is your field of study?
0 Replies

Green Eyes

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 03:02 pm
hey
Would your fiance be going with you? How important is getting a really great job to you? because even if it's hard for a while NAU will probably send you off with better job opportunities which means a bigger salary and then 40,000 dollars won't be quite as ominous! I say NAU is your best bet. Exclamation Very Happy Exclamation
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 10:57 pm
Holy Smokes! Did you say Information Technology at Carnegie Mellon University!?
In Silicon Valley, Carnegie Mellon is considerd one of the top three computer engineering schools in the world!

A degree from there could easily translate to an extra $10-20K per year ... if you play it right ... by getting a few jobs offers competing against each other. To take full advantage of what CMU is worth, start active job-hunting a full year before graduation, to create the business connections that you need. That's a powerful diploma!

Secondly, the fact that the degree is computer-related (rather than Biology or English or History) is another plus. Most people in the computer industry DON'T have computer degrees, so this locks in your ability to negotiate from a position of strength and confidence.

If you are very excited and in-love with the idea of living in Japan, then certainly follow what you love. But a computer-related degree doesn't get any better than one from Carnegie Mellon. That's a golden goose you can use for decades.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:14 pm
CodeBorg wrote:
Holy Smokes! Did you say Information Technology at Carnegie Mellon University!?
In Silicon Valley, Carnegie Mellon is considerd one of the top three computer engineering schools in the world!

A degree from there could easily translate to an extra $10-20K per year ... if you play it right ... by getting a few jobs offers competing against each other. To take full advantage of what CMU is worth, start active job-hunting a full year before graduation, to create the business connections that you need. That's a powerful diploma!

Secondly, the fact that the degree is computer-related (rather than Biology or English or History) is another plus. Most people in the computer industry DON'T have computer degrees, so this locks in your ability to negotiate from a position of strength and confidence.

If you are very excited and in-love with the idea of living in Japan, then certainly follow what you love. But a computer-related degree doesn't get any better than one from Carnegie Mellon. That's a golden goose you can use for decades.

Aren't you a realistic person - what you said expresses my opinion exactly. I myself want to go to one of the top unis in the UK - Cambridge is my first option, but I dont' have the money. Any Masters or PhD I do will have to be in Australia, probably the ANU, which would be so much cheaper, since I am a citizen. But, lets be realistic - coming out with a degree from a top uni gets you job offers so much more easier, not to mention the fame you get. Its expensive, but its worth it.

Take Carnegie Mellon. I know even if I have to STARVE, I would rather go to Cambridge than the ANU.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 06:21 pm
Have you researched what funding options will be available to you once you have married your fiancee? It seems like that would open some things up to you at Carnegie Mellon.
0 Replies