Help with Excell

lmcvey

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 02:38 pm
I am new to Excel and had a project dropped in my lap. I have a current worksheet with Inventory and orders info in it. I need to import new data each week and the source has different labels than starting worksheet.

item Shipped Orders Total Current Month Prio-Year

When importing it needs to be able to insert new lines for products picked up since last order.

Like adding item 10017 and not erase numbers when it would inset to

Could Someone please help me? I have been trying to figure it out reading Excel 97 step by step but can not find answer.
[email protected]

Thanks Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,908 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 03:04 pm
Can't you insert a new row without erasing data?

I am fairly new to Excel as well, and also track inventory.

I just click on the left column and insert a new row and then input my data.
0 Replies

lmcvey

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 03:14 pm
Help with Excel
I need it to do it automatic when it imports the data. The idea is to be able to import new data weekly and not have to retype it into excell. The file is coming out of S.A.P. a business software and imported into excel. The weekly data keeps changing so you need it to insert all new data with old.

Thanks for the reply tho..
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 03:25 pm
Aha, despite my efforts it is indeed over my head.

But there are a few people out here who know Excel pretty well and have helped me in the past. I hope one of them shows up.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 03:56 pm
Not me, Craven. All I can think of is to import the data to a new spreadsheet (to avoid writing over the old), copy the stuff to the bottom of the list and then do a data sort.

Sounds tedious, but I'm inclined to think this is beyond the potential of the program - certainly beyond mine.
0 Replies

lmcvey

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 04:08 pm
Help with Excel
Well I know there is a way, I know a guy that is account for the state of Iowa he is very advanced in Excel but is out of contact for a while and I need to get this working as soon as possible. I found this site today by searching google.com and thought I could get help faster than waiting on him? Thanks for the idea tho. IF all else fails I might have to go that route.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:56 pm
One idea I have is to create a spreadsheet with all of the possible item numbers in it and save it as a template. I'm trying to understand the import methodology being used here and that's as far as I get.

I've imported data into Excel from both Access and Brio and inevitably there is an overwrite, so you just import to a new sheet.

Another idea is to use two spreadsheets. One is as I mentioned above, it has all possible item numbers in it. The other is the source material for the first. You can have the import go to the second spreadsheet and use simple formulae with the first spread to copy data from the second. E. g. a formula something like

=Sheet16!B14 <-- that formula copies whatever is on sheet #16 in the B14 cel.

For any item number where there were no orders, have the formula (this is probably going to have to be a nested formula) generate a zero or a null or whatever you want to designate that there were no orders for a particular item number that month. E. g.

=IF(B1>0,B1,0) <-- this formula generates whatever is in the B1 cel if that value is greater than zero. If it isn't greater than zero (and you can't have negative orders, can you?), then a zero is returned.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

lmcvey

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 08:45 am
Help on Excell
Thank for the suggestions The source file has a discription of the item attached to Item number. Boss just wants the item number only. So was trying to merge in data except discription. He also don't what to see the items that had no sales. kind of picky if you ask me? Some reports have all the files and others reports don't have all the items. His thinking is he don't want to see the 0's on the report!

Thanks for the idea!
0 Replies

Cajun

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:17 pm
I need help to calculate compand interest in Excell. I sell Health insurance that has a special feature of Return of premium. What I want to show a prospect, is what the estimated ROP will be at age 65, after identify their present age. I need to calculate in the number an assumed premium increase of 8% per year, which is where the compond comes into.

I have limited Excell knowledge (grew up with Lotus 123). So please be simple.

Thank You,

Cajun
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:25 pm
Create an Access database and insert data to the worksheet via an interactive query; or, better yet, create an interactive Access report from the database.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:45 pm
Cajun, set up one column with the Year, the next starting Principle, next column has Interest (8%) and in the Compounded insert the formula =Sum(B2*1.08).

The Principle, put =D2 as the formula on the next line. Highlight the lat three columns and drag the x that appears when you arrow is on the bottom right corner down as far as you need to.

Yr Prin Int Comp
1 $100.00 8% $108.00
2 $108.00 8% $116.64
3 $116.64 8% $125.97
4 $125.97 8% $136.05
5 $136.05 8% $146.93
6 $146.93 8% $158.69
7 $158.69 8% $171.38
8 $171.38 8% $185.09
9 $185.09 8% $199.90
10 $199.90 8% $215.89
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 04:08 pm
Ya just saved me a mouse click, BillW. I've been using the copy command all these years, and just using that technique for number or date series.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:41 pm
Every little thing roger - you are welcome. BTW, you can also make the series iterate or copy or do other neat things - do a right click on the highlighted area first before the drag to select defaulted actions.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:46 pm
Little things make a big difference, alright. I was delighted to learn that the tap key would move the highlight move one cell to the right. The return key then moves it one row down and back to the left. You cannot imagine how many hours this has saved over the years.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 07:45 pm
I love Excel.... I use it for everything!

Hi Cajun.... welcome to A2K!!.... how's your spreadsheet?? Do you have any other questions??

I'd like to learn Access. I have a very specific need. I'm manually keeping a subsidiary ledger, in a three-ring binder, for tracking our sub-consultants. (We're an architectural services company.) I tried to create the ledger in Excel, but it was really cumbersome. I've got about 200 pages, and was trying to link them all to one recap page. I add and delete lots of pages each month. I think Access would be better suited for this, maybe....

Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 07:56 pm
PAL,

I'm making the move from Excel to Access as well. I knew nothing about Excel on Jan 15 (hadn't ever used it) and now I know nothing about Access. I'm worse off!
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 08:32 pm
Hi Craven.... love your avatar!!!

I was involved, as a volunteer, in an annual auction, and one of our members wrote an Access program to track the Bidders and Sellers, track the final sales, create receipts/invoices, etc. I was really impressed with the program, especially the reports that were created after the auction was over.

Of course, when someone else was writing the program, it looked really easy!!

I'm looking forward to playing with the software!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 08:37 pm
I'm not looking forward to my task. :-( Lots and lots of work!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 08:12 am
Ah, Access. 'Twas a pain to initially learn and I already had database experience.

But it will come in handy.

PAL, yep, I think what you're doing would probably be better served by Access. You would create a table for each consultant (you can just import them into Access from Excel; nothing has to be retyped) and then run a query linking all of the tables by a key field (date? invoice number? ledger number? it kind of depends on your needs). The results will show up in Alpha order or date order, whatever you like. You can add, multiply, etc. to get it to do what you like.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 08:45 am
Access is great you guys!! Jespah I started with dbaseIII and IV, I used to take a telex(dbIII) and convert it to an ascii file\ import and massage to a reporting package, moving to access was like going to heaven. Now I make an ODBC link and suck info out of the general ledger to display and updated in access dbs.
0 Replies