american life-just like the movies?

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 03:52 pm
i live in england and i know little about real life in america apart from what is seen of films and suchlike. is it really like that?

are the high schools divided up into groups like we see on mean girls and clueless or is it all pretty much equal? also does everyone who doesnt live in the city have a white picket fence?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,939 • Replies: 42
No top replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 03:56 pm
Thats why we go see movies, just to look and try to understand ourselves.
0 Replies

angelina papina

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 03:58 pm
seriously?
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 04:08 pm
Yeap people like themselves.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 04:31 pm
In their dreams.

That's why people pretend to have white picket fences.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 09:49 pm
THATS INTERESTING CODE...BORG!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 10:07 pm
Do bovine angels dream of whitewashed fences,

or of the green grass that they found

on The Other Side?

------
The social life in America is like anywhere else. Random
bits of fear, compassion, mean-ness, conniving, and subtle love.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:16 am
When my stepson's mother-in-law visited the States she confessed that she expected everyone would drive as the characters in Dukes of Hazzard did.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:27 am
Well, do TV shows and movies made in England offer a true reflection of normal life in your country?

Are stores in England like they are portrayed in "Are you being Served?" (a show I happen to enjoy).

And (I am showing my age here) is there really a ministry of silly walks? (I sure hope so).
0 Replies

angelina papina

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 02:11 pm
a ministry of silly walks? i've never heard of that i must say, but its sounds good so lets hope it does exist somewhere.

I've never seen are you being served either so i couldnt tell you if its like that.

im just trying to think of some english movies or tv shows you might have seen, really theyre very difficult to think of. if you can think of any good ones let me know and ill tell you whether they offer a true reflection of english life.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 02:28 pm
Actually, we are all richer and much more beautiful and interesting than we are portrayed as being in the motion pictures. That's why we are so eager to curb immigration.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 03:25 pm
angelina_papina wrote:
a ministry of silly walks? i've never heard of that i must say, but its sounds good so lets hope it does exist somewhere.

I've never seen are you being served either so i couldnt tell you if its like that.

im just trying to think of some english movies or tv shows you might have seen, really theyre very difficult to think of. if you can think of any good ones let me know and ill tell you whether they offer a true reflection of english life.

Never heard of the Ministry of Silly Walks??? Unbelievable! "The Ministry of Silly Walks" is from Monty Python, which happens to be the best thing to come from England since the Mayflower (except maybe the Beatles).

I am a bit surprised that you haven't seen the stuff the BBC sends to us as "British television". Some of us find it quite entertaining.

But my point is, television isn't a real picture of anything, except our collective fantasies of how life should be with a faint nod to current trends. Neither my life, nor the life of my teenaged son, nor the lives of anyone I know, more than faintly resembles anything you see on television.

If I had to pick which show is the closest to real life in the US, I would say "The Simpsons", but even that isn't too close.

Compare your life to what you see on English produced television and you will understand.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 03:33 pm
When I first arrived in America I was a nanny and lived with a wealthy family in upstate New York. They had a huge beautiful house on a hill with land all around. The mother was a high-level executive with a large company. The father was a hunter/hawker who spent his time outdoors with his dogs. The kids were beautiful and intelligent. Their friends were wealthy or famous (I met some of the Kennedys, Baldwins, and others). I was awestruck. It was like I was on another planet.

Then I came down to earth. They **** and vomit like the rest of us. I knew the rose-colored glasses had fallen from my eyes when Bobby Kennedy poked his head in the fridge and I told him to get the hell out, I was washing the floor!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 03:40 pm
Watch old Gunsmoke episodes. It's kinda like that. Laughing
0 Replies

angelina papina

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 12:49 pm
bear in mind im not old enough to have seen the so called 'classic comedy' that u get sent in the usa. i wonder, have they taken the tv show little britain across yet?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 12:53 pm
They recently did an american version of "The Office", but I haven't watched it.
0 Replies

angelina papina

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 01:00 pm
they said the office wasnt popular over your side of the pond because people didnt 'get' the humour.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 01:04 pm
Even classics like Python and Benny Hill had a fairly limited audience on this side of the pond. Just the way it is.

Brits probably wouldn't find "Blue Collar TV" funny either, but it's a big hit here.

http://www.thewb.com/Shows/Special/0,11116,171990%7C%7C,00.html
0 Replies

angelina papina

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 01:09 pm
quote from the website, "... whilst poking fun at all things Middle America holds dear". i don't know, sounds like british comedy to me!
0 Replies

smog

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 01:13 pm
The American version "The Office" is hilarious. I'm upset that NBC took "Committed" off the air, but at least they replaced with another good show.

"Are You Being Served?" has to be on of the best shows ever, but I can't imagine it's anything like a real store, anywhere.

And, while I know many people might disagree with this, I actually think that "Roseanne" was probably the best representation of true American life to be done for TV. It was pretty "real" when you think about it (except for the last season, but I have no clue where the idea for that came from).

I also think that "Cheers" was a decent depiction of real life, minus some obviously silly moments.
0 Replies