Frege's Other Thinking Beings Part Two in the "What if..."

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 11:14 am
Here is the second installment of this book I got "What if..."

"What if beings were... found whose laws of thought flatly contradicted ours and therefore frequently led to contradictory results even in practice? ... Who is right? Whose laws of taking-to-be-true are in accord with the laws of truth?"

I have thought about this a lot. I thought that if Logic was Logic God's logic (if there is one) would need to be the same. Our logic might not be as all encompasing as God's but it would need to be the same - I don't know what it would mean for a logic to be different.

This I think is Frege's thoughts as well - but I am all about you guys and gals picking it apart.

GO! Wink

TTF
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 744 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Terry

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 12:00 pm
We have beings like that right now. They are called "religious fundamentalists." They have a tendency to torture and kill heretics, infidels, and anyone else who does not buy into their own peculiar brand of "logic."
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 12:01 pm
From what i understand from your question(its was phrased kinda weird and i think there were some mispellings) But i have asked this question earlier or a similar one. That which societies opinion is right and how do you know you are truly right.

Well i think the answer is simple whoever the stronger majority race is would be right. For example during the cold war if you lived in america in a capitalist society you are raised to believe commies are evil and commies are raised to believe capitalists are evil. You cannot know the truth unless you are not from this earth. Because no matter how hard you try you are biased and what may be "true" may totally contradict your beliefs so you will not accept the truth.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 02:28 pm
Discreet:

I have fixed my typo's. Sorry I should have checked.

However,

Are you saying that both:

1) Truth is relative - period.
2) Might makes right.

???

Or do you just mean this for ethical beliefs - does this hold for contradictions like 'Square Circles' and things like that?

I don't follow you.

TTF
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 03:40 pm
Yeah truth is relative based on social views. In iraq killing dozens of innocent lives makes you right in the eyes of allah, whereas here you would be punished for these beliefs. What is right or wrong just depends on where you live and waht time period you live in.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 09:02 pm
We are discussin logic here. Is 2+2=4 Relative?

TTF
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 09:08 pm
thethinkfactory wrote:
We are discussin logic here. Is 2+2=4 Relative?

TTF

Yes, because it could be in a base three number system where there is not 3, just 10. In base three, 2+2=11.
0 Replies

val

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 01:20 am
Re: Frege's Other Thinking Beings Part Two in the "What
thethinkfactory

Quote:

"What if beings were... found whose laws of thought flatly contradicted ours and therefore frequently led to contradictory results even in practice? ... Who is right? Whose laws of taking-to-be-true are in accord with the laws of truth?"

The laws of truth are our laws of truth. According to what we are. If we accept that our reason is nothing but an evolutionary tool, our truth is not the truth of a snail or a bat. Different kind of inteligence would lead to different conceptions of a different world.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:00 am
So - Square circles are possible upon a different thinking process - and these are as valid as any other thought.

The fact that I am thinking being obvious to the attentive mind is actually not - because on a different type of rationale I could not be - but be thinking that I am.

Val - I don't understand this type of relativism. It self referentially incoherent. If you are saying that all laws of truth are relative to the being - you are stating a universal - which is impossible upon your own position.

Now, if you are saying that we see the world (for instance) as revolving around us - that is a tendancy of our race - not a universal truth.

Piffka - You can use any example you want of an a priori truth. 'All mother have children.' for instance or 'All triangles have three sides.' Doesn't these concepts have to be a priori true - even if triangles and mothers don't exist in reality.

It seems that you are all arguing some form of strong relativism in response to Frege's quote - I am not arguing for Frege - I just don't understand your replies as having any coherence.

TTF
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:17 am
TTF, this reminds me of Godel's theorem, but we're talking about 2 formal systems, where A is true in one and false in the other. A Godelian answer would be that 'truth' in this case is undecidable, because the systems are mutually inconsistent. (for anyone not familiar with Godel, it more-or-less says that any system complex enough to include all of arithmetic contains propositions that say, "i'm not a theorem." so if it's true, then it's not a theorem, but if it's false, then it is a theorem. but that's just a layman's understanding based on reading Godel, Escher, Bach by Hofstadter a long time ago.)
0 Replies

val

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 03:45 am
thethinkfactory

Quote:
Val - I don't understand this type of relativism. It self referentially incoherent. If you are saying that all laws of truth are relative to the being - you are stating a universal - which is impossible upon your own position.

You are right. My statement was incoherent.
In order to prevent that, I would say that truth is a concept, created by our specific mind, and defined by our specific mind. That is not an universal, because I stay within the limits of my experience.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 06:20 am
Val - Thanks for the clarification.

However, does your clarification actually mean anything worth listening too. Meaning, your statement that all of us can only stay within our limits of experience must too be filtered, by the listener, as being one that is stated by you and has been filtered through your experiences.

Thus, if you are trying to make a universal statement, about all minds, you seem to be the only one that wants to violate your own rule.

What I am trying to say (poorly, I might add) is that if you statement is right, then we can't really take it as bearing any truth - because that is just what you think as filtered through your experiences.

If we put you around other, more objective people, you might make another statement.

Does what I said make any sense?

If so, is that right? I am forming this as I type and would love to hear you feedback or any other persons. I think I am on the right track - but maybe not. Wink

TTF
0 Replies

val

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 01:06 am
thethinkfactory

When I talk about experience, it is not my personal and subjective experience. It is my experience as human being.
All concepts are human constructs, within an human language.
So, truth is an human concept.

I would define truth as the adequacy between a statement and experience. I say "it is raining" and that, as I think you agree, it's an human statement. I go outside and see the rain, feel it on my skin. That is an human experience, since my eyes are human, my skin is human, my nervous system is the nervous system of a human being.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 06:38 am
Val,

Does it follow that, then, truth is different for humans then, say, dogs or space aliens?

Meaning, if the corresponsence theory is true, humans do feel rain on thier skin, but there is a reality out there, a truth, to be beheld. Humans simply access it through thier senses.

Are you stating that we, as humans, frame that truth differently, than say aliens, so - although we bias the truth as humans there is a truth out there to bias (subjective truth)?

Or are you saying that because we, as humans, have our own way of gathering truth and, ultimatley, that truth is relative to us (relative truth)?

I am fairly sure you are saying the former but I am not totally sure and am asking for clarification.

TTF

p.s. I admit that I am completely biases when concerning matters of relativism. I simply can't see it's validity and need to be elightened in order to.

(Usually when I feel this way I have missed something - so that is why I ask as many questions as I do. Wink )
0 Replies