a forty-four word poem

agrote

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 09:34 am
This poem is actually exactly the same as my one word poem (in another thread), except that 43 other words now precede the one word that was there before. This time I am actually making an honest attempt to write a half-decent poem, so please shower me with criticism...

I have become lethargic.
I clothe myself in slime and slide
Slowly towards a pit of beer until the birds begin to sing,
And then I drown - later to find myself in paradise,
Where the slime is greener but the beer tastes like piss.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 981 • Replies: 9
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 10:07 am
I really like it!

Last line: There are more words in this poem than calories in Miller lite

Heh, just a joke because of the title..
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 10:12 am
stuh505 wrote:
I like it Smile

Ooh good! Very Happy
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 11:53 am
I tend to put "poems i consider good" in two categories:
ones that i wish i had written: either because they're that good or because they sound like my head voices
and
ones that illicit a quasi-physical reaction... shiver, shudder, grimace, giggle: depending on the subject matter:

That made me grimace and shudder a little.... i wouldn't say i like it: it made me cringe... but... aaargh!! can't express myself!! I like IT i just don't like READING it!!
0 Replies

99white99

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 12:26 pm
It isn't bad, but the words slime and piss are not commonly used in poetry. "Prettier" words or euphemized "ugly" words are used and when something more blunt is seen it just never seems to match.

btw, does this poem have any relevent meaning? If so, could you please explain for us?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 02:28 pm
Quote:
It isn't bad, but the words slime and piss are not commonly used in poetry. "Prettier" words or euphemized "ugly" words are used and when something more blunt is seen it just never seems to match.

What's your point? You seem to be complimenting him with a tone of disapproval. That he is using words like piss and slime in a poetic way is a very good thing, exactly for the reason you said, that it is not commonly done, and it works very well in this poem!

Quote:
btw, does this poem have any relevent meaning? If so, could you please explain for us?

Is it not obviously a poem about drinking ones problems away, and how gross that can make one feel?
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 03:17 pm
Quote:
Is it not obviously a poem about drinking ones problems away, and how gross that can make one feel?

Not until you realise
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 05:03 pm
When I and my buddies would sit in the drive in movies drinking beer, we often relieved ourselves in the empties. If you got drunk enough to not realize the beer bottle was warm, you could possibly learn the taste of recycled hops. I wouldn't consider that paradise, however.http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/drunk.gif
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 09:53 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Quote:

What's your point? You seem to be complimenting him with a tone of disapproval. That he is using words like piss and slime in a poetic way is a very good thing, exactly for the reason you said, that it is not commonly done, and it works very well in this poem!

Quote:

Well put. Very insightful.

The poem compares my life at the moment to that of a slug. Have you ever tried that gardener's trick where you dig a little hole and fill it with beer? All the slugs in the garden slither towards the beer, and drown in it - it's one way of getting rid of them. So at the moment, most days I feel like a slug, spending a hell of a long time doing nothing but slithering towards a pit of beer.

I insist on using the word 'piss' in all of my poems from now on - it seems to offend people, and I like that.
0 Replies

99white99

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 10:19 pm
Ahhh I see, that makes the poem make much more sense.
0 Replies