Study Finds Decline in Global Press Freedom

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:53 am
STUDY FINDS DECLINE IN GLOBAL PRESS FREEDOM

Despite Some Gains, Setbacks in a Number of Key Countries, Including the United States

"The study, "Freedom of the Press 2005: A Global Survey of Media Independence," revealed that gains outnumbered setbacks, as measured by shifts among the survey's three main categories: Free, Partly Free and Not Free. Improvements took place in countries where new democratic openings have been achieved or are burgeoning, such as in Ukraine and Lebanon. Several countries in the Middle East showed positive trends.
However, the overall level of press freedom worldwide -- as measured by global average score -- worsened, continuing a three-year downward trend according to the survey.

Full press release

Freedom of the Press 2005: Country Draft Reports (PDF)

Charts and other data from report
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 423 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Sanctuary

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 08:14 am
I find this truly interesting... My goal in life is to become an opinionated journalist, and I find it educational to keep educated on journalism both here in the U.S. and internationally. This is the first study I've seen like this - thanks!
0 Replies