Government plays favorites with a charity

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2019 09:31 pm
Hi!

Is it legal for a local Government to send its employees for week(s) to do volunteer work for a particular charity? The employees get paid by the gov as usual, but instead of reporting to work at their gov job location, they go to the charity's place, where they do speeches, fundraising, etc

IMHO gov shouldn't be playing favorites with organizations nor people at all. So, a big-shot at that local gov selects a charity of his liking to send taxpayer-paid resources to? Maybe someone's getting a kickback? Maybe this charity under the hood funnels money to a certain political party? Every way I look at it, this practice opens the door to all kind of issues which constitutional government is intended to prevent...

Would you please share some light on this? Isn't this unconstitutional?

Thank you,

Rick
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,820 • Replies: 5
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2019 01:20 pm
It’s not unusual for companies or governments to ask employee to do “community service” at sometime. I’ve seen groups do work for food banks, Habitat for Humanity, homeless shelters, etc.

Now, if you are talking about working for political candidates or being forced to contribute for some cause ( like United Way) I share your objection.

Can you be more specific about your concern?
Linkat

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2019 03:18 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

It’s not unusual for companies or governments to ask employee to do “community service” at sometime. I’ve seen groups do work for food banks, Habitat for Humanity, homeless shelters, etc.

Now, if you are talking about working for political candidates or being forced to contribute for some cause ( like United Way) I share your objection.

Can you be more specific about your concern?

Yes my company provides us 2 community service days a year. We can use for whatever non-profit we want (of course prior approval to have that day away from work is dependent on business needs as well). Often times groups will have an opportunity to do a volunteer project together - I have never heard of it being mandatory though.

I wouldn't have an issue with it as long as it is optional. You can either go volunteer with your group for the day or go in the office and work for example. That way if you personally were not in support of a particular charity then you are not obligated to help out there.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2019 03:21 pm
@RickGrant,
RickGrant wrote:

Hi!

Is it legal for a local Government to send its employees for week(s) to do volunteer work for a particular charity? The employees get paid by the gov as usual, but instead of reporting to work at their gov job location, they go to the charity's place, where they do speeches, fundraising, etc

IMHO gov shouldn't be playing favorites with organizations nor people at all. So, a big-shot at that local gov selects a charity of his liking to send taxpayer-paid resources to? Maybe someone's getting a kickback? Maybe this charity under the hood funnels money to a certain political party? Every way I look at it, this practice opens the door to all kind of issues which constitutional government is intended to prevent...

Would you please share some light on this? Isn't this unconstitutional?

Thank you,

Rick

I could also see this more so in a government position. Say for instance you are a state government employee and the state government pays and supports say low income housing or say an assisted living residence. It almost makes sense since the state is supporting these endeavors that being an employee you volunteer there. (it isn't really volunteering though seeing you are getting paid. I would think it would almost be part of your job then.

I agree you need to be more specific.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 08:05 am
@RickGrant,
RickGrant wrote:

Isn't this unconstitutional?

Show me the direct or indirect clause in the constitution that would apply to this situation, let alone to a local government? Government and politicians have always moves lockstep; hand-in-hand; insert your favorite cynical and noncynical metaphors to the relationship between charity and government.

It's been going on ... to well centuries before the 13 colonies were a wetdream in the adventurous and entrepreneurial spirits of 14th century Europeans and beyond.

Quote:
Maybe someone's getting a kickback?

Yes. That could be the case ... in some cases. And that would be a crime of corrupt government. And sometimes, people have altruistic motives (including politicians and gov. workers).

Also... in the grand scheme of things? Big-shot and local government? That's a pretty sadsack oxymoron. You're not really a big-shot if you work in a county or town administration.

Quote:
this practice opens the door to all kind of issues which constitutional government is intended to prevent...

You have a very very limited understanding of constitutional governments, let alone the US Constitution (unless you are referring to another country's constitution and they do exist... but you're extra lazy for not providing any NECESSARY context to your thread as this is a global forum covering Canada, the UK, the USA, Australia, and many English speaking countries between).

State and federal governments award contracts to profit corporations all the time. The same is true with nonprofit organizations.
0 Replies

sherifsaadlaw

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 12:31 am
@RickGrant,
This is a legal attempt to send your employees to do some charity work and even there is no harm doing this.
0 Replies