EIDETIC IMAGERY

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 07:25 pm
Hey recently i was out shopping with my gf for a prom dress...hold the laughter and we went in this spanish dress store in georgetown. As my gf tried on dresses i eased drop on this spanish family that had a young daughter. The daughter seemed like she was in the stage where here steps could be numbered, she was an infant. But she was captivated by her own reflection in the store mirror though. I just thought of it as being cute infant play. The mother asked one of her friends, how to babies grasp the concept of a mirror without being explained as to the concept of one. I thought it was a good question and wanted to see what you guys think. Any psychology majors in here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 601 • Replies: 9
No top replies

twyvel

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 08:01 pm
InterestingÂ….

The thing about a mirror is that when you look into one it doesn't reflect that which is looking. A young baby might recognize that, which is, I think, something most adults have learned to overlook.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 03:00 am
Wikipedia.org wrote:

Children before the age of three generally do not recognize their own mirror image as being that of themselves. Thus, Lacan theorized, seeing one's "self" in a mirror is a critical point of development in constructing one's own self image. It is in this moment that it becomes possible for the child to have ego-development. Note, though, that in contrast to humanistic or ego-centered psychology, Lacanian theory declares that it is in the moment of the formation of the "ego" that our pathological fates are sealed. It is the reflexive ability that is garnered by a child's identification of itself with the gestalt of its mirror image which allows it to self-evaluate and self-interpret that is the underlying condition for the possibility of all of the transitivity and aggressivity that characterizes human life. (ref: Mirror Stage)

Related...
I have heard of mirror tests on great apes which attempt to determine whether or not they realize the concept of self. When the ape sees paint on the forehead of the reflection, if he puts his finger to his own head, then it means that he understands that the reflection is of himself.

Don't quote me on this...
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 04:56 am
My mirror broke. Ego gone. Sorry.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 07:26 am
Chimps can recognize their image in a mirror. Children can too. Not everything has to be learned.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 03:05 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Chimps can recognize their image in a mirror. Children can too. Not everything has to be learned.

In this case it is learned. Recognizing oneself in the mirror seems to be a developmental thing, in other words at one point you can't, and at the next point you can. I agree though that it isn't taught. Small detail, just thought I'd say my bit. Cool
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 03:33 am
Maybe it is about developing the facilities to recognize a reflection. A small child is not entirely evolved, and all it's mental capacities are not fully operational until it is six years old approx.
0 Replies

benjamino

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 04:07 am
i was watching a programme on this a few days ago, a guy working with primates and mirrors, who used the paint test fredjones mentioned and also he would hide food out of the apes line of sight but where it could be seen with a mirror and the apes developed the ability to recognise the reflection for what it was. although while they could recognise the reflection of the food, most of them still didnt register the other ape as themselves. then he strated working with toddlers using the paint test, it was really interesting watching the idea of self develop. when they were really young they just saw another baby and tried to interect with it and crawl into the mirror, then there was a stage where they didn't like the mirror because they couldn't connect properly with the other child which apparently all children go through, they avoid eye contact with themselves and are quite upset by the reflection. then finally they recognised the image as a reflection of themselves when they were around 3 or 4 i think.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 01:34 pm
benjamino wrote:
i was watching a programme on this a few days ago, a guy working with primates and mirrors, who used the paint test fredjones mentioned and also he would hide food out of the apes line of sight but where it could be seen with a mirror and the apes developed the ability to recognise the reflection for what it was. although while they could recognise the reflection of the food, most of them still didnt register the other ape as themselves. then he strated working with toddlers using the paint test, it was really interesting watching the idea of self develop. when they were really young they just saw another baby and tried to interect with it and crawl into the mirror, then there was a stage where they didn't like the mirror because they couldn't connect properly with the other child which apparently all children go through, they avoid eye contact with themselves and are quite upset by the reflection. then finally they recognised the image as a reflection of themselves when they were around 3 or 4 i think.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 02:23 pm
I agree with earlier posts that say that nature provides the capability for recognition, and that the individual probably cannot at first connect the image they see in the mirror with their current concept of 'self.' But only after a certain age do humans and other primates have the capability for mirror recognition, suggesting that it is heavily tied to brain development. In other words, one requires an advanced, mature brain to connect the mirror image with the self.

Interesting to think of what life would be like if you never saw your reflection. Would it change your personality to find out (upon finally seeing yourself) that you were uglier/better looking than you thought?
0 Replies