Adam and Eve

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 03:11 am
Im not asking for an argument just interested in opinions.
If,as the Bible says Adam and Eve were the first couple on earth, I take it we all stemmed from them, therefore we are all related ot each other.
So how did that happen without a serious amount of inbreeding and incest?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,920 • Replies: 25
No top replies

fredjones

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 03:54 am
My opinion is that the Adam and Eve story functions to explain our relationship with God. It sets up all kinds of things for religions, like original sin. I have not heard of any factual evidence backing up the existence of a Garden of Eden. Although I do remember hearing about efforts to trace all of humanity back to one mother through mitochondrial DNA. My memory is pretty hazy on what happened though.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 04:32 am
Quote:
If,as the Bible says Adam and Eve were the first couple on earth, I take it we all stemmed from them, therefore we are all related ot each other.

That's how it's written yes.

Quote:

It couldn't. Without subsequent recreation of humans it would necessarily involve incest, particularly when the population of the Earth is later destroyed with the exception of Noah and his family. Thus yet another round of inbreeding occurs.

Of course this obviously didn't actually happen. You can see the results of the entire species being rebuilt from too few individuals by looking at Acinonyx Jubatus, (The cheetah).

Thus the bible is clearly and obviously inaccurate in at least that one detail, the theological implications of such are a matter to be decided by those who use it as a source of religious inspiration.
0 Replies

val

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 04:35 am
Re: Adam and Eve
material girl

Just one question, due to my ignorance.
Adam and Eve had two sons, Abel and Cain. Did they also have daughters?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 05:19 am
Val-This morning I was thinking about it and I thought about 2 sons Cain and Abel.Im not aware of ant daughters but I think they had a 2rd son.The name Seth springs to mind but Im not sure where i got that from.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 05:58 am
Hey I am still stuck on the fact of how did they get here?? But I believe we all are related somewhere down the line!!
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 07:00 am
Yeah Adam and Even only had two sons the bible mentions, Cain and Abel, but i think there is one more son Seth that is the mystery son. I used to go to church but never payed attention.... Genesis 4:17 says that Cain lay with his wife. So what is commonly debated is who was this girl? Where did she come?

Maybe God created another family on the other side of town and people forgot to mention it. I think most of the bible that dates as far back as genisis are mistold stories based on what people heard from other people not truth. They do have relevance to the entire story of the new testament though. Its a good intro having man forever plagued with sin.

The Talmud says that Cain and Abel were both born with twin sisters.

The bible doesn't condone near-relative marriages though so im not sure why God would choose to start with just Adam and Eve and even later in the bible when God flooded the world didn't that just leave noah and his wife the only two people?

I think Cain banged Eve, cause she was made perfect so who could resist?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 07:06 am
material girl wrote:
Val-This morning I was thinking about it and I thought about 2 sons Cain and Abel.Im not aware of ant daughters but I think they had a 2rd son.The name Seth springs to mind but Im not sure where i got that from.

Seth was their third son. Seth means replacement as he was the replacement for Abel. We all know what happened to him. It is probable and I believe supported that after leaving the Garden Adam and Eve had many sons and duaghters.

As for inbreeding that would certainly explain a lot wouldn't it? :wink:
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 07:10 am
It would explain alot about you!!hehe
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 07:14 am
material girl wrote:
It would explain alot about you!!hehe

Easy there material girl, I'm a delicate flower and easily hurt
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 07:28 am
Sadly I have read maybe one or two paragraphs from the bible in my life... so I did not know that Adam and Eve had another child..... but I do think they would have had to either mate with their mother or the God created more people after Adam and Eve but we weren't told about them because apparently there is nothing special about the 2nd man and 2nd woman made... just the first... but why would there be? Once something is already done why be in awe of it when it is done again?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 07:31 am
There was no- one there to go 'wow' .
God was waiting for programmes like Big Brother to come along.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 07:32 am
Sorry BVT, Il be gentle with you.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 08:30 am
Quote:
Im not asking for an argument just interested in opinions.

It didn't. Adam and Eve were the first organic cells. Amoebas. That is the only explanation that fits the tale that god makes Eve from Adams rib. Well, not his rib exactly. But that passage in the Bible is a description of cytogenesis. Described in such a way that it is understandable to a person who has never even seen a microscope.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 08:46 am
Surely the people that wrote the Bible had never seen a microscope anyway.
Maybe they described it th way they did because thats what really happened.
Then again if they wernt around at the dawn of time maybe they made it up as they went along.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 09:08 am
There is an old myth that the truth of everything was handed to the humans by the sungod Manu. He had it from an even greater god. This is Hindu lore I think. Anyway, this truth is supposedly forgotten, and it is not impossible that other myths and tales, such as the genesis, may be parts or retellings of the original myth.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 09:17 am
Cyracuz wrote:
There is an old myth that the truth of everything was handed to the humans by the sungod Manu. He had it from an even greater god. This is Hindu lore I think. Anyway, this truth is supposedly forgotten, and it is not impossible that other myths and tales, such as the genesis, may be parts or retellings of the original myth.

Actually Vivasan was the Sun god and he passed the knowledge to Vanu who was the father of mankind.

Or so I hear.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 09:23 am
Yeah, I read that in Cosmo.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 09:24 am
That sounds more accurate Blueveinedthrobber.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 09:26 am
Oh yeah, I remember that issue.

That was the "Multiples and Your Deity...How to Pleasure Him Over and Over"
0 Replies