Astral/Out-of-Body Experience?

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 06:37 pm
Have you ever had an "out-of-body" experience?

I've had "dreams" where it appeared I was floating out of my body, and going off through space.

Definitely different than most "dreams." Colors, sounds, entire sensory experience was unforgettable and on a different level than 99% of my nightly dreams.

Difficult to say if it was simply a vivid dream or some form of a "reality."

Anyone have experience with this phenomena?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,132 • Replies: 12
No top replies

burnettegirl222

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 08:20 pm
I haven't had that experience yet but I do know what you are talking about, though I will not post it here.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 09:22 pm
Re: Astral/Out-of-Body Experience?
extra medium wrote:
Difficult to say if it was simply a vivid dream or some form of a "reality." Anyone have experience with this phenomena?

I once dreamed that I was a bird. This was no ordinary flying dream with effortless floating, rather the detail level was absolute. I felt the actual air-currents, adjusted my wings even to the point of feeling muscle strain when I performed rapid turns and braking. Quite a remarkable experience which still remains with me several years after having the dream.

Described this way, the dream itself seems almost mystical. Perhaps I possessed a bird in the real world or regressed to a past life in which I was a bird.

If we zoom out a little though and look at the entire dream, in which I joined the animorphs to fight aliens who had taken over a giant K-mart store and ended by sleeping with Jake (I had a crush on Shawn Ashmore at the time), it becomes pretty clear that it was a dream.

Yes, sometimes the brain outdoes itself with fantastic creations in its dreams. Yet this doesn't mean some magical process is occuring. More likely the body is disturbed by an odd chemical balance or a bit of indigestion. One is reminded of the quote "there's more of gravy than of grave about you".

Whether it's near death experiences or astral projection, people have a long history of reading a form of reality into their dreams. The brain, as the director of this amazing film, goes as uncredited as a blacklisted communist in early hollywood history.
0 Replies

pokey606

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 06:49 pm
out of body experience
I would like to think that I have had several out of body experiences when your mind is like literally outside of your body and you are the observer just looking in. However when I think of out of body experience I usually think of tramatic experiences. One of such that has happened to me. i have actually had several near death situations in my life and i am only 18. The most recent one however was just last spring break while I was in puerto rico with my father and brother. The main reason we went there was to check out the surfing and we went to this nice beach and rented boards. To make a long anguishing story short I, by myself , with no one else in the ocean and barely anyone on the beach got stuck in a riptide and couldn't paddle in and was being pulled farther and farther away from the beach. My father came to rescue me but he just got stuck as well and began to panic. I remeber however in this moment, even while i was panicking I felt like my mind left my body and was basically reassureing me that I was going to live and was going to be alright, And in reality i came very close to drowning to death. And luckly two puerto rican men saved me and my fathers lives. The sad thing is is that I didn't even get to say thank you but I basically owe my life to them.
0 Replies

chillin05

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 12:54 am
I'd say the only out-of-body experience that i've ever had was watching the sunset on lake champlain in Vermont in late summer. There's just something about the way the light hits the water, and the beautiful blend of colors in the sky that gives you chills. in a sense, you could call it a religious experience because, to me, sunsets are the epitomy of transcendent. We all want to know how these colors come about, where the sun goes. when i was young i used to think it went straight into the ground. it's just something that is so out of this world that when it occurs, you feel like you've just witnessed a once-in-a-lifetime event.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 01:41 am
Maybe I shouldn't say this but . . .
I unzipped my suit once and stepped into the earth
without protection. But I slipped and fell out the air and wasn't
able to get back through until I became scared enough to
have substance and molecules, in a sticky, adhering sort of way.

I didn't mind the fluidity but the thought patterns made it
difficult to remain. I had to imagine a salamander edging
into a circular philosophy and then the fabric held again.
I don't know how long the warranty lasts but I sure am glad
the logic holds. The datasets have been getting a lot
more harmonic, so I think it's only a matter of time now.

It tasted kind of reddish spiral in A-flat, if you know what
I mean. Almost like neurotropic endysis - not as strange
as certain infinitives but definitely portable to most other
things. Thirsty, I guess. Like the dust inside water. Does
that ever happen in your life-ness?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 04:23 pm
CodeBorg wrote:

I didn't mind the fluidity but the thought patterns made it
difficult to remain. I had to imagine a salamander edging
into a circular philosophy and then the fabric held again.
I don't know how long the warranty lasts but I sure am glad
the logic holds. The datasets have been getting a lot
more harmonic, so I think it's only a matter of time now.

It tasted kind of reddish spiral in A-flat, if you know what
I mean. Almost like neurotropic endysis - not as strange
as certain infinitives but definitely portable to most other
things. Thirsty, I guess. Like the dust inside water. Does
that ever happen in your life-ness?

Yes.

Exactly.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 04:38 pm
Re: out of body experience
pokey606 wrote:
I would like to think that I have had several out of body experiences when your mind is like literally outside of your body and you are the observer just looking in. However when I think of out of body experience I usually think of tramatic experiences. One of such that has happened to me. i have actually had several near death situations in my life and i am only 18. The most recent one however was just last spring break while I was in puerto rico with my father and brother. The main reason we went there was to check out the surfing and we went to this nice beach and rented boards. To make a long anguishing story short I, by myself , with no one else in the ocean and barely anyone on the beach got stuck in a riptide and couldn't paddle in and was being pulled farther and farther away from the beach. My father came to rescue me but he just got stuck as well and began to panic. I remeber however in this moment, even while i was panicking I felt like my mind left my body and was basically reassureing me that I was going to live and was going to be alright, And in reality i came very close to drowning to death. And luckly two puerto rican men saved me and my fathers lives. The sad thing is is that I didn't even get to say thank you but I basically owe my life to them.

Just a heads up, but if this ever happens to you again, don't fight the current. Let it take you out, swim parallel to the beach instead of towards it, and eventually you will escape the riptide. Fighting it will only tire you out.

I had something similar happen once, only it was in Lake Michigan, where this odd current was running partially parallel to the beach but slightly outward, and I couldn't get past it to get back to the beach. That one almost got me, as it wasn't anything like a standard riptide. Fortunately it was just shallow enough (slightly over my head) that I was able to bounce my way back to the beach and overcome it.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 08:47 pm
Been there done that so many times - its always been when i was sleeping. Goes along the following lines:

I would wake up at night in bed and the first thought I always have is "Yes, I am awake." and then I would try to move. And I never ever could. something had tied me down, like invisible rope, like superglue. And I wasn't asleep - I knew it because I would think, "Calm down and look around. Can you see what is here, recognise them and say what they are?" And I always could - my desk, my chair, my map on the wall. I knew I was awake, fully awake. And I would think, "Ok, now, try to call out. Say something!" And I could open my mouth but no sound came out - even breathing became difficult. Then I would think, "Ok, so you can't say a word." and then it would always be at this point of time I would see myself, staring down at me by the side of the bed - I would see me standing up and lying down face up at the same time. And suddenly this voice would say, "Its alright. I'll be there, so go back to sleep." and I would just nod off, like someone drugged me, yet at the same time I felt like some part of me missing suddenly entered again - and I would immeidately wake up again and regain all my movement and speech.

I was never scared, never. It was interesting. I wish I could talk to my other self that I see all the time, I would have so many questions for her. Besides, its happened so often, I am disappointed when it doesn't every now and then.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:15 pm
CodeBorg wrote:

You should write sci-fi. I like your style.

That little bit reminds me of _The Madness Season_ by CS Friedman.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:41 pm
I have had the out of body experience while tripping many times in the past. Pretty cool.

Once when doing like 13 hits of acid on a three day trip I got to thinking I wasn't going to be able to reconnect and for just a second there that got a little weird but then I decided to just go with it. I had to choose whether to be on the bus or off the bus ya know? It all worked out.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 08:48 am
I have had many of these. Some i deliberatly create, some happen by 'chance' in a dream.
One time really sticks out in my mind.
I was still living in New Mexico and had just gotten in contact with a high school friend after 10 years. She still lived here in Austin.
We talked ALOT. After about 2 months, we arranged for her to come to NM to see me. Before she got there, maybe about a day or 2, I was in her home. I saw her furniture, her pictures, her bathroom, smelled her cooking, saw her in the kitchen, saw her boyfriend in the living room, felt her house dress that she was wearing... everything. The details were AMAZING. I could feel, smell, hear and touch everything as if I were in her kitchen.
I told her about this dream after she arrived and I told her all of the details of her apt I saw in my dream. It was as I described exactly. Even funnier.. she remembers that day because her boyfriend was paranoid after a while because he thought someone was watching them. He ran around bolting doors, and checking windows. Laughing
Strange.. but realllllly cool. :-)
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2022 03:41 am
Three contiguous astronomers blinked at exactly the same time, and it felt like 16 years suddenly went by. One of them asked "Did you get the sample?" No, not enough moments. Of inertia. In love. "Well, try to exist on the inside. Take your time." But it keeps moving with significant emotions and figures. "It's supposed to do that." Then the body realized once again. Without even trying.
0 Replies