Why self punish?

Pantalones

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 04:08 pm
- Some people will think that these acts of self-punishment are not that, because they don't think the actions that they are not doing are not gratificating.
- Others will think that resisting the temptation will give them a better state of mind, maybe they'll get pride knowing that they withstood.
- Some others will just be afraid of what might happen.
0 Replies

Borealis

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 08:44 pm
thethinkfactory wrote:
Now as far as the topic goes - what do you mean that they deprive themselves of something natural.

Can you give an example of what is natural? I mean some would say that sex is natural and to deprive themselves of sex is unnatural - other would not know how to live thier lives out of celebacy.

TTF

I agree, what is natural? Natural to one person could be unnatural to another. The matter of perspective surrounds this issue, as what we percieve as punishment in our view could be quite the alternative in another.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 07:05 am
I think Pain is unnatural to cause to yourself. I am not a relativist - but defining WHAT causes that pain might be subjective.

TTF
0 Replies

puffthemajicdragonallday

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:34 am
by giving somthing up, you are not entirely loosing out; you are gaining disipline, self control... just try to give up something and see if you gain?
0 Replies