Why self punish?

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 02:02 am
Ive been reading how some people 'starve' themselves of natural things.
Why do some people feel like they have to miss out on things?
Is it a punishment?
Why do it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,052 • Replies: 23
No top replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 02:17 am
Re: Why self punish?
material girl wrote:
Why do it?

The simple answer would be "people are strange", but I'd feel I was cheating you if it let it slide at that.

There is a common belief in balance and fairness amongst humans which leads to them making some particularly bizarre philosophies. One such bizarre philosophy that you see over and over is the idea that by giving something up, you will receive a benefit. If the benefit can not be seen then it must clearly be an invisible and truely special benefit, rather than simply realising that you haven't received anything at all.

Likewise the concept of receiving something for free or no particular reason seems impossible and thus if you can't see the cost then there must be an invisible cost.

I think that's the main component.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 02:25 am
Because I hate myself, all right?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 02:33 am
Such crazyness.

I believe in karma,if you do something good something good will happen to you in return or if you do something bad or selfish something bad will happen in return.
I try to avoid things that are considered 'sinful' but I can honestly say I dont feel any gain from it.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 02:35 am
watchmakers guidedog wrote:
There is a common belief in balance and fairness amongst humans which leads to them making some particularly bizarre philosophies.

material girl wrote:
I believe in karma,if you do something good something good will happen to you in return or if you do something bad or selfish something bad will happen in return.

Case in point.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 02:38 am
OK cleverclogs.

I just cant work out why, after knowing it doesnt work, do I continue to do it!!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 03:34 am
material girl wrote:
OK cleverclogs.

I just cant work out why, after knowing it doesnt work, do I continue to do it!!

That is frequently used as an example of insanity: doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result next time. Alcoholics, as well as people consistently 'unlucky' in love, do this all the time.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 03:37 am
Cant claim to be an alcoholic but Im definately unlucky in love.
So staying in on Friday and saturday night isnt gona do me any good then?
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 05:16 am
material girl wrote:
OK cleverclogs.

Pause for thought before doing X.

Think, "okay, is what I'm doing working? No? Why not?" and come up with a new way of doing it.

Do it the new way.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 07:31 am
Okey doke, Il give it a go.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 03:05 pm
material girl wrote:
Is it a punishment?
Why do it?

Dear Lady,

I rather think you need to be more explicit ! What exactly do you refer to as 'things?'

Three in a bed romps?
Masturbating with boxing gloves on?
Eating rat, locusts, dog, pig?
Not being able to write a cheque out for £50,000..00 $100,000.00
Denying yourself anything electrical?
Not washing, shaving or trimming your hair?

Just a few examples of what I could immediately put to things!

George, The Landlord of my local could no doubt fill an A12 with a host of things.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 09:14 pm
Mathos wrote:
Dear Lady,

I rather think you need to be more explicit! What exactly do you refer to as 'things?'

The timing of this thread's creation indicates that it was an outgrowth of another discussion about the ills of masturbation which Material Girl is now exploring in a more generalised way.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 02:00 am
Im exploring it until Im completely satisfied!!

Yes, by things I mean exactly the things you listed Mr Mathos.
BTW I am able to write out a cheque for $50,000, it just wouldnt be usable.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 09:22 am
Quote:
Is it a punishment?
Why do it?

I am sure all of you have experienced on several occasions that an experience you thought would be a really good turned out to be the exact oposite. Is it so improbable that it can be the other way around?

There are those in this world who seek to kill their ego's through suffering. Ascets I think they're called. They believe that suffering will purify them of all illution so they can reach nirvana.

One last thing to consider is that many do not know what is good and what is bad.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 03:16 pm
material girl wrote:
Im exploring it until Im completely satisfied!!

Yes, by things I mean exactly the things you listed Mr Mathos.
BTW I am able to write out a cheque for $50,000, it just wouldnt be usable.

It was £'s not dollars, the $'s applied to the hundred thousand. Please pay attention 'young lady.'

Exploring masturbation, amongst other things no doubt. Really, let us get to the crux of this matter. Let us view a list of perhaps (to start with) three things which you, so far, have neglected to take, been denied, or have been afraid to take. I am sure we can make this thread an absolute mind blowing experience. If we keep it honest and appreciate the personal concerns and the respect they should be shown in general.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 08:36 pm
The thing I think is interesting on this topic is that we can punish ourselves more effectively than anyone else, at any given moment.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 03:21 pm
extra medium wrote:
The thing I think is interesting on this topic is that we can punish ourselves more effectively than anyone else, at any given moment.

With you 100% EM an extremely profound and interesting thread if the input is offered with candour and trust.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 02:57 pm
Material Girl, you fired off a good thread here, then ran away, why?
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 06:28 pm
material girl wrote:

I don't think you believe in Karma in the religious sense. I think you believe in some sort of axiom of 'what goes around - comes around'. Karma happens over a lifetime. It is not some sort of "If I do good - good will come back to me" kind of thing. Many believe that the untouchables are in this life merely to be treated as such (no matter how they treat others) and they will get thier rewards or "punishment" in the next life.

I am no Hundu expert, for certain, but when I hear the westernized version of Karma I cringe.

I have put words in your mouth however and wonder if I have unfairly represented your thoughts.

TF
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 06:30 pm
Now as far as the topic goes - what do you mean that they deprive themselves of something natural.

Can you give an example of what is natural? I mean some would say that sex is natural and to deprive themselves of sex is unnatural - other would not know how to live thier lives out of celebacy.

TTF
0 Replies