Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,085 • Replies: 13
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 10:45 am
unfortunately, I'm not a mod...
0 Replies

recklesssarcastic

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 03:40 pm
that is not only idiotic, but insulting to me as a poet/writer....I agree totally with stuh
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 05:56 pm
I also agree with you stuh.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 04:30 am
recklesssarcastic wrote:
that is not only idiotic, but insulting to me as a poem....I agree totally with stuh

Art that challenges people and creates controversy is the best kind, dontcha think? Laughing
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 04:51 am
Bananarama
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 12:23 pm
Quote:
Art that challenges people and creates controversy is the best kind, dontcha think? Laughing

Art?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:28 pm
Poetry is an expression. Where does it say in the rule book that it has to be so many lines or words long?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 04:50 pm
Quote:
Art that challenges people and creates controversy is the best kind, dontcha think?

No, I don't think so -- but some people do.

I think that the best kind of art is the kind that simply engages the interest of the target audience out of aesthetic interest. It is easy to get people's attention but art is about getting their aesthetic attention.

That said, your piece does not challenge any audience that comprehends English, and the controversy that it creates is merely over how you should be dealt with in order to maintain good forum etiquette.

Quote:
Poetry is an expression. Where does it say in the rule book that it has to be so many lines or words long?

Sure, there are no rules, so we may as well allow artists to give it their own labels...and if the artist considers it a poem, so be it.

But that doesn't make it a good poem. While it is hard to arbitrarily assign value rankings to pieces of art due to the magnitude of factors, I think it is obvious that there are certain factors which are of primary importance, such as: appreciation of the target audience, originality, craftsmanship...and this piece demonstrates none. Art is about creation, and the building blocks of a poem are words. By limiting your poem to 1 word, you are no longer creating something...you are simply selecting something. If the units are subdivided further so that the building blocks are letters, then yes, a one word poem could have creativity if the writer was actually designing a new word. Nonetheless, it would be much less impressive in my opinion than writing a successful traditional poem.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 10:54 pm
Did you mean tinkle? Tinkle is so much more poetic, don't you think?
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:55 pm
Agrote, did you mean your poem as a verb or a noun?

Certainly not an acronym, because it wasn't capitalized.
Nor an exclamation, with that period at the end.
It seems more a statement or observation than a directive or question. Yet it leads me to questions.

Puzzled.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 06:30 am
stuh505 wrote:

Sure, there are no rules, so we may as well allow artists to give it their own labels...and if the artist considers it a poem, so be it.

But that doesn't make it a good poem.

True. But it doesn't make it any less of a poem.

That is all I was pointing out. Smile
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:44 am
CodeBorg wrote:
Agrote, did you mean your poem as a verb or a noun?

Certainly not an acronym, because it wasn't capitalized.
Nor an exclamation, with that period at the end.
It seems more a statement or observation than a directive or question. Yet it leads me to questions.

Puzzled.

Ooh, what a good response! It was meant as a noun, and it is a sort of observation, yes. Would you say that the poem has appealed to you (a member of my target audience, being a viewer of this forum) aesthetically? Cause that would be cool... Laughing
0 Replies

benjamino

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 09:02 am
i was enthralled by your poem and have read and re-read it numerous times today, i look forward to reading more of your work
0 Replies