cash3

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:36 pm
Just had an interesting thought the other day and thought I'd share it with you and see what y'all thought. Atheists claim that there is no God right? Well then why, if they do, do they still use the phrase "Oh my god"? Doesn't that imply that they are talking about their God? But if they are truly atheist then they don't have a god so why do they say that or any other phrase referring to a greater power? Isn't it a contradiction?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,069 • Replies: 60
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:40 pm
i'll have to add that to my contradictionary.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:43 pm
Omigod, that's like so incredibly deep, man. Like I'm an agnostic, right? But I say like "oh my god" like alllll the time! So I'm like super hypocritical, right? Oh my god! Uh oh I just said it again.

It's a turn of phrase, cash. There was a time I said "gag me with a spoon", too -- didn't mean a heck of a lot. (If I say heck does that mean I'm Satanic?)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:47 pm
i say sh*t, but i never do it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:47 pm
I say "holy ****" does it mean that I am conferring a state of beatification on a turd? I think this one needs to return to the drawing boards
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:50 pm
a turd beatified
was canned
a landscape beautified
was damned
0 Replies

cash3

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:03 pm
sozobe wrote:
(If I say heck does that mean I'm Satanic?)

No because there is no religion based on heck. Nor is heck even a place.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:06 pm
So if I said hell...?
0 Replies

cash3

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:10 pm
farmerman wrote:
I say "holy ****" does it mean that I am conferring a state of beatification on a turd?

No but it would be a contradiction if you lived your life saying that there is no such thing as a turd and then you said that. Thats what I'm getting at. How can you live saying that you don't believe in something but yet everyday you use phrases that go against your religion?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:12 pm
patiodog wrote:

Shocked

Then you're full of it! Laughing
0 Replies

cash3

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:13 pm
Sozobe, that last one can be to you too, just replace turd with hell.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:14 pm
Well, that goes back to turn of phrase. I really didn't actually want people to gag me with a spoon when I said that.

It is one of many, many phrases that appeared out of... somewhere... and are commonly understood and are therefore used without any particular respect to their literal meaning. (Could be interesting to catalogue 'em, to be sure.)

Like, uh, "it's raining cats and dogs." How can you live saying something that is so patently untrue?!! Cats and dogs just DON'T rain from the sky, I'm telling you!!!

If anything, it seems like it would be the religious types who would be more hypocritical with the "oh my god" example, since while for us athiests/agnostics its a turn of phrase, for Christians it's specifically going against the "don't use my name in vain" thing.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:14 pm
squinney wrote:
patiodog wrote:

Shocked

Then you're full of it! Laughing

that would explain a number of things...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:15 pm
hee hee hee...!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:24 pm
cash3 wrote:
How can you live saying that you don't believe in something but yet everyday you use phrases that go against your religion?

Using a turn of phrase that invokes someone else's religion by using terms such as 'god' or 'hell' isn't a contradiction to the atheist and it doesn't go against their religion. It would only go against someone's Judeo-Christian religious traditions if, like Soz said above, they felt it was taking the Lord's name in vain.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 04:41 pm
Patiodog! Shocked QUICK, GET A BOTTLE OF PRUNE JUICE, AND A BOX OF EX-LAX Exclamation
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 04:44 pm
mmmmmm, box...

(booman? is that you?!?)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 04:48 pm
where is Kicky - he's got the blue potatoe thingy going
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 05:32 pm
It's just that the literalists and fundamentalists have commandeered and monopolized the word, god, to their own shallow ends that is something akin to an image that children believe in. God can also refer to a sense of awe, reverence, and unity that we feel within us. All I can say is, god, I hope they grow up. We can't let childish dorks like Jerry Falwell define the word god for us!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 05:48 pm
Re: "Oh my god"
cash3 wrote:
Atheists claim that there is no God right?

First, this rather dull-witted assertion. Theists claim that atheists claim that there is no god. Some anti-religionists, who raise their scepticism and devotion to science to the level of religion, claim that there is no god, and that they are atheists. However, i consider such types from a sort or reversed ontological position. Their fanatical insistence that no god exists is suspiciously close to validating the loony assertion of ontologists that the denial of god is an affirmation of god.

I am atheist--which is to say, that i am without god, which is all the word means. Inasmuch as i have never encountered any reasonable evidence that there are any gods and goddesses, i consider that everyone is atheist--that is to say, that everyone is without god, whether or not they know or admit it. I don't call myself an atheist, because in the absence of evidence (which is neither evidence of absence, nor proof of existence--the latter being the ontological view), it becomes a non-question. I am equally without Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, but no one seeks to define me on that basis.

Which brings us to your very silly assertions. When you write something such as: "Doesn't that imply that they are talking about their God?" --then it occurs to me that you ought not to invest large sums of money without trustworthy expert advice.
0 Replies