Gets power, but doesn't even reach boot. ARRGGH!

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 05:21 pm
My grandma's cpu/mobo fried so I got her a new one. When I got it all hooked up, I ran into a problem with a conflict with the USB that would randomly make the computer shutdown. I couldn't get it figured out after too many hours so I brought the pc home with me.

Now here's the real problem....

Brought the pc home and didn't touch it for a couple days because I was busy. Today, I push the button to fire it up and work on it, and it doesn't load up. When I push the power button...everything fires right up like it normally would and you can hear the HD get the original "power surge" sound and all the fans kick in, but thats all the farther it gets. After the initial "surge" sound that the HD makes, it never makes that next "clicking and loading" sound in the HD and it doesn't get far enough to beep. The monitor doesn't get a signal from the pc...it just flashes green/amber light back and forth.

I've swapped piece by piece, everything that I can from my computer to hers and her computer to mine. This includes everything except CPU and RAM as we have different types of these 2 components. At first I thought for some reason the power supply went bad, but it fires my computer right up. Put my PS on her computer and hers still won't load. Etc, etc, etc...I've done that with Vid cards, hard drives, everything except CPU and RAM. And each time, her pieces work in my computer, and my pieces don't work in her computer.

All these components did work together after I got the new mobo/cpu, it was just an IRQ conflict with usb that I was having problems with before...

Anyone ever have this problem before? The cpu is brand new so I doubt thats the problem, and I don't know what could have happened to effect the RAM...

All I know is this is seriously pissing me off and I've spent 3 hours swapping parts and getting irritated just trying to fix this problem so I can get back to working on the original problem at hand.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 588 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:35 pm
Did you check to see if the ram chips got loose when you moved the computer? Wouldn't hurt to ensure that they are seated properly.
0 Replies

jilly1007

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 11:04 pm
doesn't even reach boot?!
I may be a little out of my league here, but here goes: I had the same problem with a computer that my husband brought over that his brother was just going to throw away.
The stupid thing would do everything, sounded like it anyway, but would never catch the monitor, the monitor would just flash the "your monitor is working RBG check cables and pc...." I tried every other monitor that I had in the house. same thing.
Finally I looked the motherboard schematics up on the internet, (where the jumpers go, the correct settings for the cpu, ect. I set these to the right settings and it WORKED!!
It is just a thought but perhaps, if the others' suggestions do not work, maybe this will help.
P.S. Some motherboards have all of the different combinations of settings right on it, mine did not.
Good luck!!!
0 Replies