Crashing and Re-Installing My Used CPU

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 04:39 pm
My recieved a free replacement computer for my old one that broke. The new computer is heavily filled with extraneous crap, viruses, etc.

I want to wipe it out completely starting from scratch. All I need for is it to connect to the internet via dial-up and run Microsoft Office.

What is the easiest way I can go about this? I'm familiar with computers, bu new to computer science. I follow directions fairly well, but most of the terminology and processes may be new to me.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you
- Jack

ps - The computer has XP. I do not at the moment have _any_ windows boot disk, but may be able to find one if necessary.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 534 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jilly1007

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 11:45 pm
If you do not want to reformat and such, check out www.grc.com there is a lot of information on the instability of XP and how to fix most of them. This guy used to work for microsoft and even if sp2 fixed many of the problems, the site is a great information portal for good advise on how to deal with the spyware and adware issues. It gives a lot of links to sites for free antivirus, spyware removal, etc. to help get rid of all of the unwanted junk that is slowing your system down. Also, if it comes down to it, bootdisks.com is a site where you can obtain those.
Hope this helps!
-Jill
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 11:49 pm
Just pop in a windows xp installation cd and in the installation you will have the option to do a fresh install as well as to format your computer prior to doing so.
0 Replies