Voltage on water pipes

jph02

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 02:46 pm
I have a 5 volt charge on my copper water lines in my home and anything attached to the pipes.  Its not enough to shock me, but was found when a metal flex gas line was touching a water pipe on my hot water heater.  It had arched between the lines enough to burn a small hole in the gas line and flash up shaking the whole house.  Gas line was unhooked and have no charge on gas lines now, but no water heater.  I have had the electric company out twice, 2 master electricians, gas company, water company and even the cable company out.  Not one of them can find the cause.  The electric company even cut the wires coming in to the house from the service head and pulled the meter to check if it was their problem.  With no power attached to the house, it was still showing the 5 volts on the water lines.  Someone suggested it is EMF inducing a voltage in the pipes and replacing a foot of the copper coming into the house from the service with a pex line might open the circuit.  I don't know and need some advice, I have a plumber coming out this week to talk about it.  As of now its been 2 weeks without hot water and no one can help me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 803 • Replies: 7
No top replies

blatham

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 03:23 pm
@jph02,
A short replacement of the copper with pex isn't going to cost much so I'd certainly have the plumber do that.

It's also possible that the plumber will have encountered your particular problem before and have some other solution and perhaps even an explantion. Good luck.
jph02

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 03:26 pm
@blatham,
Thanks, I hope so.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 05:15 pm
@jph02,
I don't know if it's relevant, but we have boo coo gas wells in my area. There are several companies making a living out of setting them up with anode protection to the production tubing. I forget the wire gauge used, but it's surprisingly large. The purpose is to eliminate galvanic corrosion. Possibly, your lines need similar protection.
laughoutlood

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 06:36 pm
Quote:
Someone suggested it is EMF inducing a voltage in the pipes and replacing a foot of the copper coming into the house from the service with a pex line might open the circuit

jph02

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 07:29 pm
@laughoutlood,
actually no, one of the techs suggested it.
0 Replies

jph02

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 07:31 pm
@laughoutlood,
so what do you suggest?
0 Replies

jph02

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2019 07:33 pm
@roger,
Thank you, its more than I got from the experts that checked it out here
0 Replies