Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 04:21 pm
I have two outlets in my kitchen that keep going bad. They appear to be at the end of the string. They are non GFI outlets and there is a GFI wired in before these two outlets. They keep going bad. I have installed new ones a couple of times now. They go bad within a day or two. They worked fine the first few months we lived in the house. I also notice that the light on the tester is noticeably dimmer when testing these two problem outlets than when I test the GFI before these outlets. Any idea what they problem may be and what I can do to fix it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,956 • Replies: 8
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 04:28 pm
Get an electrician.
jespah

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 05:00 pm
@contrex,
I'm with contrex. Fiddling about with bad wiring (particularly since these aren't GFI outlets, so you don't have that level of protection) is inviting a potentially fatal shock.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 05:26 pm
@Technia5,
Yep, get an electrician. I have done quite a bit of work on my house but when it came to electrical stiff I hired an electrician. I didn’t want to take any chances with burning the house down.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 06:18 pm
@Technia5,
How do the outlets "go bad"? There isn't much that can go wrong with an outlet. If they fail to have power and a new one soon fails to have power then the problem is probably the wiring, not the outlet you keep changing.

First question is how they are wired to the GFI. My guess would be the GFI is bad, someone wired the GFI wrong or the wiring from the GFI to the outlet has a problem. All could result in fire or electrocution.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 06:27 pm
@parados,
I think you are on the right track. GFIs are highly temperamental. Of course, it would be best to get an electrician as has already been said.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 06:30 pm
@parados,
Mice can chew through electrical wires. This could be causing an intermittent short. An electrician is probably in order

If I was trouble shooting, I would disconnect the electric for those outlets and check continuity and resistance.

Is wire size in the wall correct? Too small a wire can cause loss of power but also causes wires to heat up. I guess it probably isn't a good idea to assume the person that originally installed those outlets did it correctly and to proper code.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 11:35 pm
@Technia5,
You've already received the best advise; get an electrician.

BTW, when you get old like me, don't climb ladders.
0 Replies

parteeman

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 04:44 am
@Technia5,
im lic elect. yes gfis r notorious for going bad, they typically will last 5 years or less depending on use. the dim lite has me thinkin u have a neutral prob in the line. let me know if still not solved and i can walk u thru fixin it. (but ull need a voltmeter, any cheap one will work but digital is only way to go
0 Replies