descartes..help!

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 04:15 pm
Does anyone know what Descartes' version of the truth is??
If so, PLEASE help me
Thank You!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 858 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 04:20 pm
Perhaps your assignment refers to Cogito, ergo sum, which is to say: Je pense, ensuite je suis., or, in English: I think, therefore i am.

Your question is too vague for a more thorough answer, and as we do not sit in your classroom or lecture hall, you'll need to provide more background.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:05 pm
I think, therefore i am. I find, I am, therefore I think more fitting.
0 Replies

sadielove

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:19 pm
thats what i thought, thanks.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:23 pm
it means, more or less, i know i exist because i can think
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:28 pm
Or alternatively, what does it mean if one doesn't think? Say, someone in a long-termvegetative state? What might Descartes have to say about that?

Food for thought, maybe...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:30 pm
René Descartes was first and foremost a mathematician, and a particular student of geometry. Therefore, he dealt in proofs, and in the case of geometry, physically demonstrable proofs. So to begin his exploration of philosophical concepts, he felt that he must reject all prior assertions, and review all the assertions one by one for demonstrable proofs. He started at the very beginning with finding a proof for his own existence before he could examine the proof of the existence of anything or anyone else.

His proof was cogito ergo sum: "I think, therefore i am." Which is to say, to the extent that he questioned reality, he must possess reality in his own person to be capable of the exercise.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:30 pm
I understand Descarte's "I think therefore I am" to mean my thoughts, whatever I think about, hold in my mind, will become my reality. Thoughts in mind produce after their kind, so, keep a positive attitude. That, is truth.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 06:10 pm
René Descartes is usually grouped among those philosophers who we call 'idealists,' i.e. those who believe that the world is of the nature of 'idea' rather than concrete reality. He starts with the premise that our supposed knowledge has to be examined, that in looking at the world around us we have to start with a blank slate. So, assuming that we know nothing, what can we infer? Well, I can infer that I, at least, exist, am real. How do I know this? Because I can think. Therefore I must be real. I don't know anything else yet. Everything else might be just in my imagination. That is Descarte's starting point, the realization that he, at least, exists and must now examine the existence or non-existence of everything else that he senses.

If you really wanna impress your prof (or teacher) with your fine knowledge of idealism, you might also quote Schopenhauer, another idealist philosopher, whose most famous treatise starts with the words "Das Welt ist meine Forstellung." ("The world is my representation [or 'idea'].")

[Edited once for a stupid misuse of a German noun.]
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:29 am
This looks aweful familiar.

I link all of my Intro Students to A2K to expose them to Philosophical Discussion.

I also assign them journals where I ask them several questions to guide thier reading.

One of them is to describe Descartes version of truth (The cogito plus his methodology)

If this is one of my students - you may be in for a raukus time with this bunch. Smile Buckle up -

Everything I have seen thusfar on this thread is explaining better than I can...

Good luck.

TTF

p.s. If I am off base - simply ignore this message as an odd coincidence.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:31 am
D'artagnan wrote:
Or alternatively, what does it mean if one doesn't think? Say, someone in a long-termvegetative state? What might Descartes have to say about that?

Food for thought, maybe...

Great question. Where does thinking start - and simply having enough mental capacity to exist end?

I have often wondered if the severely mentally impared are not thinking beings to Descartes and thus his Cogito proof does not work for them.

TTF
0 Replies

lowermotion2

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 07:59 pm
Sadie......dont cry dry your eye!!
hey sadie, where were you in class? prof reed discussed descartes and his version of truth on monday when you werent there. if you need more help on the review sheet, we are all meeting before the test this week. see ya later..peace By the way I forgive you since your one HOTTY!!!!!Gansta Rob:lol:
0 Replies