MSN messenger...

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 03:25 pm
Anyone know if it's safe to download? My dad said it is, but my mum says 'you can't download it because bob (her boyfriend) says it brings loads of viruses!'
Uh, mr lets slow down the computer by adding loads of anti-virus programs which some probably contain viruses!!!
I've had MSN messenger b4, it's asking me to update...

I REALLY need to talk to a psychiatrist!!! Confused :wink:
Lotsa pent up anger Mad must smile Very Happy and calm down Shocked
I am actually crazy!! :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 964 • Replies: 6
No top replies

music-lover

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 01:04 pm
It's fine for me, i've got two msn addy's, [email protected] & [email protected]

NO VIRUSES ARE INCLUDED WITH MSN MESSENGER! Very Happy

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE MSN ASKING YOU IF YOU WANT TO UPGRADE TO MSN BETA OR WHAT EVER IT IS, JUST CLICK NO AND TICK DON'T ASK ME AGAIN FOR ONE WEEK
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 01:08 pm
beta might give you trouble. Some people can't run it properly yet, as they haven't worked all the kinks out yet...hence it still being a beta.

Otherwise, download away. I don't think it brings any more viruses in than email!
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 02:15 pm
OK, thanks guys!!
0 Replies

music-lover

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 10:54 am
Thats ok, do you have msn now? oh, by the way 7.0 (BETA) is no longer the newest update 7.5 is, it's basiclly the same but with sounds :wink:
0 Replies

Foxy1983

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 08:19 am
I had no idea 7.5 was out - thanks!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 10:43 am
honey_rose_cr wrote:
Anyone know if it's safe to download? My dad said it is, but my mum says 'you can't download it because bob (her boyfriend) says it brings loads of viruses!'
Uh, mr lets slow down the computer by adding loads of anti-virus programs which some probably contain viruses!!!

"bob" sounds like the sort who forwards all those hoax warnings to everyone in his address book. Reputable, major-name privacy and security apps do not cintain yuckwear, BTW, though it is true some - many, in fact - will have an impact on system performance, particularly on older, slower machines without much RAM. On the other hand, waiting a few moments for a screen to load is a small price to pay if you wish to retain control over and use of your machine. And the actual Microsoft/MSN Messenger product is free of yuckware, though there are look-alike/sound-alike 3rd-party ripoffs which are not; download and install it only from Microsoft. One notorious yuckware vector that comes immediately to mind is Patchou's Messenger Plus! - sometimes, after installing that, the process of regaining control of your machine can be very involved, tricky, and lengthy.

BAck to MSN Messenger - if your currently ionstalled, LEGITIMATE, AUTHENTIC Microsoft messaging client prompts you to update, you should do so by all means; newer versions offer not only enhanced user features and functionality, but also increased stability and security. Messenger V. 7 has been out quit a while, and generally has been working OK for folks, even if it is a "Beta". As long as your machine has a processor with a speed of at least a few hundred Ghz, you have sufficient RAM - at least 128Meg for Win 9x, 256 for Win XP - double for either is really a preferable minimum, but 128/256 ought to at least work - and your operating system, browser, and security/privacy applications are up to date and properly configured, you should have no problems.

One thing that should be remembered, particularly with older, slower, less capable machines is that the more you ask it to do at any one time, the longer its gonna take for the machine to get any of it done. There's only so much available for Processor and Memory, and everything running uses resources. The less you have running, the fewer background or currently open apps, the faster your machine will respond.-
0 Replies