Is St. Peter's Basillica where the conclave is?

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:17 pm
Any idea on what it cost to build the building and what it's overall value is in today's market? My 5 year old wanted to know this + what Michaelangelo was paid to paint the Sistine Chapel. Anyone know these figures?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 861 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 04:35 pm
No idea of the financial value, but to answer re the chapel, it's not in the basilica itself.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:04 pm
You've got a precocious kid, princesspupule.
5 yrs. old and already interested on real state value!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:13 pm
The trick would be to get them to sell it...
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:18 pm
The cost of St Peters Basilica was a permeant split in the western Christian Church. That's the building, and its on going cost of construction, that tick off Martin Luther.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:20 pm
Here's a plan view that shows that chapel as separate from the main basilica - (see lower map)
http://www.big-italy-map.co.uk/map-of-vatican-city-map.htm
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:55 pm
Speaking of the conclave, would anyone like to hazard a guess as to which language was spoken at the conclave? I'm curious to know but can't ask because I do not have any cardinals in my small circle of friends.

Hmmm ... Latin? Italian? Other?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:16 pm
I got the impression from some of what I've read in the last few days that the sessions themselves are fairly quiet, however tense the quiet. There are rules, I think, re types of speech allowed. It's the inbetween times that get busy, probably in many languages. I also got the impression that much of the session is ritualized in latin.

Guessing, of course!

(Hi, Aa)
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 09:40 am
All you say makes sense, ossobuco, and believe your impression is quite probably the case.

What I was really wondering was which language was used by the person presiding over the conclave (that would have been Cardinal Ratzinger, as Dean) when making general announcements to the entire group. The lingua franca isn't always French. Latin would fit the ceremonial things (Extra omnia), but perhaps not Latin for "Please disguise your handwriting on the ballot".

(Hi right back, ossobuco)
0 Replies