Do People Laugh At the Things That They Fear Most?

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:45 am
Bella Dea wrote:
I am in no way being self-righteous. If anyone is, it's you.

Ahem

Selfrighteous. Adjective. "Thinking that one is more moral than others."
(worldbook dictionary)

Bella Dea wrote:
This would indicate that people (Paraphrased: who act differently to me on this issue)are insensitive and heartless. At least when it comes to major issues concerning humanity.

Point taken?

I am being arrogant, yes.
Opionated, certainly.
Self-centred, perhaps.
Rude, without doubt.

Yet selfrighteous? All I'm saying is that perhaps people like me ain't as wrong as you seem to think.

Quote:
You wouldn't bust out laughing at a starving child. At least I hope you wouldn't. "Hey, look at that kid....his belly looks like he's pregnant! That is so f'ing funny!!!" I highly doubt anyone with a heart or a brain in their head would say that. But I could be wrong.

It would have to be a funnier joke, I've never been a big one for sight-gags...

Quote:
And to say that you are not the least bit confused when it comes to the world is to lie.

When it comes to the world and living my life. No, confused isn't the emotion I would pick. I wouldn't use the phrase "not the least bit confused", I mean hell, I get confused at times... who doesn't?

But life makes sense. At times I wish it didn't, but the world ultimately is pretty clear.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:53 am
watchmakers guidedog wrote:

Ahem

Selfrighteous. Adjective. "Thinking that one is more moral than others."
(worldbook dictionary)

Just a question...when did I ever say I was more moral than anyone else?

Bella Dea wrote:
This would indicate that people (Paraphrased: who act differently to me on this issue)are insensitive and heartless. At least when it comes to major issues concerning humanity.

Point taken?

I am being arrogant, yes.
Opionated, certainly.
Self-centred, perhaps.
Rude, without doubt.

Yet selfrighteous? All I'm saying is that perhaps people like me ain't as wrong as you seem to think.

Ok, so what is your definition of right and wrong? Where do you draw the line? If you think that I am being so morally righteous, tell me where being a decent human being begins. Starving people? War? POW's? Dead babies? Where do jokes become morally wrong? If at all?

Quote:
You wouldn't bust out laughing at a starving child. At least I hope you wouldn't. "Hey, look at that kid....his belly looks like he's pregnant! That is so f'ing funny!!!" I highly doubt anyone with a heart or a brain in their head would say that. But I could be wrong.

It would have to be a funnier joke, I've never been a big one for sight-gags...

So if it were a written or spoken joke, a bloated starving child could be funny to you?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:58 am
By the way, before you label me, I do think that the world is a little overboard when it comes to being PC. And I don't think that we should have to censor everything we say. I do, however, believe in common courtesy and kindness. And there are some things you just shouldn't say or do out of compassion and human kindness.

Not to mention, what you say and do in your own home or with your friends is one thing. You want to sit around and laugh about dead babies, be my guest.
To post it on the internet or announce it to the world might not be "wrong" but it is mean and hard hearted.
0 Replies