Do People Laugh At the Things That They Fear Most?

Montana

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:38 pm
Phoenix
I simply can't understand this kind of fear factor. I never laugh at tragic situations, but I do tend to do a lot of crying.
The example I gave on the other thread about my cousins son is not the reason I feel so strongly about this issue and was just expressed as an example. I would feel the way I do about this even if I never knew anyone in this situation or a similar situation. I think if it's fear that causes people to poke fun at people in tragic situations, they should really find another way to vent their fear. Crying works for me and it doesn't hurt anyone!
People who make fun of the handicap are not people I would want as my friends.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:39 pm
What about the handicapped people who make fun of their own and others' handicaps?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:40 pm
That bothers me just as much!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:45 pm
But on whose behalf?

What I'm getting at is that the people who we are supposedly protecting often (in my experience) find this stuff just as funny or funnier than the "normal" people who are laughing at it. (I personally am fairly neutral about the site -- winced, didn't laugh much -- but a) I hardly watch TV so wasn't exposed to the horrible blanket coverage which seems to me to be the true target, and b) I don't think it's so horrible as to require pulling.) The disabled people I know would be much more likely to get annoyed at sanctimonious TABs trying to "protect" them.

All of that said, the situation with your cousin's son sounds terribly sad, and much sympathy to everyone involved.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 09:09 pm
I've never met a handicap that didn't mind being made fun of, so I can't really say much on that.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and sympathy for my cousins son and everyone who cares about him/them. I appreciate that.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:53 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Brandon, personally I think you are making way more of this than you should.

People are people and generalizing that all people who laugh in uncomfortable situations are un-empathetic is just silly.

Had I ever said anything of the sort it would be.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:56 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Laughter and black humor is very common, in emotionally charged situations, and in no way indicates that the person laughing is necessarily unkind or unempathic.

Laughing at disabled, sick, dying, disadvantaged people, or just someone else's suffering need not absolutely indicate that the person who does so is unkind or unempathetic, but it certainly may indicate exactly that, particularly if the person does it routinely.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:59 pm
The fact that everyone has to talk all this **** to death ad nauseum with no intention of ever accomplishing anything from it except score points is what desensitizes people.

Can't everyone see that?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:01 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
The fact that everyone has to talk all this **** to death ad nauseum with no intention of ever accomplishing anything from it except score points is what desensitizes people.

Can't everyone see that?

Very seriously, I am not trying to score points. I find the behavior being discussed very repellant.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 02:34 am
The forbidden is fun. When we know that something is wrong or will offend people you get this little gleeful mood of "I'm doing something bad and I don't care". People who aren't in the least bit racist will tell and laugh at horrible racist jokes, because they get caught up in the thrill of doing the forbidden.

I agree with your theory. People laugh at what scares us... but it isn't the whole story.
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 02:53 am
Amanda Egge, the person who created the "Do the Schiavo" site, talks about why it's "Hilarious."

Listen to her interview explaining why it's funny here:
http://ruthlessreviews.com/mp3/eggenl.mp3

Shocked Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 05:43 am
Montana wrote:
I think if it's fear that causes people to poke fun at people in tragic situations, they should really find another way to vent their fear. Crying works for me and it doesn't hurt anyone!

You have found your characteristic way of coping with fear, and tragic situations. Can you even consider that other people have developed different types of coping skills? Or do you believe that your way the only correct way?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 06:48 am
Montana wrote:
Phoenix
I simply can't understand this kind of fear factor. I never laugh at tragic situations, but I do tend to do a lot of crying.

You never giggle or smile when nervous? Or unsure of what to do? If someone tells an off color joke (perhaps something that toes the line of acceptable behavior), something that isn't horrific (horrific like saying they like torturing and killing small animals, for example) and you aren't sure how to react, what do you do? Just curious. A vast majority of people will do the closed, tight mouth smile and harumph or something to that degree. Because we, for the most part, don't want to embarrass ourselves by making a scene. And because people crave acceptance but also struggle with setting ourselves apart.

Do you really just say something? I just don't see many people who speak up in most situations.

And yes, you are right when you say some people are unsympathetic and rude. And those same people do far worse things than make fun of someones disability. I would be more concerned with the actions rather than the words.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 06:56 am
A person I know who is normally pretty straight laced remarked :
"Airliner. Hit the dirt." (One was passing overhead). This a few years back. I didn't take offense, because I know how he took it to heart when 911 occurred.
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:48 am
http://www.amandaegge.com/webimages/9_11_.jpg
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:52 am

Is this for real or someones idea of a way to "get back" at the girl who made fun of Terri Schiavo?
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:13 am
Bella Dea wrote:

Is this for real or someones idea of a way to "get back" at the girl who made fun of Terri Schiavo?

No, the girl who made fun of Terri made that pic. Isn't she creative!?

Check her site: http://www.amandaegge.com/main.htm
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 02:02 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Montana wrote:
I think if it's fear that causes people to poke fun at people in tragic situations, they should really find another way to vent their fear. Crying works for me and it doesn't hurt anyone!

You have found your characteristic way of coping with fear, and tragic situations. Can you even consider that other people have developed different types of coping skills? Or do you believe that your way the only correct way?

My way doesn't hurt anyone, so what am I suppose to say to that?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 02:07 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Montana wrote:
Phoenix

You never giggle or smile when nervous? Or unsure of what to do? If someone tells an off color joke (perhaps something that toes the line of acceptable behavior), something that isn't horrific (horrific like saying they like torturing and killing small animals, for example) and you aren't sure how to react, what do you do? Just curious. A vast majority of people will do the closed, tight mouth smile and harumph or something to that degree. Because we, for the most part, don't want to embarrass ourselves by making a scene. And because people crave acceptance but also struggle with setting ourselves apart.

Do you really just say something? I just don't see many people who speak up in most situations.

And yes, you are right when you say some people are unsympathetic and rude. And those same people do far worse things than make fun of someones disability. I would be more concerned with the actions rather than the words.

I may not always say something when remarks are made towards other people, but you'll never see me laugh. I don't need acceptance from anyone, so that's not a factor.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 02:08 pm
You never have the uncomfortable smile? Or harumph? Wow. You are a better person than most.
0 Replies