Im sat here with a copy of the Bible..

turtlette

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 09:47 pm
Material girl, here is one that I like-

"He who watches you will not slumber." Psalm 121:3

It gives me a warm sense of well being to know I am being watched over by the most caring and loving creator...I sleep like a baby! :-)

And just for fun, or to learn, the word 'Love', I believe, is mentioned more times in the bible than any other word of so-called importance. Type it into a biblical site and see!

Focus on the good in all you do, when you can, and you will be amazed.
0 Replies

chiso

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:07 pm
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 02:04 am
Who sent the serpent?Was it a test?Is it si bad that they ate the fruit?What lust?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 04:57 pm
Song of Songs 2:3
As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so [is] my beloved among the sons. I sat down under his shadow with great delight, and his fruit [was] sweet to my taste.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:04 pm
Material girl, it seems that the primary qualification for religious belief is to be able to read this:
Quote:
And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."...

The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.' "

"You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.

and blame everyone but God for what happened.

God lied when he told Adam that he would die if he ate the fruit. The serpent told Eve truthfully that they would not die, their eyes would be opened, and they would be like God, knowing good and evil.

The church would have us believe exactly the opposite. Perhaps it is some kind of initiation rite. If you are gullible enough to believe that God did not deceive Adam and Eve but the serpent did - even when Bible itself absolutely refutes that interpretation - then you can be a Faithful Follower and will not quibble when you are told that black is white or wrong is right.

Eve had a mind of her own and was able to weigh the words of God, the serpent, and the evidence of her own eyes to determine that the fruit was indeed good. She risked her life to gain wisdom. If it had been up to Adam, we would still be running around naked and ignorant.

Eve should be revered as a heroine who paid a high price to bring knowledge to the human race. Instead, she is blamed for the pain women suffer in childbearing, the humiliation of being forced to submit to inferior men, and for bringing the burden of sin to all mankind. Not only that, but in many cultures women also toil in the fields and so must bear the punishment meted out to Adam as well.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:10 pm
Ahhh, the voice of reason, sweet the sound and clear the message.
0 Replies

chiso

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:38 pm
Materialgirl,
The story,
whether you choose to believe it or not,
that even some 6 year old bible students know,
is that God made Adam and Eve to live forever.
There was no death at the time they were made.
Disobedience is sin, sin brought death, and they're both dead.

But anyway, I get the feeling you were expecting the replies you're getting. Can you define your pursuit?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 09:18 pm
Chiso, you need to read your Bible a little more carefully. Adam and Eve were NOT designed to live forever. They could only do so by eating from the tree of life, but God didn't want any competition so he banished them. Adam's death at 930 years was certainly not a timely punishment for his alleged sin.
Quote:
And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever." So the LORD God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken.

Why did God lie to Adam and Eve about the consequences of eating the fruit? Why do you suppose that he wanted them to remain naked and ignorant? Is it logical that he would create a snake that was smarter than Adam - and could talk - and contrive a test that he knew Adam and Eve must surely fail, then consign their descendents to eternal suffering when they behaved exactly as he had designed them to do?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 01:30 am
If you want to read an account of what a spaceship looked like (to a pre-technological human) and how it lands, try reading Ezekiel 1:1-28.
Then again, he may have just been making it all up, but as it is in the Bible, it must be true. Just a question of interpretation really.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:07 am
Chiso, Im merely reading it as curiosity, I dont think its gona answer any questions, only confuse me even more.I dont mean to put the Bible down but some of it doesnt add up.
If somebody claimed an immaculate conception today, would anyone believe it?

Lord ellpus-Il have a look.
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:37 am
I found these verses to be quite interested.

Luke 21:12-36 "I tell you truly, that there are some of those standing right here who will never taste death before they see the kingdom of God. And there will be signs in the sun and moon and stars, and on earth an anxious mass of people in confusion over the roar of the sea and the tides, with people dying of fear and apprehension about what's coming over the world. Yes, the powers of heaven will be shaken. And then they will see the Son of Man coming on a cloud with power and great glory. When these things start to happen, look up and raise your heads, because our redemption is approaching. When you see these things happening, you know the kingdom of God is close. I assure you that this generation will not pass away till it all happens."

Likewise in Matthew

16:28 "I assure you there are some among those standing here who will never taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his monarchy."

24:34 "I assure you that this generation will not go by before all this happens."

Yet, 2,000 years later, when all his disciples are well and truly dead and bried, none of these things have come to pass and Jesus has not yet returned.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 03:48 pm
SN95 wrote:

Yet, 2,000 years later, when all his disciples are well and truly dead and bried, none of these things have come to pass and Jesus has not yet returned.

Let's be sensible SN95 you don't really think he ever would, do you?
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:03 am
Mathos wrote:
SN95 wrote:

Let's be sensible SN95 you don't really think he ever would, do you?

No but millions of people do.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 02:25 pm
SN95 wrote:

SN95

Yes breathed into them from their first breath. It will be a long time before logic prevails though. The preachers, all across the globe, milking it for every last drop. It leaves the poor souls with nothing, hope!
The audacity also of those in 'fancy robes and regalia' "forgiving sins."
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 09:24 pm
Mathos wrote:
SN95 wrote:

SN95

Yes breathed into them from their first breath. It will be a long time before logic prevails though. The preachers, all across the globe, milking it for every last drop. It leaves the poor souls with nothing, hope!
The audacity also of those in 'fancy robes and regalia' "forgiving sins."

There was a time when religion reigned over the earth, we now refer to this period as The Dark Ages. For many centuries laymen were not even allowed to read sacred scripture. We are fortunate to live in a time when information is readily available and is at our fingertips.

"...if devotion to truth is the hallmark of morality, then there is no
greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who
assumes the responsibility of thinking.... the alleged short-cut to
knowledge, which is faith, is only a short-circuit destroying the mind."
[Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged]
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 01:33 pm
[quote="SN95[/quote]

There was a time when religion reigned over the earth, we now refer to this period as The Dark Ages. For many centuries laymen were not even allowed to read sacred scripture. We are fortunate to live in a time when information is readily available and is at our fingertips.

"...if devotion to truth is the hallmark of morality, then there is no
greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who
assumes the responsibility of thinking.... the alleged short-cut to
knowledge, which is faith, is only a short-circuit destroying the mind."
[Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged][/quote]

Point absorbed SN95;

What valuations for or against are you willing to consider with regard to modern day religion in general, obviously considering the extremely delicate situations which are prevalent with 'The White Supremacists and Islam fundamentalists?'
0 Replies