Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:11 pm
A couple were mentioned in another thread. they were;
The Mouse That Roared
The King of Hearts
Some others are;
Grand Illusion
3 Kings
Dr StrangeLove
LE Denier Combat (I'm not sure on the spelling on this one)
Johnny Get Your Gun
Any others?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,052 • Replies: 22
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:12 pm
what, no bridge on the river kwai?
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:14 pm
I should of thought of that one!!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:19 pm
Wink
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:41 pm
Uh...I think it's Johnny Got His Gun. not Johnny, Get Your Gun. (If we're thinking of the same Dalton Trumbo script.) I'd add All Quiet on the Western Front to that list.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:02 pm
I would put "Apocalypse Now" near the top of the list. But then I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:07 pm
Jean Renoir's 1937 masterpiece La Grande Illusion belongs very high on any list of anti-war films.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:36 am
Ford's black and white masterpiece, The Red Badge of Courage, starring a certified war hero, Audie Murphy, is an anti-war film mascarading behind individual glory . . . i highly recommend it. The character known as The Loud Soldier, by the way, was played by Murphy's good friend, the then famous cartoonist, Bill Mauldin.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 07:36 am
Hiroshima, mon amour, and of course "Im Westen nichts Neues"/All Quiet on the Western Front (mentioned by Andrew already).
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 09:33 am
"Paths of Glory"
"Platoon"
"Catch-22"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:11 am
Ditto "Hiroshima, mon amour," its engimatic message still haunting when I recently saw it again -- those last few lines between the lovers (people or cities?) certainly pricked up my ears and sent chills down my spine at the same time.

Ditto "Paths of Glory."

I think this naturally overlaps Best War Film as most of those chosen were anti-war films. Despite the redundancy:

"Tigerland"
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:14 am
I think "Life of Brian" could be considered an anti-war film... I would put it in my list of favorites.

Quote:

Reg: All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
Attendee: Brought peace?
Reg: Oh, peace - shut up!
Reg: There is not one of us who would not gladly suffer death to rid this country of the Romans once and for all.
Dissenter: Uh, well, one.
Reg: Oh, yeah, yeah, there's one. But otherwise, we're solid.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:48 am
How could I forget Hiroshima, mon amour? Well, it's a long time since I saw it, that's how.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:50 am
Worth seeing again just as it's worth seeing "All Quiet on the Western Front" again.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:43 pm
Yes Merry It was Johnny Got His Gun. that's what I get for starting a thread on 3 hours sleep!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 06:50 pm
I'm curious to know what are the favorite versions of All Quiet on the Western Front among those here who remember it fondly. I'm going for the classic 1930 version, starring Lew Ayres . . .

http://www.britannica.com/oscars/Images/photos/omotpic043p1.jpg

That's Louis Wolheim there portraying Kat . . . he has that old pug's beaten up face that makes him just perfect in that role.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:22 pm
Good Morning Vienam
The Americanization of Emily
How I Won the War
Friendly Persuasion
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:28 pm
Setanta wrote:
I'm curious to know what are the favorite versions of All Quiet on the Western Front among those here who remember it fondly. I'm going for the classic 1930 version, starring Lew Ayres . . .

http://www.britannica.com/oscars/Images/photos/omotpic043p1.jpg

That's Louis Wolheim there portraying Kat . . . he has that old pug's beaten up face that makes him just perfect in that role.

it is my favorite as well. low key, unassuming, and stunning for its truly antiwar statments in 1930. watching it now, 75 years later, the sadness is profound thinking that just 10 years after its release ther whole world went crazy once again.

i was given the book to read when i was 14 by my dad after my uncle was killed in viet nam.

same as it ever was.

i watched the film a couple of weeks ago....that butterfly haunts me.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:00 pm
It's been so many years since I've seen the 1930 version that I don't remember it. However, I did like the Richard Thomas movie.

I was thinking of "Friendly Persuasion" too Edgar, but couldn't remember the title. I think Gary Cooper was in the movie. Right?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:04 pm
"On the Beach," and what was that one where everyday people living in Kansas could see the misslies coming out of their silos? I think perhaps it was "The Day After." I don't know if these movies were cinematically that wonderful, but they made their point to say the least. Oh, and "Dr. Strangelove."
0 Replies