0

Automobile Insurance

gollum

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 03:34 pm
I caused a small auto accident.

The other motorist's insurance company sent me as its first communication on the matter a letter stating that the damage claim is for $1,268.92.

In the next sentence it says that in an effort to resolve the matter, it will accept $634.46.

In the next sentence it says that there could potentially be additional payments that I am responsible for.

Questions
I thought the other motorist was supposed to get a repair price (or three of them) and submit a claim for the lowest one. How much did the other motorist pay to repair his car and why is he offering to settle for half?

How do I know that the amount demanded is legitimate based on the amount paid to repair the car?

If the insurance company demands more money later how do I know whether to pay it?

3  
Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 03:44 pm
@gollum,
Call your own insurance company (I hope you have one) and report the accident if you haven't already. Turn over all of these communications to them. They will handle all negotiations. If the other motorist's insurance company continues to call them, refer them to the claims adjuster handling the claim at your insurance carrier.

This is why you buy insurance. This is all a part of the adjuster's job.
gollum

1  
Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 04:40 pm
@jespah,
jespah-

Thank you.

I don't own a car and don't have auto insurance.

I flew to Florida that day, rented a car, declined to pay a charge for auto insurance for the rental.

1  
Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 05:19 pm
@gollum,
I'm only guessing, but if liability is required by state law, I'm guessing the insurance is part of the rental. That is, the only insurance you can waive is collision and/or comprehensive. I kind of hope ehBeth will jump in here. She knows lots of stuff about insurance.
gollum

1  
Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 07:49 pm
@roger,
roger-

Thank you.

Maybe I am not liable then.

ehBeth, what do you say?