Is there such thing as Ghosts?

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 09:47 pm
My question is as per the topic. I am drifting btwn a yes and a no answer - I am roman catholic but I have also heard the stories about royal ghosts and everything else. Feel free to tell a ghost story here, if you want, but my main aim is opinions to this question.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,677 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:03 pm
I'm gonna say.....no. None. Not one.

But then I have yet to see any evidence of a soul, a spirit, a god, or an honest car salesman either.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:05 pm
Eorl wrote:
But then I have yet to see any evidence of a soul, a spirit, a god, or an honest car salesman either.

So much for belief and confidence in society... Laughing
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 07:10 am
Nope.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 07:28 am
Yep.
No reason why 'people' cant 'exsist' on different 'plains'.(Did I use ' enough?)
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 08:12 am
material girl wrote:
Yep.
No reason why 'people' cant 'exsist' on different 'plains'.(Did I use ' enough?)

Actually I think you're supposed to use "s... Razz

No reason, except that the brain responsible for their thought is still here and has disolved into a raw collection of molecules that have been scattered beyond being able to perform their function.

Unless you're talking about alien creatures from other planes of existance who are native to their particular reality. Don't know that I would consider Cthulu a ghost.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 08:53 am
How did you know my brain doesnt function properly?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 08:52 pm
material girl wrote:

because you use too many 's that should have been "s

Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 09:43 pm
I know there are phenomena we don't always understand, but none of it points to there really being ghosts, in my book.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 10:18 pm
Everyone is a ghost.

We wish and we work and we pray
for something in the future that is idealized, ephemeral,
then by will, coersion, or fault,
we go on our way.

Candles blow out every day.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 01:16 am
To really find out, go to a famous haunted place for a certain amount of time (with friends, bring flashlights, lots of flashlights), conduct an observation and use measuring instruments to measure anomalies, and don't forget camera, set it up everywhere. I wouldn't recommend it though. I'd be shocked if I can last 2 days(or even a whole day) in that kind of place. Smile
0 Replies

Hamal

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:00 am
Ha, found it. I really need to learn to bookmark better.

Infrasound

The link goes to the Skeptic's Dictionary, an explanation of infrasound and a cool anecdote about a researcher working in the "haunted Warwick lab".

Not offering this as proof for or against the existence of ghosts. Just thought it was very interesting that infrasound could be responsible for some of the stories we've heard. Possibly?

edit: typo
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 09:54 pm
material girl wrote:

I meant the brains of dead people...

Their brains don't work so they can't think thus making it kind of hard to wander around going, "Tucker, tucker, I've come back with a warning".
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 01:33 am
Infrasound
Quote:
18.98 hertz--the exact frequency at which a human eyeball starts resonating. The sound waves made his eyeballs resonate and produced an optical illusion: He saw a figure that didn't exist.

THAT's cool!

I've experimented a lot with a Velodyne HGS-18 subwoofer that goes down to 15Hz pretty well with decent accuracy.

With any clean speaker, you can hear standing waves as you walk around the room -- a pure tone gets softer and louder depending on how the reflections from walls and surfaces mingle with each other. Moving six inches can make a huge difference! It's kind of like at the beach, when there are certain places that the waves add to each other to form a large crest, or cancel each other out and the water stays flat although surrounded by violent waves.

With a low subwoofer, you FEEL the sound rather than hearing it. Moving slowly around the room, you can feel different parts of your body vibrating, as you run into a standing wave.

It's kind of like a "haunted spot", but I never thought to try my eyeball on it! Cool! :-)
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 05:30 pm
CodeBorg wrote:
It's kind of like a "haunted spot", but I never thought to try my eyeball on it! Cool! :-)

It's interesting eh?

Ok - so I get the idea the general majority here doesn't believe in ghosts.

Now I have seen documentarys on how people believe that one's soul can leave you - during sleep or any time (heard of those NEAR-DEATH experiences?) Who thinks what of that?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:33 pm
I won't have a bar of any sense not directly involving organs and brains, however I have ENORMOUS respect for the power of human imagination.

Personally, I have such a strong imagination, it gives me memory problems. I can imagine I locked my car as clearly as I can remember doing it...so did I lock the car? I dunno.

I think people who can "leave thier bodies" do the same thing. (I once thought I could...during a stage where I learned to control my dreams)
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:38 pm
Eorl wrote:
I won't have a bar of any sense not directly involving organs and brains

I got that idea Laughing . You are a very on your feet, down to earth person. :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:43 pm
Ghosts are a marvelous plot device.

In the Western World they are also a rich resource for personal symbolism.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:51 pm
Ghosts are like UFO's they're more fun to belive in than not to belive in, but don't expect one in your parlor any time soon.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 07:35 am
I bought Ghostbusters at the weekend and watched it.
They looked real to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
0 Replies