Humour

Satyr

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:19 am
Yes, that and the fact that you are more aware of what is occurring around you and why, offers more opportunity to be faced with the absurdity of it all.

Also consider the nature of self-awareness and knowledge.

Both are based on the mind putting things into order. Finding patterns and labeling them is what the mind does.
Therefore the more aware the mind is the more in search for empowerment the more things it will find order, the more patterns it will perceive and then the more likely it is to be surprised by a reality that does not adhere to his order.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:09 am
There is a corollary to our 'awareness' of the inherent futility of everything, juxtaposed against the need to create meaning, in our response to the implications of that futility.
And there is a side effect to this intellectual imposition of importance onto the hollow shell of meaninglessness that supports our cultural bubble, in which we seek to find sense; and there is a cure for the malaise induced by it.
The side effect is despair; the cure is 'humour'.

[our ability (indeed 'demand') to NOT take ourselves 'seriously', is all that protects us from dissolving prematurely, into the void]
0 Replies

Satyr

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 09:04 am
BoGoWo
Quote:
There is a corollary to our 'awareness' of the inherent futility of everything, juxtaposed against the need to create meaning, in our response to the implications of that futility.
And there is a side effect to this intellectual imposition of importance onto the hollow shell of meaninglessness that supports our cultural bubble, in which we seek to find sense; and there is a cure for the malaise induced by it.
The side effect is despair; the cure is 'humour'.
Quote:
[our ability (indeed 'demand') to NOT take ourselves 'seriously', is all that protects us from dissolving prematurely, into the void]
In the end, one must become indifferent even to ones self or risk believing his own need.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 09:42 am
we are a joke played upon us by no one; signifying nothing.

[at the 'core' there is only a smile, a wink.........., a glint of recognition.]
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 11:38 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
we are a joke played upon us by no one; signifying nothing.

[at the 'core' there is only a smile, a wink.........., a glint of recognition.]

D

Do we play the joke on ourselves?

Some say it is our "desire to exist" that keeps us returning here.

Are we playing the joke on ourselves, only we don't quite know it?
0 Replies

Satyr

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:48 am
BoGoWo
Man defines meaning and creates purpose.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 01:55 pm
Satyr wrote:
BoGoWo
Man defines meaning and creates purpose.

Consider the case of a man that grows to an adult, and refuses to define a meaning or purpose for his life, for his existence. He in fact endeavours to remove all semblance of meaning and purpose from his life.

Would there still be a meaning and purpose?

Would the meaning and purpose = meaningless and purposelessness?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 11:49 pm
extra, if he did that, would they be his true purpose and meaning? Perhaps his real purpose is to demonstrate that a life could be lived without purpose...in which case he will have failed.

Therefore, is such a meaning and purpose possible?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 12:02 am
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 12:03 am
Eorl wrote:
extra, if he did that, would they be his true purpose and meaning? Perhaps his real purpose is to demonstrate that a life could be lived without purpose...in which case he will have failed.

Therefore, is such a meaning and purpose possible?

Ok, so it seems we're saying that having "no purpose or meaning" is impossible as a human?

I mean: if you are born, by virtue of that birth no matter what you do, will you necessarily have some sort of purpose and meaning? Is it possible to live without meaning & purpose?

But back to the "Humor" thing--I really do think we play a large part of the Universal Existential Joke on ourselves. ?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 12:13 am
I think having no purpose or meaning is possible....but that in itself could not actually BE a purpose or a meaning.

As for humour....them jokes are funny !
0 Replies

Satyr

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 06:14 am
extra medium
Quote:
Consider the case of a man that grows to an adult, and refuses to define a meaning or purpose for his life, for his existence. He in fact endeavours to remove all semblance of meaning and purpose from his life.

Would there still be a meaning and purpose?

Would the meaning and purpose = meaningless and purposelessness?
Quote:
You are what your deep, desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny. ( Brihad. iv.4.5)

Man wills meaning and makes purpose.

If he wills meaninglessness and purposelessness, then that's what there is.

A mind with no ideal is a mind lost in itself. Ideals are how man strives to be more.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 11:58 am
Satyr wrote:
Quote:
You are what your deep, desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny. ( Brihad. iv.4.5)

Man wills meaning and makes purpose.

If he wills meaninglessness and purposelessness, then that's what there is.

A mind with no ideal is a mind lost in itself. Ideals are how man strives to be more.

And there's the rub.

Man desires to be something. Strives to be it.

He either succeeds or fails in his dream.

But either way, it is soon taken away.

Time washes it all away, relatively quickly.

Thus, in this desire to Be, to Strive, To Be More,

Is this where Man Plays The Joke on Himself?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 11:14 pm
Each person changes the future of everything (within a sphere expanding at light speed from the moment of conception) in some way or other....do we each simply strive to make that impact as effective as we can?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 02:44 pm
Eorl,

That sounds as good an idea as any.

Still seems like jokes are played on us though...but thats ok Exclamation
0 Replies

Satyr

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 06:08 pm
extra medium
Quote:
And there's the rub.

Man desires to be something. Strives to be it.

He either succeeds or fails in his dream.

But either way, it is soon taken away.

Time washes it all away, relatively quickly.

Thus, in this desire to Be, to Strive, To Be More,

Is this where Man Plays The Joke on Himself?
From an individual perspective this is true.
All dreams, all creations, all striving is washed away or it becomes irrelevant after death.

But from a species or a group perspective one can say that there exists a sliver of hope that man can become more or reach a greater existence.

Eorl

Quote:
Each person changes the future of everything (within a sphere expanding at light speed from the moment of conception) in some way or other....do we each simply strive to make that impact as effective as we can?
Interconnectivity ensures this.
But again the impact might be long-term or restricted to a particular time/space.

What's for sure is that the enjoyment of it is temporary.
Perhaps some pride can be found in finding the right team and helping it reach eternity, even if we might not be there to enjoy it.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 06:37 pm
Satyr,

I enjoy reading your pieces.

Did you happen to do one on Existence or The Human Condition or some such?

Great style. I may not necessarily agree with everything you say, but it is some great writing & logic--and you have no qualms about stating your case, however unique it may be. Nice.
0 Replies

Satyr

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:19 pm
Thanks.

I believe everything I've written is about the human condition.

If you want more I give you my Blog here, where I've posted most of my thoughts.

http://constantinosa.blogspot.com/

You'll have to do a little exploration to find ones that interest you.

Most of my views get me into trouble though. It seems that most can't tolerate that level of honesty or deconstruction. They prefer the surfaces of lucidity.

Or maybe you can start with something more artistic posted on this board here:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48788
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:16 pm
Satyr,

Thanks, more good stuff.

Are you in a sort of hell? Admittedly it seems to be an attractive hell, of sorts. (disregard if this is off the mark--and no, I'm talking about religion--talking more about mental states and such...)

It seems like you have the brains to get out of there if you Really want to.

Do you want to?

Side note: for a thread on Humor, this thread has taken on one of the more serious threads of any I've seen...
0 Replies

Satyr

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 06:15 am
Hell is a relative terms, isn't it?
I mean I can ask someone in the Sudan, living in a shack and not knowing if he'll live to see tomorrow, while he's eating a rare meal if he's in hell and he'll probably tell me he's in heaven at the moment.
For me he's in hell.

But I write to get things off my chest. So it is obvious that most of what I write about will have that slant of despair coming out.
This doesn't mean that this characterizes my life.

Another factor to consider is that awareness burdens the mind with added material to fuss over.
An animal's awareness is minimal in comparison to a human's -well most humans, at least - so it lives a relatively carefree existence.
No existential anxieties, no search for meaning, no worries about the future no reflections on the past or what can occur after death. An animal lives in the present. It is in bliss.

Awareness adds another dimension to existence. There are more things to consider and, in keeping with the subject, there are more things to find absurd.
0 Replies