Modern philosophers- jukeboxes...

spendius

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 09:42 am
Literature is about literature.The ideas are neither here nor there.Beautiful writing.

Flaubert's ambition was to write a book about nothing.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 11:42 pm
We had to wait for Seinfeld for that. Laughing
0 Replies

jmfan

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 03:41 am
Aren't we all philosophers?
To varying degrees, we are all philosophers. We are partaking in a discussion on philosophy for goodness sake.
0 Replies

val

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 04:45 am
spendius

Quote:
Literature is about literature.The ideas are neither here nor there.Beautiful writing.

Very interesting idea. I agree in some obvious cases - Mallarmé being perhaps the most obvious.
In music there are similar cases, like Richard Strauss with his opera "Capriccio".

But do you think that art being the object of art can be viewed as a general rule?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 09:31 am
Quote:

Here's an offering from Nietzche on the subject.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:54 pm
Books will sometimes help to connect an idea or some ideas together.

Many times I've stumbled a passage in a book where I've said: "Yes, this is what I had thought but I wasn't able to express it this clearly".
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 03:55 am
Joe FX wrote:
Quote:
Many times I've stumbled a passage in a book where I've said: "Yes, this is what I had thought but I wasn't able to express it this clearly".

I know what you mean. I am sometimes seduced by the sheer skill of the writers. Some can produce the most beautiful passages, and I find myself at times wanting to believe what is said simply because it is said with such eloquence.

This reminds me of the "opponents" of Plato and Socrates. I don't remember what they're called, but one of them was named Gorgias or Gorgas. Scoundrels the lot of them Smile
0 Replies

val

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 04:03 am
Cyracuz

It is Gorgias. He was one of the most respected sophists in Socrate's time.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 04:27 am
Sophists was the word I didn't recall. Thanks val. I recall the debate between Gorgias and Socrates, where Gorgias claims that if you know rethorics you know everything. Socrates proves him wrong of course. But I think we would need another Socrates or two or three if we were to prove the modern sophists wrong.
0 Replies

val

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 02:10 am
Cyracuz

We only know the sophists from the presentation that Plato gives of their ideas in order to refute them. It is not the best way to know someones works.
In some of those dialogues, I must say I am on the side of the sophists (see the Protagoras, or the Hypias). They claimed that moral was relative, according to a specific time and place. And they believed that virtue can be learned - Plato, of course, didn't.
Sophists were the first philosophers with a sociological perspective.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 03:09 am
That is true. They were sort of the villains in a hero's tale.

I do not believe that virtue can be taught. You can dress a monkey in a suit, it will still be a monkey.

or

You can take the girl out of the trailerpark but you can't take the trailerpark out of the girl

But in any case, sophists or other philosophers, they are dead, and we are alive. We should turn off the jukebox and make a new song.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 12:59 am
Anyone planning on developing their philosophy into a piece of literature?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:31 am
That would be a short piece of paper...
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 01:24 am
Ray wrote:
Anyone planning on developing their philosophy into a piece of literature?

Yes, I've been making an effort of this sort for some years now. In effect you've inadvertently uncovered the source of my initial response to this inquiry:

Nietzsche wrote:
To me, someone who, by their own accord, spends a great deal of time thinking about serious philosophical, societal, and cultural issues, and subsequently writing those thoughts down and fine-tuning them, all the while maintaining an entirely impartial attitude (insofar as this is possible): such a person is a philosopher.

In other words, an attempt must be made to emulate and immitate the tasks of other philosophers.

I have roughly five 200-page notebooks worth of material, but still nothing resembling a "piece of literature"; it's a lot harder than one might think. But to uncover a bit of my "true self" to the board, this is more or less what I've been up to for the past five, six years.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 08:44 am
Nietzsche wrote:
[I have roughly five 200-page notebooks worth of material, but still nothing resembling a "piece of literature"; it's a lot harder than one might think. But to uncover a bit of my "true self" to the board, this is more or less what I've been up to for the past five, six years.

is changing your avatar part of that process?

i think message boards & blogs are a form of literature, assuming one doesn't exclude popular writing from the literature classification.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 06:49 pm
Interesting Nietzche. Smile . 200 pages is a lot.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 04:06 am
Nietzche wrote:
Quote:
In other words, an attempt must be made to emulate and immitate the tasks of other philosophers.

I disagree. Isn't that the way to becoming a jukebox?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 05:55 pm
That certainly does not sound like Nietzsche. Unless, he meant that philosophers must engage the challenges of past anthropologists but not their conclusions.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 05:33 am
JLN wrote:
Quote:
That certainly does not sound like Nietzsche. Unless, he meant that philosophers must engage the challenges of past anthropologists but not their conclusions.

I think that's what he meant.

If we see the question as the root and the answer as the flower I think I'll be able to explain myself. You sow a seed and it takes root. This is the question. Then a flower peeks up through the dirt, and with nurturing it grows bright and beautiful. This is the answer.
But what happens if you remove the flower. If you sever it from it's roots and take it home it will die. It will fade and become dry and shriveled. A fragile thing that crumbles at the slightest touch.
So, in the same way that a flower is nothing without it's root, an answer is nothing without it's question. You can sever the connection, but then it's only a matter of time before the answer becomes old, taken for granted and eventually dead.

So engaging former anthropologist's problems is in a way like sowing their old seeds. We are sure to get the same flowers.

It is my opinion that the show of constancy and coherency is the flaw in every philosophy. It is a charade, an elaborate sheme to hide the fact that all these answers came to the philosopher in jumbles, not like the strings of pearls he presents.

Maybe should be a new philosophy. One that takes this lack of coherency into consideration. Not one that seeks to explain and justify the world, but one that can arm the people in it to find their own happiness. Maybe this philosophy already exists. I don't know.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 12:15 pm
Cyracuz, yes. You say that "it's only a matter of time before the answer becomes old, taken for granted and eventually dead".
That's how rigid and blind doctrine/dogma and dead metaphor/cliche come into existence.
0 Replies