Modern philosophers- jukeboxes...

val

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 05:44 am
cyracuz

Quote:
No, you do that entirely on your own. The present is the total existence of everything. Nothing can exist outside it. The present is the grand total of time. Future and past both exist within the present. And not at all without it.

???????

Quote:
Our perception is an extension of evolution. Evolution is the creator of time, as time is the creator of evolution. They are inseperable, and it is the interaction that creates the present. Time is not time without it's counterpart, space.

Evolution is the creator of time? Can you explain that, please?

Quote:
The existence of "a moment" is also illusory. It is the construct you have chosen to categorize your world.

Exactly what I meant.

Quote:
Incidentally, do you believe time travel (in the H.G. Wells, time machine, sense of the word) is possible? It is my opinion that this notion stems from a misunderstood concept of time, and is therefore just a dream.
[/QUOTE]

No. The time machine would "go" 10.000 years ago and find itself alone in space. The earth moves.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 06:03 am
Quote:
Evolution is the creator of time? Can you explain that, please?

I did, in an earlier post. The example of music. What I mean is mutual existence. Think about beats and silence. Without the silence the beat would be an unbroken noise. So the silence prevents the beat from being everything, and in turn the silence is not nothing. It's the same with space and time. They create eachother.

Quote:
No. The time machine would "go" 10.000 years ago and find itself alone in space. The earth moves.

Think about it. There are many flaws in this reasoning. Your example deals with moving in space and time. The idea was timetravel as travel in time, but not in space. Travel in time and space is just normal travel.
0 Replies

val

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 12:54 am
Cyracuz

Quote:
I did, in an earlier post. The example of music. What I mean is mutual existence. Think about beats and silence. Without the silence the beat would be an unbroken noise. So the silence prevents the beat from being everything, and in turn the silence is not nothing. It's the same with space and time. They create eachother.

Yes, but that has nothing to do with evolution. You are talking about relations, and there I agree. Any sound has only meaning in relation with other sound, or silence.

Quote:
Think about it. There are many flaws in this reasoning. Your example deals with moving in space and time. The idea was timetravel as travel in time, but not in space. Travel in time and space is just normal travel.
[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I meant. If you travel only in time, 2.000 years ago, you could not be in earth, because 2.000 years ago earth was not in that position. You see, you didn't move in your time machine, but the planet did.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:37 am
Yes, I see. That is one of the reasons I think timetravel is just fancy imagination.

The thing with time is that it is only a relation. Like the sound and the silence. Imagine all the matter and energies in the world compressed into one dense configuration. It would be everything, like sound not interupted by silence. Time, then would be nothing, same as the silence. Then matter starts spreading, and in so doing it creates time, by dividing into this nothingness. This nothingness then prevents matter from being everything, and in turn both time and evolution have mutual existence. They are one, because they create eachother by unfolding themselves. Their separate identities are dualistic illutions.

That is why I think timetravel is bollocks. It is the notion that one can turn back time without turning back evolution. That is impossible since time gets its existstence and all its attributes from evolution. We only have a notion of time because we know about evolution, about change, and the reverse is also true. We only have a notion of evolution because we know time. They are two sides of the same story, mutual existence.
0 Replies