When did Mitch McConnell abandon America

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 01:31 am
What's more important? The future and security of the United States or Donald Trump's wallet?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 1,886 • Replies: 53

engineer

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 05:58 am
@glitterbag,
What is missing in the ongoing story of the shutdown is how Ryan and McConnell completely abandoned any responsibility to the American people. Ryan's role is being completely ignored, but he was sitting on a bill the Senate approved with 90+ votes and he refused to call a vote or work towards a solution for the first two weeks of the shutdown.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 07:53 am
Nonsense!

Mitch McConnell is a Republican senator who represents Kentucky. I am pretty sure the American voters in his district largely support the wall and most probably support the shutdown.

This thread is a partisan attack, it's not a reasonable argument. I don't see how McConnell could do anything more without betraying the American people who put him into office.

If the parties were reversed, you would realize how silly these ideological attacks are. If a Democratic senate leader stood firm against a Republican house leader trying to block something you considered urgent (e.g. climate change) you would not want him to cave... this is about the ideological war (rather than some nonpartisan principle).
Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 08:00 am
Kentucky produces more than 100 million tons of coal each year. Plump has touted using coal in his MAGA bullsh*t (surprise, surprise!). McConnell is your average garden variety politician. His loyalty is entirely to his own re-election.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 08:03 am
@Setanta,
Tell me a politician who isn't loyal to her own re-election? That's how democracy works... you are accountable to the voters.

If this isn't just about ideology... give me an example where you think a progressive politician should abandon their ideological principals for "America". It is very easy to suggest that the other side should concede, but that has nothing to do with any higher principle.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 08:09 am
@glitterbag,
When did Mitch McConnell ever had the US in mind when trying to ram his self-serving agenda while in the Senate?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 08:10 am
@tsarstepan,
You are a liberal attacking a Conservative politician. How surprising.

I have no problem with you doing this... I am only pointing out that it isn't particularly principled.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 08:13 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Mitch McConnell is a Republican senator who represents Kentucky. I am pretty sure the American voters in his district largely support the wall and most probably support the shutdown.

Unites States Senators ... don't have districts. They literally represent the entire state (regardless a sizable population from said state voted for them or not).

This point isn't about semantics. I'm sure you really don't know much about government and how it's structured.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 08:14 am
@tsarstepan,
I always thought that Kentucky was, in fact, a US state.

Silly me.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 08:14 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I am only pointing out that it isn't particularly principled.

maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 08:18 am
@tsarstepan,
I am using the word "principle" to refer to something that transcends party.

Wanting your side to win and the other side to concede isn't "principled". Everyone wants their side to win and the other side to concede.

A principle is something that you would adhere to even if it meant your own political side losing.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 08:19 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I always thought that Kentucky was, in fact, a US state.

Silly me.

And a state isn't a district. And you wrote district not state. Hence, I direct quoted you. But you're not a strong reader... so...?

In this context, a US Representative from Congress represents a district that votes her or him into office.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 08:30 am
@tsarstepan,
You are being silly.

The point is that most of McConnell's constituents (in a state that voted for Trump and where Trump still has a good approval rating) support the wall and likely want McConnell to stand firm.

Do you accept this?

You want your side to win and the other side to concede. This isn't particularly principled, and there are many Americans who still want Trump to win this fight.

McConnell is representing his constituents and there are many Americans who agree with his position. That's how democracy works.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 08:50 am
Ostensibly, "making America great again" entails putting Americans back to work. (Leaving aside the question of when America stopped being great; when they elected and then re-elected a black man?) Are we to assume that that does not apply to Federal employees? They still have mortgages to pay, car payments to make; they still need to put food on the table and clothes on their children's backs. The Senate Majority Leader and the Speaker of the House are offices of national trust.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 09:20 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
The Senate Majority Leader and the Speaker of the House are offices of national trust.

So if someone started a thread suggesting that Nancy Pelosi is "abandoning America", it would be equally valid? One partisan team wants McConnell to give in. I suspect that no one on this thread (so far) thinks that Pelosi should give in for the good of the country.

I think Pelosi is going to ultimately prevail. Trump is playing a weak hand very badly. But I don't think it is fair to fault McConnell for supporting his constituents and his party.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 10:09 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
What is missing in the ongoing story of the shutdown is how Ryan and McConnell completely abandoned any responsibility to the American people.
As if Republicans have a duty to capitulate to Democrats?

If the left wants the government reopened, let Trump have his wall. Get something valuable in return for it, like DACA. Then both sides can make nice speeches about how they compromised and how they achieved something nice for their voters.

If the left prefers to fight, don't be surprised when the Republicans refuse to roll over and surrender.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2019 12:12 pm
The thing is that Trump really doesn't know WHAT he wants. It changes every 15 minutes. Even when handed a bill he planned to sign just a whiff of criticism from Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter he caved. It was a bill that gave Republicans everything they wanted and what Trump wanted....it just didn't pass muster with Ann and Rush....so Trump backed out and asked for even more.

Donald Trump is a bottomless pit of 'wants', there will never be enough, not enough power, not enough money, not enough women. He doesn't trust anyone because he is untrustworthy. He has even paid pollsters to cast him as a top businessman, he believes news will end when he is out of office because he is the only thing worth talking about....He's the guy who cheated his way thru college and yet believes he graduated at the top of the class. It's delusional and chaotic and he is sucking the air out of all the rooms.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 01:13 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

... and he is sucking the air out of all the rooms.

I agree with that. However the issue at hand in the stalemate appears to be very clear, and so far the Schumer,/Pelosi team hasn't budged - despite the fact that both previously supported funding for border barriers. Suddenly, in their expressions the Wall has become "immoral" --- when did that happen?

Our immigration laws, together with various court decisions, have become unenforceable. That has been the case now for almost three decades, but so far none of our political leaders has had the courage to deal with it directly. Indeed the Democrats have rejected every proposal the President put forward. The timidity of both Republican & Democrat legislators on these issues is a long-standing problem, and it is not yet clear that they will have the will and integrity to deal with a rational reform of our laws that deals fairly with potential immigrants and provides control of the process.

Our southern neighbor, Mexico, doesn't enforce its immigration laws and is partly controlled by various criminal cartels. The recent testimony of El Chavo at his trial indicating that he has paid a one hundred million dollar bribe to then President Nieto (after getting a request for 250 million) is a telling indicator of the hazards we face on our southern border.

It takes two to Tango or continue the stalemate we are enduring. Trump certainly doesn't do much to encourage comity on his key issues, however, the Democrat leadership appears to be at least equally strident in their opposition.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 02:05 pm
Oh dear, has speaker Pelosi and leader Schumer lost patience with President man baby? Well I hope this time Trump runs all this by Ann Coulter before he commits again to sign a deal like the Republicans brokered earlier. It would save a lot of time and allow the workforce begin to recover from the unnecessary shutdown.

Fortunately things are looking up, Don jr and big Don are encouraging their supporters to send bricks to Nancy and Chuck....what could possibly go wrong. Maybe once Nancy and Chuck come to grips with the outrageously reckless behaviour that the Trump gang are dreaming up and encouraging, maybe the can have them committed for observation.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 02:43 pm
We don't need no wall, just a bit of humanitarian concern and adequate law to catch actual criminals.
0 Replies