edgarblythe wrote:
I hope they don't give him a wall.
No wall, no DACA fix.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 01:17 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I hope Pelosi holds out for citizenship for DACA kids.
With the courts ruling against Trump on DACA he basically tried to give Democrats something they are already winning.
Citizenship for those kids would be a win.
I wouldn't count on continued wins in the court. The courts might ultimately side with the left, but what happens if the Supreme Court suddenly sides with Trump?

Regardless of the situation in the courts, I do think that Pelosi should try to get as much as she can in exchange for the wall. I'd be fine with her holding out for citizenship.

What she shouldn't do is just refuse to negotiate and try to block the wall no matter what. I don't know if that is what she is planning to do, but clearly some people are hoping for that outcome.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 01:38 am
I suppose the better question would be "Why did mush mouth Mitch abandon America"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2019 06:35 am
McConnell spent his whole career waiting for Trump to come along. Now his fondest wishes are engaged.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 10:01 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Racism certainly is the issue with Plump. From his neglect of Puerto Rico, to his shithole countries remark, calling for more immigration from Norway, he has consistently demonstrated his racist attitudes.

You're making it up as you go along. Heroin comes from southeast Asia, via the middle east and central and western Europe. The largest seizures of heroin in recent years have been in Iran and Turkey. But that doesn't fit the dimwitted conservative narrative, does it? Even the heroin that does come across the Mexican border came from European sources. Additionally, it comes across secreted in vehicles at legal crossing points. That boneheaded wall project wouldn't stop the drugs.

Plump's border wall bullshit is about his enforcing his will. You can bet he doesn't give a rat's ass about heroin addicts. He shold just go over to the capitol and lay down in the rotunda and drum his heels and scream until he gets his way--it would be perfectly in character.

DEA Heroin Signature Report (2106)

https://www.dea.gov/sites/default/files/2018-10/Heroin%20Signature%20Report%20FINAL.pdf

It turns out that US DEA chemical analysis of heroin samples seized across the country and other investigative analysis indicated that Mexico was the geographic source for 86% heroin entering the United States throughout the four year period ending in 2016. Moreover DEA estimates that Mexican criminal organizations control distribution within the United states through the "mid wholesale level"

The other sources found were in South America and Southwest Asia. None from Turkey or Iran.
Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 11:18 am
@georgeob1,
You crack me up. Of course none were from Iran or Turkey--they're the only nations of which I know who are making a significant effort to seize heroine. That does not address the issue of how the heroine got from southeast Asia to Mexico.

Quote:
But while 90 percent of the heroin sold in the United States comes from Mexico, virtually all of it comes through legal points of entry. “A small percentage of all heroin seized by CBP along the land border was between Ports of Entry (POEs),” the Drug Enforcement Administration said in a 2018 report. So Trump’s wall would do little to halt drug trafficking. Trump’s repeated claim that the wall would stop drug trafficking is another Bottomless Pinocchio claim.

Source at The Washington Post

Is your reading comprehension slipping with age, George?
georgeob1

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 11:29 am
@Setanta,
It was you, not me, who very loudly asserted that most of our heroin came from the Mid East and Southeast Asia. The DEA report ( a bit more reliable than the Washington Post) indicates that none of the heroin identified came from either source ( the Southeast Asia sources have moved on to synthetic opioids). I was a bit surprised and disappointed in your unwillingness to accept factual correction.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 07:58 pm
The extremist idiocy of calling Trump a racist is proof of how the word no longer has any meaning. It is merely an ideological weapon.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2019 06:03 am
@georgeob1,
That's false, I said it came from southeast Asia, I did not say it came from the middle east. A great deal of the heroin in this country, as well as the synthetic opioids, comes in by air to New England, New York and New Jersey--which is why they have the highest rates of opioid overdose deaths. That comes in from Europe. China appears to be the largest manufacturer of illicit, synthetic opioids (and their government apparently doesn't give a rat's ass), and those are flown in, too--coming by way of Canada in that case. Should we build a wall on the Canadian border, too?

You seem to have lost track of the subject here. Plump's border wall is a pointless exercise in "I want what I want when I want it." That's why I described him having a temper tantrum on the floor of the Rotunda. Heroin accounts for about 37% of opioid deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control. The synthetic opioid fentanyl alone accounts for 40% opioid overdose deaths. Plump is magnifying the danger of heroin from Mexico in his continuing tantrum over the wall he wants.

All you want to do is argue in favor of the fat boy in the White House. Don't lie about what I've written in the attempt to make your case. Plump's idiot border wall is not going to end drug smuggling into the United States.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2019 06:16 am
It is interesting he is bringing both Trump's bill and the democratic bill to the Senate floor for a vote. It's expected both bills will fail. Trump's proposal sneaks in children's asylum measures that no democratic will vote for.

But McConnell has repeatedly said the democratic bill is a show vote. And has refused to allow it to be voted on. So why now? He doesn't have to do this. He can, as Leader, only bring the resolutions he wants. Is he expecting to make a mockery out of it? Or is he thinking, maybe, just maybe enough republicans will jump ship and just want to open the government enough to pass it for next 17 days so federal workers get paid right before another shutdown?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2019 10:05 am
@Setanta,
Here's what you actually wrote …

Setanta wrote:

You're making it up as you go along. Heroin comes from southeast Asia, via the middle east and central and western Europe. The largest seizures of heroin in recent years have been in Iran and Turkey. But that doesn't fit the dimwitted conservative narrative, does it? Even the heroin that does come across the Mexican border came from European sources. ….

all of which is contradicted by the DEA report I cited.

I have not claimed that a border wall will stop either the smuggling of drugs or people (increasingly at the hands of criminal gangs and coyotes) across our border. However I have noted that our border controls now are in a state of chaotic ineffectiveness, and such measures can improve them.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2019 11:04 pm
@georgeob1,
I have not claimed that a border wall will stop either the smuggling of drugs or people (increasingly at the hands of criminal gangs and coyotes) across our border. However I have noted that our border controls now are in a state of chaotic ineffectiveness, and such measures can improve them.

It's true since most of the people who protect the borders and shorelines have been working without pay for about a month now. Some are furloughed, then recalled to work without pay. The actual damage being done to the functioning government is much more dire than federal employees not being paid. It cripples law enforcement, intelligence collection or anything that relies on contractors. Cleaning crews are not working, which is disastrous to the small businesses that have contracts with the gov't. Day Care providers can't be paid, and parents who can't pay may lose their spots...

Today, I had an upper endoscopic exam, 40 patients had called in to reschedule their appt's because they can't pay the co-pay. (It's a huge practice). People are rationing their insulin....but hey, as long as Trump wins, who cares if you have a few toes removed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 12:07 am
If they give Trump that wall money it will just teach him that he can do it again any time he does not get his way. This and the fact no wall is needed makes me feel we should not give in.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 12:29 am
@georgeob1,
And what I actually wrote does not say that the heroin comes from the middle east. Again, don't lie about what I've said in the attempt to make your feeble case. Once again, the drugs come across the border at legal crossing points, secreted in the chassis of vehicles, so the fat boy's idiot wall would do nothing. He started out saying that the people who come across the border are rapists and murderers, which is not only racist, but impossible to prove. So now he's trotted out this drug smuggling dodge. It's just pathetic that you attempt to defend this creep.
0 Replies